U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times

Advertisements

Why don't you recruit some businesses?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM

23 posts, read 39,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Why don't you recruit some businesses?
I think that is the job of the already over rated Chamber of Commerce. I recruit people that work for businesses.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 PM

554 posts, read 420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmomlivesintally View Post
Part of the reson is because the people here have already gotten comfortable in their wealth. Definatly a city that practises NEPOTISUM! its a way for the richer to stay richer.. Think about it .. new wealth means your changing the dynamics of those already in power. their though is to keep it small so that thos with power in wealth power does not decrease. This relates back to my previous notions that I have placed below .. all of this information is interconnected. Its a social issue no matter how you put it. ANNNNNDD you know how people in power feel about social issues ... lol

--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** I advise you to look up the area codes here via the census to see the employment and neighborhood .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS

But if you already understand these hidden rules of tallahassee ,,, proceed! This is just my opinon tho ..demographics to back this post

- Hope it all works out for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy61 View Post
Because it doesn't want to be. The people actually put a lot of time and effort into keeping it from getting better. Attitude is everything. For years they kept out good jobs with companys that wanted to locate here and now they whine that they don't have this economic diversity. The towns you mentioned weren't afraid of outsiders the way Tallahasseeans are and welcomed smart and successful people from other areas to settle in and improve the place for everyone. Tallahassee only wants improvement for the "right" people, not for everyone and so it keeps getting passed over. It is actually surprising how hard they work to remain behind.

I think both of these posts make a lot of sense. Competing ideals...

Growth brings people, people bring problems, ----who wants problems when you already got a good job and pension? ANSWER: Not the one's in power and position.

Tallahassee is a nice city to live in, "when you are connected." If you aren't, then you can always work at the Wal-mart or local Sub-way.

I went to school there for 4 yrs and worked in that City. Its got a lot of natural beauty, hills lakes, and is about 1 hr from the Panhandle and some of the nicest beaches in the state.

If i was hooked up in tally, i wouldn't want Yanks or outsiders coming there either. Tally will never be a large metropolis because the insiders who run the gov. and those who control the hiring process, don't want any more growth...PERIOD.

It is, what it is!

Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 PM
TD*

Interesting opinions.... The city is growing quickly.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,105,668 times
OP has a very valid point.. IMHO the biggest detractor Tallahassee has going against it is location, even though the city serves as the state capital it is just too far from Florida's major population centers and very inconvenient to get to for motorists, therefore folks who travel to Tallahassee go there out of necessity (government business, FSU students, etc.) no one really goes there to visit as most would in other state capitals.. All business, no tourism.. In addition, as previously mentioned, there is also a lack in economic diversity, state government and higher education are the only two thriving industries in Tallahassee, everything else is either virtually non-existent or underdeveloped..

Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,781,472 times
Not everybody wants to work for a bureaucratic government or for a college. Most people who move to Florida move here to be near the beaches because that's what Florida is about. Having a lot of state government workers running around, or college students and faculty, is not what I want to see while on vacation or in my retirement. Even though the wife is still working, we came for the warm weather, low cost of living and the beaches. If you look at the cities that are growing and thriving, all of them are coastal cities w/ the exception of Orlando (and why anyone would want to live there is beyond me, but apparently a lot do, so go figure).

Despite a few exceptions that were cited, state capitals are generally not where you want to live. The people that work for the government there work for the state and not the city. The main focus is on things that are state related, and the cities have to sort of fend for themselves.

Last edited by smarino; 11-21-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 04:31 PM
TD*

A lot of posters here have a negative outside perspective. A new idea is why not create your own job? Start your own business and live in Tallahassee.

Nobody said it would be easy, but trying to work for somebody else, is not always the best option either.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,105,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If you look at the cities that are growing and thriving, all of them are coastal cities w/ the exception of Orlando (and why anyone would want to live there is beyond me, but apparently a lot do, so go figure).
Who would NOT want to live in Orlando?? Orlando is one of the fastest growing cities in the state, thriving young professional scene, a booming local economy, local arts, access to world class amenities and attractions, within driving distance to both coasts, access to a world class airport, home of UCF (second largest university in the country), metro surrounded by beautiful state parks, natural springs, water recreation, etc..

Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM

12,262 posts, read 8,946,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Who would NOT want to live in Orlando?? Orlando is one of the fastest growing cities in the state, thriving young professional scene, a booming local economy, local arts, access to world class amenities and attractions, within driving distance to both coasts, access to a world class airport, home of UCF (second largest university in the country), metro surrounded by beautiful state parks, natural springs, water recreation, etc..
Landlocked, poor infrastructure, endless suburban sprawl. Despite the MSA having less than 3M people, it feels like way more people are crammed here thanks to the tourist area. Orlando also lacks a proper sense of identity, which is understandable considering it's a fairly new city.

That said, I love it here. I can just understand why some wouldn't.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 PM
TD*

I far prefer Tallahassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee