U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM

75 posts, read 101,559 times

Advertisements

Why don't you do a little research before you start calling people names. Here is a little hint, you can't control your subconscious mind. Your response is pitiful at best. Next you will tell me that you are color blind. LOL

Racism is hardwired into the brain, say scientists - and it operates unconsciously.
The same circuits in the brain that allow us to see which ethnic group a person belongs to overlap with others that drive emotional decisions.
The result is that even right-thinking individuals make unconscious decisions based on a person's race.
Skinhead: But most racism operates on an unconscious level, say researchers - and even 'right thinking' individuals may react in a racist way
Skinhead: But most racism operates on an unconscious level, say researchers - and even 'right thinking' individuals may react in a racist way
Brain scans have proved that interactions with people of other ethnic backgrounds set off reactions that may be completely unknown to our conscious selves.
The finding may force researchers to think about racism in entirely new ways.
It's possible, the researchers say, that even right-thinking, 'egalitarian' people could harbour racist attitudes without knowing.
The chemicals involved in perceiving ethnic backgrounds overlap with those for processing emotion and making decisions, according to new research.

More...
Facebook kills off 'Find Friends Nearby' feature after stalking fears over GPS app
And the findings published in Nature Neuroscience could lead to fresh ways of thinking about unintended race-based attitudes and decisions.
Dr Elizabeth Phelps, of New York University, and colleagues reviewed previous brain scanning studies showing how social categories of race are processed, evaluated and incorporated in decision-making.
They showed a network of brain regions called the the amygdala, dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and the anterior cingulate cortex are important in the unintentional, implicit expression of racial attitudes.
The researchers said the brain areas themselves - as well as the functional connectivity among them - are critical for this processing.
Dr Phelps said: ‘A few decades ago, it was unthinkable that looking at the brain to understand representations of social groups such as black versus white was even possible.'
Dr Phelps said: ‘A few decades ago, it was unthinkable that looking at the brain to understand representations of social groups such as black versus white was even possible, let alone that such explorations could yield useful knowledge.
‘Evidence from neuroscience has been vital in clarifying the nature of how intergroup cognition unfolds.
‘Moreover, the neuroscience of race has been useful in pointing the way toward the type of new behavioural evidence needed to answer questions of not only what happens when intergroup cognition is at stake, but whether and how change is possible in real human interactions.
‘How to use this knowledge from brain and behaviour to further extend basic knowledge and to drive applications is the obvious next generation of questions that we must pose.
‘If good people who intend well act in a manner inconsistent with their own standards of egalitarianism because of the racial groups to which 'the other' belongs, then the question of change takes on new and urgent meaning.
‘This urgency requires that we attend to the evidence about how our minds work when we confront racial and other group differences.
‘Thus far, we have obtained modest evidence about these processes as they operate in our brains, unbeknownst to our conscious selves. The question of what we will do with these insights awaits an answer.’

Read more: Racism is 'hardwired' into the human brain - and people can be racists without knowing it | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited by Dazed1; 07-06-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 17,931 times
Dazed1, I appreciate you trying to make me believe that everyone is racist, I really do but I would just rather not. Ok?
I could give you counters and studies contradicting you which then you will refute and give me counters and more studies. Let us not do that. Ok?

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Guys, listen. All that I wanted to get from this question is the Interracial "dating scene". I am not in a relationship but I do not expect to be single forever. I am considering Tallahassee as a place where I can go to college. I hope to have a good time in college and make many friends and long lasting meaningful relationships. I have mostly dated "inter-racially" or shown interest "inter-racially" therefore I would much rather go to a place where I can do such without many "idiots" around and about.

So, guys and gals, how is the Interracial Dating Scene in Tallahassee?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 PM

113 posts, read 186,287 times
Who cares? Do you think people won't serve you at a restaurant or something?
Look, it's a city where 25% of the people are employed for the state capitol. Plus there are 60k students between FSU and FAMU (which many would be transplants). Plus there are all the professors for FSU/FAMU. It just isn't your typical southern city. Will there be people who look at you weird? I am sure, but for the most part, I doubt people are going to care. This really isn't something you should be worrying about.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 PM

Guys I am not worried about getting beat up or stares.
Imagine if I was homosexual and asked "How is the gay dating scene?"
I am just asking about the so-called " dating scene"
Understand?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM

6,723 posts, read 9,450,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAskin' View Post
What?^

I actually have a different theory. In Biology class what I learned is animals are more likely to mate with others which are more genetically different. Healthier offspring, ya' know. I think racism is much more socially built rather than naturally.
Sorry for being nosy because I don't usually visit the Tallahassee/Florida forums and much less participate, but this thread caught my attention, especially your post. Maybe these links and video to a recent study will clarify why. They are all of the same study, but some journalists do a better job in summarizing the information, this is why I link several sources.

Genes matter: People marry mates with similar DNA but different immune systems

[url=http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2014/05/19/people-more-likely-choose-spouse-similar-dna-finds-cu-boulder-study]People more likely to choose a spouse with similar DNA, finds CU-Boulder study - See more at: http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2014/05/19/people-more-likely-choose-spouse-similar-dna-finds-cu-boulder-study#sthash.GnPmUyKJ.dpuf[/ulr]

Genetic Match? People Marry Those With Similar DNA

Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
Dazed1,

Everyone's racists? No, but I'll agree that you are a racist.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM
TC9

1 posts, read 1,575 times
Just Askin'

I don't know a lot about Tallahassee, but I know a lot about Florida, the South, and what it is like to be an interracial relationship.

Despite what the others are saying, it of course matters what the community thinks - to certain extent. Most everyone wants to have friends and be treated with respect by people in general. No one likes having to worry about having their food spit in at restaurants or people you thought were your friends start acting unfriendly when they realize you are dating someone outside your race.

I will add that you shouldn't be encouraged by some of the responses. They don't seem very understanding at all of interracial relationships, but they are not all from Tallahassee. One is from NO and another OKC. I would look for another website that has a forum of people who have been in an interracial relationship in Tallahassee.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 PM

2,183 posts, read 3,028,298 times
I've never met anyone under 50 who gave a rip about inter-racial dating, redneck or otherwise.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 AM

143 posts, read 147,821 times
I've lived in tallytown for 25 years ( recently moved) and have known a few interracial couples and it was no big deal for the most part. There are people who are racist everywhere but tally seems to be no more concerned with it than other major areas. Be aware that the areas surrounding Tally are verrrry southern and rural so be careful in the outlying areas. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: