U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 40,215 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Tally next month. Midtown sounds like a great area, but I wondered if anyone down there can verify that. Is it safe to walk down Meridian at night past Lake Ella to the bars and restaurants? I also have a dog that I wouldn't mind taking on walks. Curious to know if the area is safe.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
Yes, it is a great area and very safe!

You will enjoy it very much!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,606 times
Safe, but it's a small area. Just a few streets. When you hear the name "Midtown" a fabulous, artsy, area comes to mind. That is not true in Tallahassee. It is extremely lacking in culture, fine dining, & entertainment.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM

779 posts, read 840,647 times
Midtown Tallahassee seems to be more of an idea than an actual real place. Obviously, there is a midtown but it doesn't have the cosmopolitan feel that the idea of "midtown" brings to mind. I would say that it's relatively safe to walk around but it doesn't really seem to be a pedestrian friendly area in general. Tallahassee is still a very car dependent city.

Out of all the places to live in Tallahassee, I would still probably choose Midtown over anything else.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 AM

23 posts, read 28,910 times
Bhamoutlook,

Could you elaborate on why Tally is a very car dependent city? Are you just referring to midtown because not many places are in walking distance? I will be moving to Tally soon and have been told that there is a lot of things in close proximity (maybe that is just around FSU though). Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 PM

779 posts, read 840,647 times
Yes, Gritzen, I am mostly referring to areas away from FSU. If you are a student and are going to be living on or near campus, you will be fine. There are plenty of things that are walkable over there. However, for anyone else wanting to live in Midtown or other parts of the city, it is built more for cars in mind. Pedestrian cities tend to be built/planned so buildings are to the front of the street without parking lots and are all connected so it's easy to get to many places by foot. Tallahassee is mostly standalone buildings and strip malls. Although, they do have a great sidewalk system throughout most of the city.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM

23 posts, read 28,910 times
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 6,133 times
Midtown is very safe.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 AM

71 posts, read 63,752 times
If you don't want to take a car, the bus routes are (presently - this could change in the near future) very direct and have quick transfers at the terminal. Uber rates are also very low if going from Midtown to FSU on non-busy days.

Midtown is okay, but property values both near campus and in midtown are on the rise lately. Very much a part of town to live in only if you want to pay more live in an insular and myopic bubble of "haves" and away from "have-nots" ("safe", a term other people here are using, is a problematic little bit of classist code language for "few poor people").

Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
It's a very desirable place to live. Neighborhoods there are beautiful, there are shops and stores to go to, and it's also developing an urban feel in some parts. New developments that focus on ground floor retail and Walk ability are popping up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: