U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 AM

10 posts, read 17,936 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am thinking of going to Tallahassee very soon (for school) and I am just wondering how interracial relationships are viewed over there. I just really want to be around open minded and friendly people. I got nothing to go on so your help would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 AM

480 posts, read 959,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAskin' View Post
Hey all. I am thinking of going to Tallahassee very soon (for school) and I am just wondering how interracial relationships are viewed over there. I just really want to be around open minded and friendly people. I got nothing to go on so your help would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Surprisingly, you should not have a problem in Tallahassee especially when considering the amount of diversity among college students in the area as well as permanent residents. However, there are idiots everywhere but I'm sure you know that already.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,060,262 times
Firstly, why are you so worried about what other people think about your relationship? I don't care if strangers are accepting of my marriage.

Secondly, what kind of problems exactly do you think would arise from people disapproving of your marriage? Are you expecting people to show up at your door step with pitchforks? If so, you may be the bigot.

(I guess I qualify as being in an inter-racial marriage but to me its just a regular marriage.)

Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 AM

I'm not in a relationship... I just want to go to a place where that would be no problem especially if I am going there for college. I am really considering FSU.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,060,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAskin' View Post
I'm not in a relationship... I just want to go to a place where that would be no problem especially if I am going there for college. I am really considering FSU.
Why would it be a problem? Interracial relationships are perfectly legal in all 50 states. You shouldn't have any legal problems and it's extremely rare for attacks or anything like that to happen because of it. Some guy got beat up by some blacks around here a few months ago because he was white and his girlfriend was black, but like I said these things are rare. You'd probably be more likely to die in a car accident.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,712,336 times
Usually when I hear interracial that pretty much always means a black guy with a white woman. Most other combinations fly under the radar and don't cause much of a stir.

I would suggest that the OP not worry about it and don't bring that kind of angst or turmoil in to a relationship as it will most likely cause you stress and iissues in your relationship if you are too concerned with what other people think. There's always going to be people that will look at you funny or mutter something behind your back no matter what. If that's something you can't get over you will have issues.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Why would it be a problem? Interracial relationships are perfectly legal in all 50 states. You shouldn't have any legal problems and it's extremely rare for attacks or anything like that to happen because of it. Some guy got beat up by some blacks around here a few months ago because he was white and his girlfriend was black, but like I said these things are rare. You'd probably be more likely to die in a car accident.
I see where you are coming from. Thank goodness that it is legal everywhere. But what I am trying to decipher is if such a thing is looked down upon or frowned upon or if the majority of people there are really blinded enough to treat someone differently because of that. I would hate to be criticized for dating another member of the Human race. Also I want to know if the guys and girls there "mingle" regardless of race so that............ you know. I have pretty much only dated others outside my race so a place where INTRAracial dating is the only expected norm just won't fit with me.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,187,840 times
Maybe it's just me but do people really have a problem with inter-racial couples today? Maybe some little 95 old granny (of any race) might have a problem with it but really? I can't even imagine anyone being so backwards today.

I think if anyone did DNA testing on any of us, we would find out that we are all mixed.....

Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 AM

75 posts, read 101,576 times
Everybody trips over themselves to be PC. Everybody is racist, it was a protection built in by evolution. You don't think it is racists for Obama to call Trayvon Martin his son, and then totally ignore the fun killing of Christopher Lane in Duncan Oklahoma. Why would this question even be asked by someone not in a relationship. Somebody needs to quit chasing rainbows.

I can parade out thousands of white girls who have destroyed their lives, while Baby Daddy rots in prison. You can have the cold hard facts or you can dance around in your little dream world.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM

What?^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1 View Post
Everybody is racist, it was a protection built in by evolution.
I actually have a different theory. In Biology class what I learned is animals are more likely to mate with others which are more genetically different. Healthier offspring, ya' know. I think racism is much more socially built rather than naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: