U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM

16 posts, read 8,781 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I currently live in Wisconsin and want to move to Florida within the next 18 months. I’ve been doing a ton of research (thanks sooooo much to all who post on hear) and we’ve narrowed our cities down with Tallahassee being one of them. We’ll be in Destin at the end of April for vacation and plan to drive over to Tallahassee for the day to check out the city and try to get a feel if we would like it.

My main question is what spots should we visit while we are there to get a good feeling for the city? We plan to come on a Sunday to go to a couple open houses in our price range which is around $225k-250k. I know we’re not in the market yet but want to check out the style of houses. It sounds like the north and northeast sides are where to look. Are there different “main” street areas where a lot of restaurants and shops are located? Any recommendations where to drive around? What are some nice golf courses as we both really like to golf?

Here’s some quick info on us in case it helps. We're in our low 30's. Right now it’s just the two of us but we’re trying hard for some additions to the family so a good school district would be nice. We plan to rent for the first year to really understand the areas before buying. We both really like to play golf. We love local restaurants, not national chains, when we do go out and we love seafood. We like to catch some college basketball/football at the bar every once in a while. We like to fish and maybe take the dog to the park every once in a while. Most nights we just love to sit on the back porch and have a drink/dinner.

Also, let me list why Tallahassee is at the top of the list just to make sure I have a good feeling for what the city offers.
- Pretty good public schools compared to other areas in Florida
- Most homes seem to have good size lots with a lot of homes .5 acres or more
- You can get a lot of house for the price compared to where we're coming from
- Sounds like it has a southern feel which we love. A good size city that doesn't feel like either a college town or a huge metropolis
- Has plenty of restaurants and shopping
- Has a good park system and decent fishing

The main negatives are that there is not the constant ocean breeze that most of Florida gets so the summers might be a little stickier/sweltering. The nearest good beach is a couple hours away. The nearest large airport is 2.5 hours away, Jacksonville. All the talk about crazy electric bills makes me little nervous.

Thank you in advance to all that help!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,451,683 times
I wrote out a super long post and then my iPad refreshed the page.

Dang.

Anyways. Yes Tallahassee has what you want.

Golf courses: Southwood, Killearn, Golden eagle, fsu has a nice course as well.

Shopping/dining hubs. Midtown, Gaines street/College town, All Saints, The Market District

Drives: drive thomasville rd from Monroe st north to bradfordville this will let you see midtown and north east Tallahassee.

I also reccomend you look at housing in east Tallahassee near buck lake, out mahan drive.

Lakeshore is nice also, as well as the many suburban communities off north meridian rd. (ox bottom, Summerbrooke, etc)

Then their is the area that is old bainbridge north of tharpe st all the way until capital circle, thats a nice area as well.

Be sure to go to Tom brown park while your here, and Lafayette heritage trail park,

Miccossukee Greenway is fun as well.

Last edited by TD*; 03-05-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
TD*

Beach is not that far. Best close beach to see the water is bald point state park/ alligator point.

Shell point is probably closest, but it's very small.

St George island is pretty much tallahassees beach as it's 1.5 hours and the nicest in the area.

Parks and green ways here are amazing. As is the surrounding landscape.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 AM
TD*

Drive through Florida state university and Gaines street to see the collegetown/ Gaines street district emerging and you will end up at cascades park which will be open mid march.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
TD*

Don't worry about the utility bills. they are not drastically higher than other places when you combine everthing into one bill. When u see how nice the city is and everything it has to offer you won't want to leave.

Plus did i mention how amazing the city is for families? Great Schools, great parks and recreation department, Great activities, good local food and entertainment, good shopping, and a great sports scene to take advantage of with FSU.

Neighborhoods are safe, People love it here.

Welcome to the Capital City, your new home.

Last edited by TD*; 03-05-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks so much for the quick reply TD*. We'll definitely make the suggested drives to check out those areas. If you were there for the day where would you grab lunch and dinner to check out a couple different spots? Maybe a couple of the areas you suggested like Midtown or around FSU? Also, where is the market neighborhood? Can't find it on the map. Sorry for all the questions it's just that we're pretty serious about moving there and want to see everything we can in that day to help with our decision.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
TD*

The Market District, is Around Interstate 10 and Thomasville Rd.

Village Square Boulevard, Market Square Shopping area.

Its more of a shopping/dining district.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
TD*

If your looking for a great lunch spot, grab lunch at Hopkins Eatery in the Market District.. Maclay Gardens State Park is right nearby so you can go there, and walk the gardens (Beautiful) or go to Lake Hall.

Also Lake Ella is in Midtown, and is a great place to walk around the lake with little shops surounding it.

Go to Lake Ella, or Maclay Gardens...

What type of food are you looking for?

Best pizza in the area is Momo's which also has a brewpub in their restaurant (2 locations, 1 in Market District, 1 near FSU)

Walk around FSU for sure, its a beautiful campus.

Im not one for fine dining, but UrbanSpoon could probably help you with that.

What type of food do you want?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
TD*

Also Check out Southwood area for houses.

So many great neighborhoods.

Betton Hills, Old Town, Lafayette Park, Park Ave,

I could go on and on.

Myers Park, etc etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Not looking for fine dining more just something good and local. We love seafood the most, like BBQ a lot, pretty much everything except any vegan/vegetarian type place. Is Tallahassee known for any certain type of food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee