U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am currently a college student and I was living in an apartment complex that was tailored for students.
I moved out in the beginning of may but my lease was through july and I intended on paying it monthly. I am a responsible person but unfortunately life happened and it was hard for me to scrape up june's rent. Now the policy stated (as it states on the contract) that a late fee ($75) would not be charged until the 5th of the month. When I called to pay my rent on the fourth of june, they told me they changed this policy and that late fees are now added to the account on the fourth.

I could not afford the extra late fee as I barely had enough money for rent.

There is never a manager available when I call and they said sorry there is nothing they can do.

So I worked my a$$ off for the next few weeks at a new job to make rent (My first paycheck would not be for a few weeks after.)

I finally scrape up enough money to pay all of the rent and late fees for june and also paid july rent on time (through the mail as I no longer live in tallahassee and can never get a hold of a manager).

And over a week later they send me an email saying I owe 200 dollars for a court collection fee and they will not take my rent payments as they do not include this fee. Also, they said late fees for july will continue to accrue.

I just can afford the extra 300 dollars they are asking for.
I also HIGHLY doubt they filed in court because they never get anything done!
should I ask for proof of the filing costs?
Also is they anything I can do or should I just get the eviction and ruin my good credit for the next 7+ years
and not ever be able to rent an apartment?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 06:45 PM

62 posts, read 325,802 times
They can't change a policy mid stream. It is all based on what is in the lease agreement you signed. That part is in your favor. Moving out early without working something out will bite you in the rear.
What the lease states is what will happen and also what they will ask from court when they get a judgement against you. Complexes have seen it all. The system they use is fairly by the numbers. Yes they have most likely filed in court since it is a step towards getting a judgment.

So

Either pay what you owe or yes trash your credit and get a judgement against you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: