U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I live in South Florida. We are looking for a nice, "small town/rural" area to move to in Northern Florida. We would like to stay in the Tallahassee area. I've noticed that the city of Monticello, FL, 25 miles from Tallahassee, has some gorgeous old antebellum homes at a great price. Some even come with acreage. A "walking tour" of the city on googlemaps streetview shows a very cute, well manicured little town. So, why so cheap?? Is this a good area to raise kids? Is this a safe area???? Are there "racial issues" ??? I can't help but think that there must be something wrong with the city for there to be such great deals on housing, less than 30 miles from Tallahassee. Any and all info on Monticello wold be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM

574 posts, read 662,583 times
We live just outside Monticello (about 4 miles from downtown) on 10 acres in the woods. We love it here. There are many people that have moved here from south FL and really like it.
The schools are horrible. The lowest rated in the state.
It is a quick and easy drive to Tallahassee, but even quicker and easier to get to Thomasville, GA, which is my new favorite small city.
There are bad sections of town, but the main part is beautiful and clean and well-kept. There are many beautiful old homes.
Crime/criminal activity is almost exclusively restricted to the "bad" areas, and some "bad" people that reside in those areas.
I have not noticed any racial tensions, although according to statistics, Caucasians are slightly in the minority here.
There are some really nice, "country" people here. There are some well educated professional people here.
There are some "trashy" people. It's a pretty mixed bag.
Oh, and I suspect that the reason homes are 'cheaper' here, is because of the really bad school system. And the slightly longer drive to a 'big' city.
You should definitely visit

Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,724,404 times
Monticello is a very pleasant town. The low prices are due to its small size, remote location, and "bad" public schools. There is no Walmart, not much in the way of amenities. There is a Winn Dixie for groceries.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Monticello is a very pleasant town. The low prices are due to its small size, remote location, and "bad" public schools. There is no Walmart, not much in the way of amenities. There is a Winn Dixie for groceries.

We have a Piggly Wiggly also.
Burger King, Subway, and Pizza Hut in town, Arby's and McDonald's at the I-10 exit. Family Dollar, Dollar General, Fred's and CVS. Several local restaurants and shops/stores. NAPA, Advanced Auto and O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Tractor Supply Store, and a local hardware store.
But no Walmart, although there is one less than 25 miles away in Thomasville, GA, and several less than 30 miles away in Tallahassee.
But seriously, the public schools are BAD.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
We have a Piggly Wiggly also.
Burger King, Subway, and Pizza Hut in town, Arby's and McDonald's at the I-10 exit. Family Dollar, Dollar General, Fred's and CVS. Several local restaurants and shops/stores. NAPA, Advanced Auto and O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Tractor Supply Store, and a local hardware store.
But no Walmart, although there is one less than 25 miles away in Thomasville, GA, and several less than 30 miles away in Tallahassee.
But seriously, the public schools are BAD.

What do you mean by "BAD" ... behaviors of kids, teachers, school test results for standardized testing, or all of above? Just wondering as we are considering relocating to this area as well.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,590,210 times
Poor county. Mostly African American kids in the schools. Fights, drugs... Bad schools.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlilley View Post
What do you mean by "BAD" ... behaviors of kids, teachers, school test results for standardized testing, or all of above? Just wondering as we are considering relocating to this area as well.

Pretty much all of the above. While I'm glad our taxes are low here in Jefferson Co., the school/education budget is incredibly small. No $ for good teachers, books, equipment, etc. Just this spring they announced that due to budget cuts, they were eliminating the entire custodial staff. Not sure how that will work
We really do love living in this area, but I would not send my kids to public school here.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,724,404 times
In the Deep South, public schools being "bad" means that they are predominantly black. I for one went to one of the "good" public schools, and it was terrible, so I am deeply skeptical about the whole "public school" thing.

In Jefferson County, the whites with money opened their own school (Aucilla Academy) after integration and left the public schools to the blacks and poor whites. This is typical throughout the region.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
In the Deep South, public schools being "bad" means that they are predominantly black. I for one went to one of the "good" public schools, and it was terrible, so I am deeply skeptical about the whole "public school" thing.

In Jefferson County, the whites with money opened their own school (Aucilla Academy) after integration and left the public schools to the blacks and poor whites. This is typical throughout the region.
I agree. Public education in many areas (NOT just the Deep South) is a total mess.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 10,439 times
What county is right outside of Tallahassee? Like a nice suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: