U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 AM

15 posts, read 38,924 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that some folks already discussed the issue of high utility bills in Tally, FL. However, I want an up to date information on this continuous issue.

Tallahassee was my NO. # 1 choice to relocate my family. I have a wife and 2 kids. But the reason why we decided not to move here is because of the many reviews we read from residents who have outrageous utility bills. I understand that the bill includes all in one. Water, Trash, Electric, etc. However, if I rent a townhouse or condo of 2-3 bedroom, should I really expected over 200-300+ utility bill every month?

Perhaps the utility company recently came out with a new program or new assistance that will regulate and help bring down the bills? Has anyone seen an improvement recently on their utility bill.

Any sincere and honest answer and assistance will help my family and I make the right choice. My wife was really looking forward living in Tally, due to the many positive reviews of the city including being a family oriented place and great schools, but I wont be able to afford our living if the utility bills are that high.

We live in Fort Lauderdale, FL - We currently pay $80 a month for electric. Water is included in the rent, so I know that I will pay more but I would want to pay at least $150-160 a month. I cant afford a monthly bill over $200 every month, that's too high.

Also, please advise if there are any areas in particular that are better than others in Tally.

Thanks all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 AM

47,449 posts, read 68,233,712 times
I agree - $200 a month is way too much. Reducing electric bill starts with saving energy at home.
https://www.progress-energy.com/flor...ey/index.page?
Most common are:
- set your thermostat higher (78-80F) and use ceiling fans
- reduce hot water used for washing clothes
- switch to fluorescent bulbs for areas of constant use
- turn off the lights when leaving an empty room
- unplug electronics and appliances when not in use
- use more energy-efficient appliances
- make windows more efficient ( install screens, insulated shades and window quilts)

Also please read this:
Utility Bill Payment Assistance Products & Services
Leon County assistance programs | Tallahassee
Florida utility and cooling assistance
Tallahassee Florida utility bill assistance programs
Florida Utility Bill Assistance and Help

Good luck!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM

15 posts, read 38,924 times
Thank you for that information. Very Helpful!!!

Can anyone tell me if they have seen any improvements in the utility bills this year?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,590,210 times
Yes. they have come down.

Their is no question you get more house for your money up here.

What you may pay a little extra in utilities, you save in other areas.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 12,564 times
orlavin
This was quoted from Choose Tallahassee in January, 2014: "The City’s rates remain below the state average. Since October 2008, City electric rates have decreased by 27 percent, which equates to a $110 million annual reduction in electric costs for Tallahassee." So in the past six years the electric rates have dropped 27%. To attract more families, the Commissioners know that this is an issue that continues to require their attention. If you're going to relocate, I wouldn't lallow electricity rates keep you away from this beautiful city.
Hope this helps,
Cynthia

Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 66,374 times
If you live outside of the city limits (at least to the north), which in most cases is going to be more desirable anyway, you will be on Talquin Electric as opposed to City of Tallahassee. Having lived in a place for 7 years that was through Talquin, and now living for the past year in a place in the City of Tallahassee, the cost of electricity has gone up significantly. I live in a 3/2 town house and from May through September we have never had a bill under $200, and I believe the sq. footage of my place is only around 1,200.

One thing to consider that will greatly affect this will be the quality of the place you are living. Poor insulation, door/window seals, etc will really hurt you. A friend of mine lives in a 2,000 sq. foot house out in Southwood, which is a fairly nice community in Tallahassee, and he told me his average power bill for 2013 was nearly $400. Granted he keeps the thermostat on 73, there should be no such thing as a $400 utility bill on a 2,000 sq. ft home.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,278 times
Utility costs depends on the type of home you live in. I lived in one apartment and a townhouse and both electric bills were in the $400 range (with two people) because of the heat. You cannot cool a second floor in some of these places, so be careful what you choose. My townhouse had the sun beating down on it through the living room;it was extremely hot and costly. And be sure to watch out for apartments. One apartment I lived in charged you water each month (depending on whether you were in a 2/2 or 2/1 or 1/2) I had to pay the same water bill as the 5 people who lived above me and I am very conservative so while I had to pay much more than I used; the 5 people upstairs were quiet happy with their bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee