U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very interested in Tallahassee as a place of relocation but there is a site called AREA VIBES which according to the FBI crime statistics has a rating of "F". Can somebody give me the honest low-down on how bad or not the crime is in TLH? We obviously know crime is bad all over America but love to get the honest scoop. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,759 times
Stats are online at Tallahassee Online Police Statistics (TOPS)

I have seen all kinds of things happen here, but not like in a bigger city.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,671 times
Smile Crime in Tallahassee

I do appreciate your response. Are you a TLH native? If so, how long have you lived there and what do you feel are the best parts of town? Thanks for responding.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
I'm a native. Best parts of town are north and southwood. Midtown, Killearn, bradfordville,

Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 AM

7 posts, read 9,600 times
Crime is increasing

2014 Leon | FDLE Crime Report | Data Central | Tallahassee Democrat | Tallahassee.com

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,034,768 times
By Florida standards, crime in Tallahassee is not bad at all. The majority of it occurs in the poorer south side. Also, the areas around the universities are prone to some petty property crimes (breaking into cars, etc) mainly due to the high concentration of 18-25 year olds, which is the demographic most prone to offend.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 PM

16 posts, read 25,434 times
Went to FSU for 4 years and I was shocked by the crime in Tally. Witnessed a drive by at a bus stop, friend had his home broken into while moving in. Got kicked out of my apartment once by the SWAT team while they were tear gassing my neighbor, who had barricaded himself in his home with a hostage. Couple of fist fights right outside my apartment, on the front step literally. One night I heard a gun fight break out, tons of shots fired across the street. Had to pull my fiance into the bathtub and hope for no strays. I could go on.

All of this in only four years, and despite moving every single year trying to find safer neighborhoods. Anything within reasonable distance of the school or downtown and in the price range of college kids (<$1k per month) is in a high crime area it seems.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,034,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu77er View Post
Went to FSU for 4 years and I was shocked by the crime in Tally. Witnessed a drive by at a bus stop, friend had his home broken into while moving in. Got kicked out of my apartment once by the SWAT team while they were tear gassing my neighbor, who had barricaded himself in his home with a hostage. Couple of fist fights right outside my apartment, on the front step literally. One night I heard a gun fight break out, tons of shots fired across the street. Had to pull my fiance into the bathtub and hope for no strays. I could go on.

All of this in only four years, and despite moving every single year trying to find safer neighborhoods. Anything within reasonable distance of the school or downtown and in the price range of college kids (<$1k per month) is in a high crime area it seems.
I call either BS, or you are the most unlucky human being on earth.

Your experience is not even close to typical, unless you are a drug dealer / live with drug dealers.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM

62 posts, read 325,618 times
Like any city with size it's all depends on location. While going to school we lived close to fsu in what we called the student projects. I was worried when we took a job 15 years later to move back. We chose the ne side of town and very little happens out this way.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
Its a very nice place to live. Don't worry, avoid living in frenchtown, the southside, and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: