U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM

12,284 posts, read 9,005,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
People go to Florida for the land. If they were to start increasing the size of cities; Florida would lose it's quality of life. In fact many people flock to Florida as a vacation spot as well. Both Adult and family types.

Florida was originally swamp land that was transformed into a party spot and became a place for retirement. Everybody wants to go to Florida. Do you want to lose that peace of mind?

When we think cities we think Michigan, New York, California ( LA wise ), illinois, and Georgia. Yes you can party and fool around in a city but when it comes to paradise that is not Cuba, Haiti, Figi, Polynesians, or something along those lines you can always run to Florida. Mostly older married couples move to Florida.
I highly disagree. The main cities in FL are all pretty big. This quality of life you speak of isn't very accurate. People live and function the same way here as they do elsewhere.
And how do people think "Georgia" when they think "city" but not Florida?

Georgia's top 4 MSAs:
1 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell 5,789,700
2 Augusta (GA-SC) 594,919
3 Savannah 384,204
4 Columbus (GA-AL) 308,755

Florida's top 4:
1 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach 5,929,819
2 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater 2,921,300*
3 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford 2,321,418
4 Jacksonville 1,419,127

I think you're underestimating the size of these cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 PM

1,867 posts, read 980,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Why isn't Tallahassee Florida a much bigger, more influential city? It is the capital for one of the largest states, plus it's a college town for Florida State, a major university. Other similar cities, such as Austin TX and Columbus OH, are massive. They are both state capitals and college towns, and have over 800,000 people. Meanwhile Tallahassee has 180,000. So why is it some cities like Austin thrive, while similar cities such as Tallahassee remain small?
If it weren't for the capitol, state government, and FSU, Tallahassee would be just like Quincy or
just another small town along route 20 like Blountstown or Ebro (LOL).

I lived in Austin for a year and did not want to go back to Tallahassee. Austin is an awesome capitol.
I love Texas.

There are local Floridians who absolutely love Tallahassee. Typically, they are deeply Southern Protestants
with multi-generational roots in the area - descdendants of Confederate soldiers who held that "bridge"
as they often claim.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM

7,767 posts, read 4,777,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
There are local Floridians who absolutely love Tallahassee. Typically, they are deeply Southern Protestants
with multi-generational roots in the area - descdendants of Confederate soldiers who held that "bridge"
as they often claim.
You have issues, and an obvious axe to grind.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM

23,061 posts, read 34,402,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
People go to Florida for the land. If they were to start increasing the size of cities; Florida would lose it's quality of life. In fact many people flock to Florida as a vacation spot as well. Both Adult and family types.

Florida was originally swamp land that was transformed into a party spot and became a place for retirement. Everybody wants to go to Florida. Do you want to lose that peace of mind?

When we think cities we think Michigan, New York, California ( LA wise ), illinois, and Georgia. Yes you can party and fool around in a city but when it comes to paradise that is not Cuba, Haiti, Figi, Polynesians, or something along those lines you can always run to Florida. Mostly older married couples move to Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I highly disagree. The main cities in FL are all pretty big. This quality of life you speak of isn't very accurate. People live and function the same way here as they do elsewhere.
And how do people think "Georgia" when they think "city" but not Florida?

Georgia's top 4 MSAs:
1 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell 5,789,700
2 Augusta (GA-SC) 594,919
3 Savannah 384,204
4 Columbus (GA-AL) 308,755

Florida's top 4:
1 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach 5,929,819
2 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater 2,921,300*
3 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford 2,321,418
4 Jacksonville 1,419,127

I think you're underestimating the size of these cities.
Interesting observation from DanArt who seems to be utilizing information obtained from the 1970s/1980s. The median age of residents moving to FL is age 35 and just 15% of those moving to the state are retirement age (over age 65). 20% of those moving into the state are under the age of 18, so at the very least about 25%-30% are families or soon to be. Also the top three MSAs in FL as pointed out happen to be three of the Top 15 in the US.

Analysis: Who's Moving to Your State?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 AM

43 posts, read 51,102 times
I went to school in Tallahassee and loved it and still love it. It was the perfect place for college for me, large enough to have stuff to do as a college kid, but small enough to not get lost in the city like Atlanta. I know a lot of people view Tallahassee negatively, but I would definitely move back. I live in a very similar city now Macon, Ga and I think Tallahassee is more vibrant and newer but Macon is more urban. The city is definitely a trendsetter in areas that may be over looked when comparing to larger cities but far ahead of other similar sized cities in the region like Montgomery Al, Columbus Ga, Macon, Ga, Augusta, GA etc. You don't see a lot of urban blight in Tallahassee like you see in these cities. They make good use of re-purposing old shopping centers etc, with new businesses and I can definitely see the growth in Tallahassee since the Mid-late 90's . The only problem with Tallahassee to me is the location. Its kind of the middle of no where, From Macon I can get to any major Ga city in 2 hours and I get metro ATL in one hour or less. It only take me an hour longer to get to any Major city in Florida from Macon than it does from Tallahassee. Also, there is traffic infrastructure problem in Tallahassee, I know it would have split the city but IMO I-10 should have been where Tennessee St/Mahan Dr is located. With no interstate or limited access roads, getting around the city only on surface streets makes traffic horrible. The same distance I can travel in 10/15 min in Macon takes about 30 min in Tallahassee.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:56 PM
TD*

1,607 posts, read 3,459,199 times
It is a great city, and has grown leaps and bounds compared with what it once was.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 PM

6,933 posts, read 4,818,311 times
We just drove around the outer part of Tallahassee on our way somewhere else..............................there seems to be PLENTY of sprawl going on in Tallahassee. What's the problem?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM
TD*

1,607 posts, read 3,459,199 times
No problem I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee