U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

Hi,I am looking to move in a years time. I lived in Miami for 8 years and that was beautiful for me. Not all beautiful but,now I want to live in florida where it is not as hot as miami. I am not finding anything good with searches. Just awesome homes that take section 8 in high crime areas. I am a single mother and might be moving with out my daughter. I need to take public transportation and would also love to live near walmart. Could you help me. I am 44,and disabled so a clinic near by would be great. thanks very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM
TD*

1,605 posts, read 3,456,428 times
Tallahassee is a good choice! Its far enough north that you get a taste of 4 seasons, and not the constant summer of south florida.

I reccomend opening up google maps typing in Tallahassee and searching for walmart.

You can then see rentals that are in proximity to each of Tallahassees 5 walmarts.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,449 times
Thanks so much for the advice. I been searching for hours and I am scared of the burglary ratings there. I did find a super walmart in a town a ways over.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 AM

113 posts, read 186,719 times
I just moved up here from Miami. I am glad I made the move.
I am not well-versed in everything Tallahassee, but maybe I can still offer help.
First, like most of Florida, the public transportation is not good.
Second, no Wal-Marts are really in the city. So you would have to live pretty far out. I guess you could make it work. See what the bus schedule is like.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 AM

5 posts, read 7,976 times
I have lived in Tallahassee for 8 years of my life. Pre-teen to 20 years old. I also lived in South Florida as a kid. Big differences you will see in Tallahassee/Leon County, it's not as tropical as South Florida nor is it a beach town. Tallahassee is mostly a college town, there are two major universities within the city limits. Everything is mostly catered to either college students or state workers. The weather in Tallahassee is hellish in my opinion. It's either extremely hot from May to about November; then it's extremely cold from the end of November to about March. A typical high in August will be around 95 degrees and humid; while in the winter time the highs can fluctuate from 35 to 80 degrees. North Florida is part of the deep south so sometimes you will feel like an outsider wondering around a backyard in Georgia. Tallahassee is also not as populated as Miami or diverse. The public transportation system is, once again, catered to mostly college students. Most of the buses run around the TCC/FSU/DOWNTOWN/FAMU area and they shut then down at around 8pm. If you want to see the routes, the bus system in Tally is called STARMETRO. As far as Walmarts go there are mostly OUTSIDE of the city. There isn't any in Downtown, however, the one on Tennessee Street has buses go by it all the time. As far as clinics go, I don't really know of any, however the Leon County Health Department in Frenchtown is second to best. It's in a not favorable neighborhood, but its a free clinic. I would say, as a South Floridan, Tallahassee is more home feeling and the people there are real. I moved out to seek a job in the Tampa Bay Area. Would I go back to Tallahassee? In my opinion, no. It's backwards and crazy about college students. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by SaintPetersburg1993; 08-05-2014 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer about clincs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee