U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 1,394,425 times

Advertisements

Oh I'm not worried about grocery variety. Nor "culture" nor activities. I do miss Boar's Head though, cannot get it here.
Maybe I wouldn't have to go to TH much at all. That's what I'm thinking about.
If I'm underestimating how often I'd need to go. That drive seriously freaks me out and my old car needs to last me.

still pondering
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 PM

567 posts, read 621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Keep in mind, you can order a lot of things online from places like Wal-Mart and Amazon. Even basics and food like laundry detergent, Gatorade and such.

Dentist, hair salon, vet, car mechanic. You will likely find a place much closer than Tallahassee.

Also realize that 1 hr drive is really not that bad. Many people commute 1 hour each way to/from work 5 days per week. The fact that you have light traffic makes it easier. Though it seems you have a fear of wooded empty roads. Get yourself a reliable car and learn how to change a flat tire. And drive during the day. And keep a cell phone, good shoes and bottled water in your car. LOL, and a tent in case you get stuck out there for 3 days. OK - I am messing with you now

You seriously could get by with NEVER making the drive to TLH. You'd be amazed at how many amenities you can find in small towns.
We've always lived pretty rural. I find a cell phone and a AAA membership enable me to feel very secure traveling on even the most desolate roads.
If the *only* hesitation you have is because of the drive to TLH, I really think you are overestimating how often (if at all) you would have to make the drive.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:00 PM

70 posts, read 101,008 times
Soon that area will not need a Publix or Whole Paycheck? The Mayor's Blog: Apalachicola Gearing Up for Farmers Market at the Mill Pond

Old 02-28-2018, 04:41 PM

51 posts, read 42,774 times
So is "Carrabelle/The Forgotten Coast" sort of like Fight Club? The first rule of Carrabelle is to not talk about Carrabelle? LOL

Old 03-07-2018, 06:48 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
Carabelle is a small town on the coast. If you enjoy small towns and like to boat or be near the water and want to live there, it could be a fun life.

On the other hand, I wouldn't raise children there, or hang out around the local bars.

Just kind of a backwater redneck feel.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 PM

17,725 posts, read 5,258,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Carabelle is a small town on the coast. If you enjoy small towns and like to boat or be near the water and want to live there, it could be a fun life.

On the other hand, I wouldn't raise children there, or hang out around the local bars.

Just kind of a backwater redneck feel.
Agreed TD. DH and I went there to spend the night a couple of years ago. We liked St. George beach and LOVE Apalachicola. But they're kind of isolated IMO.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:26 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
St George Island is nice. When we go to the beach from Tallahassee its where we go.

St George Island is a nice day beach trip, and Apalachicola serves as a good dinner or lunch spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee