Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,003 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are seriously considering moving to the Tallahassee area from PA. I've been reading many of the questions and answers posted on here and just wanted to get a little more information to help my research. It sounds like there are some great schools in this area, which is exactly what we're looking for. My 9-year old son has just tested into a "gifted level" at his current school, but they really don't have much of a program to offer him. My daughter will be entering 9th grade next year and we really want both of them to be challenged in great schools.

Can someone please share with me "nice, family friendly" towns we should look at when checking real estate? So far I am shocked by the prices of homes . . . shocked in a good way! We'd love to be somewhat rural and have 3+ acres and I'm finding many, many homes that fit this criteria for very reasonable (<$175k) prices I'm just not sure I'm looking at the right towns though.

One concern we have with moving south is the humidity and thus the extra chances of mold growth. I am very sensitive to molds and allergens. We would of course require mold testing in any house before we purchase it, but can anyone give me an idea if there is a lot of problems in the Tally area? On the flip side, I LOVE the sun and crave the warmth which is a big reason for moving south.

We're also huge seafood eaters and I salivate at the thought of having fresh seafood available all the time!! What are food costs like? Can anyone give me an idea? I'm trying to figure out cost of living.

Thanks so much for any input! My husband is currently looking for a job, but we're well aware of how difficult it will be for him to get hired "out of state." If we can find a reasonable house that we can purchase and pay off after selling ours, we figure we can last a few months while he does a good job search down there, but how is the job market in and around Tally? He is in outside sales with a lot of experience in both the technology/IT field and the building industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM

815 posts, read 971,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1 View Post
Hello,

We are seriously considering moving to the Tallahassee area from PA. I've been reading many of the questions and answers posted on here and just wanted to get a little more information to help my research. It sounds like there are some great schools in this area, which is exactly what we're looking for. My 9-year old son has just tested into a "gifted level" at his current school, but they really don't have much of a program to offer him. My daughter will be entering 9th grade next year and we really want both of them to be challenged in great schools.

Can someone please share with me "nice, family friendly" towns we should look at when checking real estate? So far I am shocked by the prices of homes . . . shocked in a good way! We'd love to be somewhat rural and have 3+ acres and I'm finding many, many homes that fit this criteria for very reasonable (<$175k) prices I'm just not sure I'm looking at the right towns though.

One concern we have with moving south is the humidity and thus the extra chances of mold growth. I am very sensitive to molds and allergens. We would of course require mold testing in any house before we purchase it, but can anyone give me an idea if there is a lot of problems in the Tally area? On the flip side, I LOVE the sun and crave the warmth which is a big reason for moving south.

We're also huge seafood eaters and I salivate at the thought of having fresh seafood available all the time!! What are food costs like? Can anyone give me an idea? I'm trying to figure out cost of living.

Thanks so much for any input! My husband is currently looking for a job, but we're well aware of how difficult it will be for him to get hired "out of state." If we can find a reasonable house that we can purchase and pay off after selling ours, we figure we can last a few months while he does a good job search down there, but how is the job market in and around Tally? He is in outside sales with a lot of experience in both the technology/IT field and the building industry.

Welcome to the board! Sorry I can't answer many of your questions.
Food prices are comparable to where I lived before in central Illinois. There are more seafood restaurants in Tallahassee than there were in central IL
We bought a very nice home on 10 acres in the Monticello area for around $175,000. The schools in Jefferson County are not very good, but there are private school options. Our kids are grown so we didn't care. Tallahassee itself (Leon County) might have good schools, but most of the outlying towns are very rural and have poorly performing schools. You'd be hard pressed (IMHO) to find 3 acres for $175,000 in a good school district.
I don't suffer from any allergies, but the pollen here is very bad. At times it is so thick it covers everything in a fine yellow/green dust. The humidity is quite high and things get moldy very quickly, like leather shoes and handbags.
I absolutely love this area and all it has to offer, BUT.......I don't have allergies and I don't have school-age children

Old 05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,120,407 times
You want to be in Leon County. Northern or Eastern leon county is where you should be looking.

Both have access to good schools, and more land for your 3+ acres.

If your looking in east Tallahassee look out towards buck lake/ or east on Mahan drive US 90

If your looking in north Tallahassee look near bradfordville for bigger lots, both have access to great schools.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

9 posts, read 14,014 times
Minnimom1,
I agree with TD* if you choose to be in Tallahassee, but you will find that it will be difficult to find 3+ acres for $175K or less in those areas she talked about. Another option might be Crawfordville, FL. The schools are EXCELLENT and a lot of the homes are in foreclosure with lots of land. The down side is you have to drive 30 minutes to Tallahassee where your husband would likely to find his job. Tallahassee is the hub and he's likely to find an IT/outside sales position in Tallahassee. I suggest looking in Crawfordville, FL and seeing what you think. It's also located on the Gulf of Mexico and get loads of fresh seafood in daily. Lots of seafood restaurants to choose from with low prices and great service. Hope this helps,
Cynthia

Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1 View Post
Hello,

If you want to move south I wouldn't move to Tallahassee! I am from Ohio and I absolutely HATE it here. The weather sucks, it is a college town and they definitely cater to the college students. The crime rates have gone up and the schools are not as great as the locals would like to think unless you want to put your kids in private schools. Most of the places you will find land and a house for those prices are in Havana, Midway, or Highway 20 and you really do not want to live in any of those places. I will be leaving this backwards god forsaken place as soon as I am able.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 AM

72 posts, read 164,138 times
I know this is an older thread, just wondering if you and your family relocated o Tally and where you ended up Minniemom? If so, can you update us on your experience and if you are happy where you all ended up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee