U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,633 times

Advertisements

I've had enough of the weather in upstate NY and want to relocate south. I found a job in my field in the Tallahassee area ( I would have to live in Gadsden, Leon, Liberty, or Wakulla counties). I'm in my mid twenties and would like to live in an area where people are around my age, not a retirement community. Also, I'm more into a rural area where I can have a yard. Rather than city yet I'd like to be close enough to amenities and parks. I would be buying, I just don't know the best area to look. As far as price goes, Im not really sure because the pay scale is quite a bit different between here and there and I don't know how much different the cost of living is. To be safe I would be looking for places 200k or less. Any input from someone who knows the area would be great! Thanks for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,455,663 times
Hey there. There are a lot of different neighborhoods to point you towards, but we need more info.

Are you looking to live in Leon county? or in a surrounding county?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
You need to live in Tallahassee. Forget Wakulla, Gadsen, etc. The only area that has the amenities you need and people your age is Tallahassee. You can buy a nice 3 bdrm house in a nice area for less that 200k in most of Tallahassee. Now granted Gadsen, Wakulla etc are more rural, but they don't have any amenities at all...all you get is rural.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,633 times
I would need to live in Talquin Electric service area which is those four counties I believe?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM
TD*

Yes,

Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
You can get pretty close to Tallahassee in Wakulla County. There is more of a commute to town (20 - 45 minutes). You do not need to move to those counties to get all that you want though. Tallahassee has lots of areas on the outskirts that would give you the space that you need. Tallahassee is also a very green city. There are lush landscapes of greenery every where you look. Lots of flowering trees and draping Spanish moss and lots of parks and green spaces. Tallahassee also has a lot of historical points of interest. If you would like a neighboring area with a lot of charm I suggest Monticello, FL. Tallahassee is beautiful and you will love it here !

Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 AM
TD*

I agree. Live in leon county.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM

70 posts, read 101,124 times
Lots of younger people live in the Indian Head Acres off Apalachee Pkwy. The houses are small, reasonable, many atomic ranches from the fifties, many lots close to a half-acre, very active neighborhood association. A grocery co-op called New Leaf is really close. The only reason I didn't buy in that area was the Apalachee Pkwy traffic, but I'm cranky about traffic in my old age. I think if I were younger I would be okay with it. Use zip code 32301 in your Zillow search and check out especially streets with Nene in the name. Nene is a Seminole word for trail, I think.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 PM

48 posts, read 117,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC825 View Post
I would need to live in Talquin Electric service area which is those four counties I believe?
Most, if not all, of Tallahassee is on The City of Tallahassee utilities. The unincorporated areas of Leon county are on Talquin electric.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM

9 posts, read 12,300 times
You're getting a lot of good information on here, REC825! It's true that Tallahassee is pretty rural in itself. Most people have yards in Tallahassee, unless they live in an apartment or a complex. Most single family homes have nice sized yards though. There's lots of trees and green space here; no need to go too rural. If you need to be on Talquin Electric, you can still get pretty close in, you just have to be outside the city limits. When you search, search in Leon County instead of Tallahassee. You could also call Talquin Electric to see if maybe they have some parameters they could give you on where their service areas are located. Their phone number is (850) 893-6853. I'm sure they will be closed Monday.
Hope this helps,
Cynthia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: