Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo711 View Post
Hmm...I'm here...I'm seeing...I'm not very satisfied. It's a college town with college mentality. The adults act like college kids, the drivers are always in a hurry (tailgating drivers is fun to them and going 20 over the speed limit is common - I don't get it ). I see cops (sheriff's if you will) but they're never doing anything but driving around. You'll really freak out on your first few weeks because if you've even been to Florida, you'll quickly become disappointed. It isn't Florida...it's Georgia.

If you move here, enjoy the sun, the cool winter weather, stay away from Walmart and the FSU area and you just may survive the Tallahassee area for a few years.

And here come the angry masses on why Tallahassee is everything I just told you it isn't....do research and visit the place...you'll see I'm right.
I am wondering how much of Tallahassee you saw outside of the student ghetto and Wal-Mart...there is a lot more to Tallahassee than the strip malls on Monroe Street and the Parkway.

The fact that it is not like the rest of Florida is GOOD thing, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 46,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Dude, you shouldnt have any problems, we need nurses here, and the cost of living is definately lower than new jersey.. We have a city bus system called Star Metro that you could ride..

Come on down
Hehe! Actually I'm a dudette. LOL!
And an UPDATE on if we moved yet or not well not yet but still talking about it. Mom found out a week or so ago that she can get $0 down payment for up to $200,000 house in NJ. Of course that may be different down in Tally as I still don't know how much LPNs make down there and would love to know where the buses go in the "country" like settings (if any)? She prefers to work in a nursing home down there or a rehab or do home care but how much do LPNs make there? Think up here she makes about $60,000 ish or so a year up here in NJ.
Thanks for replying to me. Hopefully someone can give us info for that area. Also I've been reading on this site that jobs are very hard to get if you don't have a profession including part time jobs??? Thanks again.
Heidi

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Rock-

I'm not from Tally but the job market is terrible everywhere, including part time.

An LPN could probably find work but $60K is impossible. Look at this link.

Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Rock-

I'm not from Tally but the job market is terrible everywhere, including part time.

An LPN could probably find work but $60K is impossible. Look at this link.

Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth?
Yea but isn't the cost of living cheaper down there than up here in NJ? I heard it is. Even when my mom talks to the realtors down in that area that is what they are saying. Plus my mom can get more than one job down there just like she does up here too which will help us. I hear LPNs are needed down there big time. Thanks for your reply though.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
I can't compare Tally with NJ since I've never lived in either place.

That said, you have to be careful about COL comparisons. Generally FL salaries don't match their northern counterparts, but does the supposed lower cost of living balance that? In my opinion, no. Everyone's situation is different and we all have different expenses. Home insurance and property taxes are two areas that are higher in FL than a lot of other places. The same for car insurance. I have read on this forum that taxes and insurance are high in NJ. If so, does the higher salary compensate for that? It is all a balancing act.

If you read the posts from others wanting to move here, even other than Tally, you will see what I mean.

Why Tally? What is your motivation to move?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I can't compare Tally with NJ since I've never lived in either place.

That said, you have to be careful about COL comparisons. Generally FL salaries don't match their northern counterparts, but does the supposed lower cost of living balance that? In my opinion, no. Everyone's situation is different and we all have different expenses. Home insurance and property taxes are two areas that are higher in FL than a lot of other places. The same for car insurance. I have read on this forum that taxes and insurance are high in NJ. If so, does the higher salary compensate for that? It is all a balancing act.

If you read the posts from others wanting to move here, even other than Tally, you will see what I mean.

Why Tally? What is your motivation to move?
Taxes and insurances (home and car) are VERY high in NJ too and I heard that NJ is one of the highest in the country. I don't know what is higher than NJ though.
I have a friend near the Tally area and am thinking of going to FSU. Right now the only thing stopping us is money to move our stuff really and waiting on my mom to get her FL LPN license.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
It's old and a college town.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
doesn't tallahassee have one of the highest rent per capitas around?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
doesn't tallahassee have one of the highest rent per capitas around?

Yes, in the student areas.

There are a lot of rent-restricted developments however:

http://www.floridahousinglocator.com

Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdykoomy View Post
49% white

51% black

if you're ok with that then it's all good. it's definetly the down-side of it though because most of them perform according to the "black" steroetype of being the N word
Those statistic are incorrect.

So is your racist comment.

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 320,304 people, 125,533 households, and 75,306 families residing within the MSA. The racial makeup of the MSA was 63.59% White, 32.17% African American, 0.31% Native American, 1.49% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 1.01% from other races, and 1.39% from two or more races. 3.72% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee