U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 AM

461 posts, read 447,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyu View Post
To me, the lack of a decent airport is the biggest drawback to Tallahassee. I laughed when my friend who lives there told me that the airport is now international.
Why would you laugh ... do you have any idea what "International means" or why it receives that designation ... of course you don't silly !!!

And, it is more than adequate for the population center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 PM

57,910 posts, read 50,469,968 times
Whomever said geography hit the nail on the head. Once growth in Florida moved further south, this left Tallahassee isolated. There are some whospeak of moving Florida's capital city to somewhere like Orlando or Tampa.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
It will never happen. Tallahassee is great.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 AM

57,910 posts, read 50,469,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Comparing Tally to Raleigh NC is not fair because it is one of the largest cities in North Carolina where as Tally was choosen because of its location. To be fair Tally is actually pretty nice Small city with things to do, great political climate in the city IMO and Jobs.
Actually, Raleigh was also chosen because of its location. It is located near North Carolina's geographic center. It became one of the largest cities in North Carolina BECAUSE of its location.

Tallahassee was also chosen because of a relative central location. However, this was when most of Florida's population lived in northern Florida. That has changed. People started living in southern and central Florida because of the orange farms moving southward, the land boom, cattle, and Tampa is now Florida's largest port. Tallahassee is now isolated. In fact......

Tallahassee no longer fits as Florida's capital | Tampa Bay Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihTrw-sEzs

Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,159,106 times
Moving the capital to Orlando was discussed in the 1950s and 60s. Way before Disney, that would have boosted Orlando for sure. I imagine if Orlando was the capital, it would be even larger today.

With capitals isolated many time the state government ends up being heavily concentrated in the larger cities. Like Alaska, Juneau is the capital but the day to day operations are in Anchorage for the most part. juneau is more extreme than Tallahassee, you can not even drive to the capital city.

As another poster wrote, here in Florida the state government seems to have nodes in Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville and Orlando

Old 06-21-2016, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,125 times
Why has no one mentioned the fact that growth is also limited by the large, protected surrounding areas? Many people don't want Tallahassee to get bigger, including me. Why is success in America measured by material goods and population growth always?? Basically success in American equals destroying any natural setting and replacing it with man made objects and it's ok because we planted a few flowers and trees (often not native) and have some parks, which are always congested because it's the only natural environment left. I like Tallahassee because it is isolated in the middle of many untouched natural areas. Within a short drive you can be in the country, but you still have easy access to quality and diverse products than if you lived somewhere else. I love the country, but I don't want to shop at Dollar General and eat at fast food joints for the rest of my life. I love Tallahassee because it's not a corporate climate and doesn't have a lot of urban sprawl or buildup, plus it is just so darn beautiful. Tallahassee has done a great job of preserving the natural environment unlike areas of west Florida along the coast where I lived for aprox 15 years where anything natural is ripped out and replaced with a tropical resort type landscape and building. It's fine if you like that kind of thing, but I honestly got so sick of looking at transplanted palm trees that are put there to draw tourists. I guess it depends on what you value and what your interests are. I tend to like things like working in my yard, hiking, relaxing in the shade and in general a very easy going lifestyle. I hate to be busy, so any bigger city would make me feel claustrophobic and stressed to the point of mental exhaustion. If the traditional American values of making money and acquiring things is your driving goal, I don't think you will be happy here. Also if you like to travel to places that require an airplane, you will get sick of having to drive multiple hours for a cheap air fare. However, I've found that it's not that expensive to fly out of Tallahassee, it just depends where you are going.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:15 PM

71 posts, read 63,718 times
Because Tallahassee is a mix of local southerners and college students who, depending on their class and attitude, see Tallahassee as either a company town for schooling or a four year vacation party.

There are enough students in Tallahassee to keep the city alive, but the small town attitude dominates everything else even with the new boom (possible future bust/bubble) of local businesses.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:46 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
Actually, contrary to some posters Tallahassee is vibrant and has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. It is getting concerts now, and the culture is growing better every day.

I see a lot of people moving here, and college students staying here and creating their own businesses.

It is probably the nicest city in Florida to live.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:41 PM

71 posts, read 63,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Actually, contrary to some posters Tallahassee is vibrant and has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. It is getting concerts now, and the culture is growing better every day.

I see a lot of people moving here, and college students staying here and creating their own businesses.

It is probably the nicest city in Florida to live.
Tallahassee has been "getting concerts" for years, they have just been concerts for bands with a vocal niche fanbase like Shiny Toy Guns or Against Me!, or up and comers like Marilyn Manson when his band played here in the early 90s, and some of the early mid career big names that have stopped by FSU's Club Downunder. Just because Tallahassee never gets a Miley Cyrus or Kanye West show doesn't mean it hasn't been "getting concerts".

There are of course more businesses and business districts cropping up but that is just the boom portion of a boom and bust cycle. It's undoubtedly a bubble that is going to collapse.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM

23 posts, read 39,321 times
TD, I like what you have to say. Yes. There are many concerts. Good ones. They just finished an amphitheater I think near Tallahassee Mall.

I like it here and find the city amazing. Like I said in another post, the drivers are crazy (including my fiance who is a native).

The infrastructure isn't so great either. Someone needs to get out and figure out how to time traffic lights. One can sit on Georgia St. at Monroe forEVER! No traffic coming either way. And, now that I'm all settled in at work with my new business cards, let's just change my address from Blountstown Highway to some dead guy's name. Ugh.

However, I will repeat, the folks here and in the surrounding counties are salt of the earth.

We need more industry here. Government takes their time paying invoices. I'd like to see a few manufacturing places plant themselves here.

All in all, I'm happy I live here. I love the weather, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee