U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:52 PM

7,767 posts, read 4,770,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
What some call traffic, others would... not. Being from Miami, I could never consider anywhere in Tallahassee having traffic nightmares.

Tallahassee can't be compared to Austin, Richmond or Raleigh and will never be like those cities. There's no airport. Most major companies won't relocate there. If they even had one airline like Southwest or JetBlue, but they don't. It's not like they're a suburb of Jacksonville or Orlando either. You have quite a trek if you want to fly in or out or have cash to burn with a regional flight. It's always going to be limited, but maybe that's what they want.
Actually, they have an Airport and Delta flies back and forth to Atlanta 6 times a day - half of them on mainline jets. They are also connected to American's/US Airways' hubs in Charlotte, Dallas and Miami but almost exclusively by regional jet.

Good post though, and I agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,514,031 times
Yeah, the regional jets don't cut it and only flying half the time on mainline jets to one city isn't going to either. When I said no airport, I meant a regular airport that flies to major cities on regular planes. I can go to PDX Portland, OR from MIA for less than the cost to fly to TLH. To not spend an arm and a leg you have to drive all the way to JAX. That's ridiculous and will keep Tally limited in growth.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM

10 posts, read 11,214 times
Part of the reson is because the people here have already gotten comfortable in their wealth. Definatly a city that practises NEPOTISUM! its a way for the richer to stay richer.. Think about it .. new wealth means your changing the dynamics of those already in power. their though is to keep it small so that thos with power in wealth power does not decrease. This relates back to my previous notions that I have placed below .. all of this information is interconnected. Its a social issue no matter how you put it. ANNNNNDD you know how people in power feel about social issues ... lol

--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** I advise you to look up the area codes here via the census to see the employment and neighborhood .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS

But if you already understand these hidden rules of tallahassee ,,, proceed! This is just my opinon tho ..demographics to back this post

- Hope it all works out for you!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 12,803 times
Because it doesn't want to be. The people actually put a lot of time and effort into keeping it from getting better. Attitude is everything. For years they kept out good jobs with companys that wanted to locate here and now they whine that they don't have this economic diversity. The towns you mentioned weren't afraid of outsiders the way Tallahasseeans are and welcomed smart and successful people from other areas to settle in and improve the place for everyone. Tallahassee only wants improvement for the "right" people, not for everyone and so it keeps getting passed over. It is actually surprising how hard they work to remain behind.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,138,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmomlivesintally View Post
Part of the reson is because the people here have already gotten comfortable in their wealth. Definatly a city that practises NEPOTISUM! its a way for the richer to stay richer.. Think about it .. new wealth means your changing the dynamics of those already in power. their though is to keep it small so that thos with power in wealth power does not decrease. This relates back to my previous notions that I have placed below .. all of this information is interconnected. Its a social issue no matter how you put it. ANNNNNDD you know how people in power feel about social issues ... lol

--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** I advise you to look up the area codes here via the census to see the employment and neighborhood .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS

But if you already understand these hidden rules of tallahassee ,,, proceed! This is just my opinon tho ..demographics to back this post

- Hope it all works out for you!
No offence but I would not hire you either, you seem to have an anger management problem. Good luck with that!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 13,554 times
A small correction: according to the U.S. Census, Leon County, FL had 283,988 people as of July 1, 2014. Of that number, 188,107 live within the city limits.

And, yes, the city LIKES to keep itself small. It's actually a large town, charming, with lots of inner city green spaces, but still a town. One way it has kept itself small is to keep the air traffic down. Today, as of this moment, there are 20 flights scheduled to depart and 20 flights scheduled to arrive. In fairness, though, the airport has just become an international airport, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes this will attract more airlines and get the fares down to a place where people and businesses will be more attracted to the city and residents can travel more. Going to Boston, Newark, or New York? Good luck getting there in less than a full day, for less than $900.

Geographically, the city has spread to the northeast, actually making it much more rural, albeit residential, non-farmland rural. This website shows Tallahassee as 100% urban. Ummmm. . . no. That NE spread has assisted the traffic problem, an inevitable problem since, historically, there was little planning or infrastructure put it place, except in the downtown area. New road projects actually make the traffic problem MUCH worse (but will eventually assist the traffic flow). How bad is the traffic? Yesterday it took me 45 min. to navigate from West Tennessee St. to East Tennessee St., a distance of almost 9 miles. Tennessee St. is the east-west road to get through town.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 PM

480 posts, read 961,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewsician View Post
A small correction: according to the U.S. Census, Leon County, FL had 283,988 people as of July 1, 2014. Of that number, 188,107 live within the city limits.

And, yes, the city LIKES to keep itself small. It's actually a large town, charming, with lots of inner city green spaces, but still a town. One way it has kept itself small is to keep the air traffic down. Today, as of this moment, there are 20 flights scheduled to depart and 20 flights scheduled to arrive. In fairness, though, the airport has just become an international airport, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes this will attract more airlines and get the fares down to a place where people and businesses will be more attracted to the city and residents can travel more. Going to Boston, Newark, or New York? Good luck getting there in less than a full day, for less than $900.

Geographically, the city has spread to the northeast, actually making it much more rural, albeit residential, non-farmland rural. This website shows Tallahassee as 100% urban. Ummmm. . . no. That NE spread has assisted the traffic problem, an inevitable problem since, historically, there was little planning or infrastructure put it place, except in the downtown area. New road projects actually make the traffic problem MUCH worse (but will eventually assist the traffic flow). How bad is the traffic? Yesterday it took me 45 min. to navigate from West Tennessee St. to East Tennessee St., a distance of almost 9 miles. Tennessee St. is the east-west road to get through town.
Until demand to fly in and out of the region increases, changing the status of the airport will do little to lower airfares. I believe the international designation for Tallahassee was more about boosting cargo operations by being able to accept international flights which makes Tallahassee a one-stop shop as opposed to incoming flights having to clear customs elsewhere, then hop to Tallahassee. This can be especially helpful for FBOs that conduct business at TLH.

I hope I'm wrong because Tallahassee has so much wasted potential...

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 11-03-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 03:45 PM

64 posts, read 135,217 times
I hate to say it but honestly Tallahassee just doesn't have enough things to do. Plus you have to think about when Tallahassee started as the capital of Florida it was just a tiny Native American village, & Atlanta was already a thriving city with a decent-size population (for the 1800's) when it became the capital of Georgia.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 14,476 times
And a lot of Florida's voting power is down south. Tallahassee also does not have the tourism dollars that Orlando & cities south of Orlando has. Texas & the Carolinas don't have half of their state as huge tourist & retirement hubs.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,564 times
To me, the lack of a decent airport is the biggest drawback to Tallahassee. I laughed when my friend who lives there told me that the airport is now international.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee