Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 AM

9 posts, read 56,197 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling from Tallahassee Fl to New Port Richey Fl, and on mapquest it shows me getting to my destination in less time on hwy 19(3.45 hours) vs the interstate 75 (5 hrs)... Can anyone who has traveled hwy 19 from tallahassee fl to new port richey fl tell me which is the best road to travel? Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingfloridahome View Post
I will be traveling from Tallahassee Fl to New Port Richey Fl, and on mapquest it shows me getting to my destination in less time on hwy 19(3.45 hours) vs the interstate 75 (5 hrs)... Can anyone who has traveled hwy 19 from tallahassee fl to new port richey fl tell me which is the best road to travel? Thanks in advance...

US27/19 southbound out of Tallahassee is the best way to go...some small towns to deal with but the first part of your journey will be very easy. There seems to be less police as well - except in the little towns. Don't speed through the towns.

When you get to the southern end of it is when things get nasty. You should be OK if you are only going to NPR, but from about Homosassa and south you start to get urban US 19, which sucks. A lot. 8 lanes and constant traffic lights.

So if you can deal with that last 15% of the drive being awful, the rest is great.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM

704 posts, read 1,271,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
US27/19 southbound out of Tallahassee is the best way to go...some small towns to deal with but the first part of your journey will be very easy. There seems to be less police as well - except in the little towns. Don't speed through the towns.

When you get to the southern end of it is when things get nasty. You should be OK if you are only going to NPR, but from about Homosassa and south you start to get urban US 19, which sucks. A lot. 8 lanes and constant traffic lights.

So if you can deal with that last 15% of the drive being awful, the rest is great.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM

704 posts, read 1,271,408 times
Quote:
I use to take US 27/98 (which follows the same path as US19 until south of Homosassa) during my college days between Lakeland/Tallahassee. LOVE IT! The fastest part of the trip is the 30-mile area between Inglis and Chiefland. The road is straight for most of that segment and aside from the occassional trees in the median (hiding place for law enforcement), you can really make good time here.

Strel hit the nail on the head I'll take it a step further. I say the traffic starts to thicken up around Crystal River and will remain for the duration of the trip. Thank goodness you don't hve to venture into Pinellas County on 19.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Thank you all for your help... We will be taking hwy 19... Another question, are their gas stations, and places to stop to use the restroom if we have to? I guess I should have asked that in my first question =) Thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,088,929 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your help... We will be taking hwy 19... Another question, are their gas stations, and places to stop to use the restroom if we have to? I guess I should have asked that in my first question =) Thanks in advance
Yes and no. Do not expect rest stops like you see on the interstate, obviously.

There are long stretches as mentioned above where there are no towns, so be prepared for that - especially between Tallahassee and Chiefland. We often stop in Chiefland because it is more or less halfway to Tampa and usually someone has to pee by then, and usually it's someone that isn't willing to use a tree.

Once you get close to Crystal River things get more urban and typically central Florida with strip malls and fast food joints all over.

But do take a look at the map. There's a lot of white space along the first part of your journey. This is not a bad thing, unless you are hungry or desperate to micturate.

Hint: Depending on where you are in Tallahassee, it might be better for you to take Interstate 10 east to US 19 rather than going out Apalachee Parkway/US 27.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM

108 posts, read 352,381 times
Quote:
We have some Latino friends who took that route to come see us. When they got here they were terrified of how they were treated on the way and took I10/I75 back.

If you are white you will be fine. If not think hard.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Did they make the mistake of stopping in Perry?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 AM

58 posts, read 100,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
We have some Latino friends who took that route to come see us. When they got here they were terrified of how they were treated on the way and took I10/I75 back.

If you are white you will be fine. If not think hard.
Always white people, right. I doubt the story is true.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 AM

Thank you all for your help... Now I am kind of scared to take hwy 19... My husband is black, and I dont want any trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee