U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 05:54 PM

18 posts, read 29,955 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Bayfield CO which is a SMALL town in CO but we are considering moving to somewhere in FL. I don't want the crazy crime and transient nature of some of the areas of FL, so I was considering Tallahassee. I haven't actually been though (clearly if it becomes a top contender, we would visit) but as a kid, we always visited Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Pace area because I have/had lots of family that live there.
My biggest issue with the Pensacola area was that it was (when I used to visit) very conservative Christian area and we are all Jewish so I want an area that has a small town feel but has a established Jewish community as well....that is why I was considering Tallahassee. ANYWAYS, I am looking for family friendly, not expensive housing and good schools. Would Tallahassee fit the bill? Are there any towns around Tallahassee (maybe closer to the beaches..I get they are mostly further away, but something north of town would be further than south of town) that are nice as well? Also, my husband is in LE and when he looks for work, he'd need to look in an area we'd also like to live, so that is why I am so interested!

Any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 AM

146 posts, read 156,078 times
Hi. We lived in Tallahassee for 25 years. We came out of Miami. I felt it was a great place to bring up my kids. I am also Jewish so I can give u my perspective. There r 3 Shuls. The biggest one is Temple Israel on Mahan. Reformed. Nice somewhat welcoming. ( I am in a mixed marriage so all Shuls have been a little uncomfortable for me) There is a conservative Shul on Kerry Forest Shomrei Torah which often has no Rabbi. BMuch smaller and more clique imho. and there's Chabad on Meridian which has many Jewish events ( Hanukkah parties ) but I know little else about them. Fsu has Hillel as well. Tally is a big change from Co. Mostly flat land done very little hills. Obsessive heat in the summer and can have snow flurries ( few and far between) in the winter. Terrain is beautiful. Watch the schools carefully so very good some awful. Very bible beltish. I did latke making in the elementary schools and told the story of the macabees and kids had no idea of other religions. Sometimes Ifelt that people thought I should have a tail and horns Some people did not like us due to religion. No kosher food around but people did get it from Jacksonville. Had clients that were brought up with the kkk. That being said most people were great and Just people and accepting. In the surrounding areas the bible thumping was increased. The northeast corridor is comfortable suburban and has good schools. Tally is very Southern in many respects but has a lot of government and university workers so it adds to the diversity and it's a very nice place to live. It is very insulated meaning that it is the Major Metropolitan area around and all around u for hours is mostly very rural. Go Noles!!!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM

18 posts, read 29,955 times
Well, the area of CO I live in is very christian as well. We have one shul that is for the whole 4 corners area and 60 members and our rabbi comes 2-3 times a year only! So, needless to say, I have to constantly explain what Jewish even means to lots of people! Our entire county is under 50k population, so it's a VERY small town area. Tallahassee would actually be a huge town compared to that. However, I am not from here...I am from Chicago. I also lived in Phoenix for 7 years, so I have been around
Sometimes this is just TOO small town livin for me.
Can you tell me more about the airports in the area and the issues or non-issues with flying in and out? Our closest big airport to us is 3.5 hours away in New Mexico....Denver is about 7 hours away. We have a small airport but it is OUTRAGEOUS flying in and out. Plus they cancel for no reason and delay sometimes for days for no reason. It's my biggest issue with living here because I have family all over and no one can come visit and we cannot visit anyone either

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM

146 posts, read 156,078 times
Tally has a nice airport but Otis fairly expensive. We have also driven and flown out of Albany ga Jacksonville Tampa and Orlando depending on price and route. They are all 3-5 hours away. But that said we have flown out of tally many many times. U should not have much of a problem with it. It does sound as if tally town is a step up in Jewishness

Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,918,083 times
I lived in Tallahassee for 16 years, and I'm also Jewish. Moved to Central FL in early 2014 to be closer to family.

I don't know as I'd say that Tallahassee has a small-town feel, but then that depends where you're coming from. If you're used to Chicago and Phoenix, Tallahassee will seem like a small town by contrast. But because it is the state capital and has two major universities and a very large community college, there's a lot going on in Tallahassee that really small towns don't have.

However, in spite of being the state capital, it's a very small airline market, so flying into and out of Tallahassee is very expensive and inconvenient. It's hard to find flights -- even to other cities in Florida --that don't require you to make a stop in Atlanta. If you plan to do much traveling by air, I think this is a very large drawback to living in Tallahassee.

Religion-wise, it's a very Christian community. Everyone seems to assume that you are Christian. We had a neighbor who couldn't understand why we didn't want to participate in a neighborhood-wide Christmas lighting project. I never felt any hostility, but often surprise.

The Reform congregation is quite large, about four times the size of the Conservative congregation. The Conservative congregation does not have a rabbi, although there they sometimes bring in visiting rabbis. I've found (and been told by others) that both congregations can seem cliquish until you really get involved, but you have to make the effort.

If you're going to be Jewish in the Florida Panhandle, and you want to be around other Jews, Tallahassee is the place to be. If you want good Jewish food, however, you'll have to go at least 250 miles to find it. There's a Jewish food and culture festival in Tallahassee once a year, and that's about the only time you can get a good corned beef sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee