U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times

Advertisements

We are an African American family of 4. My husband and I have a 5 year old and 10 yr old(girls.) He and I both grew up in the Carolinas, but have had the opportunity to live and work overseas in Europe and Asia over the past few years. At this time I have potential offers in Portland and Tallahassee. Neither he or I know very much at all about either of these cities, so any information/advice you can offer is greatly appreciated! I have heard that finding a job in Portland can be very difficult if you don't have a degree, and have also heard that the public schools are not the best in that area. It seems that the job opportunities for my husband's career field/skills are more open in Tallahassee, or perhaps that's just what it looks like online? I would love to hear pros and cons, etc!!!

Thanks for the help ahead of time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 PM

7,697 posts, read 13,597,075 times
I've retired in Florida but I lived in Portland for a number of years. Portland is a very different type city. It will s very political that in many ways is radical politics. Many call it liberal but I found it way beyond liberal. It's motto is. Keep Portland weird. Believe me they are not kidding. There are homeless all over as it has s a sanctuary city as is San Francisco. It is a young population city. Many come to Portland because it is so live and let live. Jobs have always been hard to find in the region. Portland is a very health conscious ride a bike kind of town, bikes are used for transportation. There is also alot of transit options. That you will appreciate, because the traffic has become close to gridlock. It can be a terrible problem trying to drive there anymore. That problem has been building, sadly not being addressed. There are many things about Portland I miss, but I don't miss the weirdness and so much rain and cloud cover.

I don't know much about Tally. I visited a few times. It doesn't really interest me. Quite honestly Florida only interest me because it doesn't tax retirement income and its warmer than Oregon. Otherwise I prefer the beauty of the West and the fact it's much less conservative. It's what your use to I guess.

Really do your research on both places. Moving can be so expensive and stressful you want to get it right. Hope this helps. If you have any questions I will be glad to help if I can.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Tallahassee is a great city for families, and has great schools. It has great parks and greenways, and is nice that its a medium sized city that makes it fairly easy to drive.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 AM

2,790 posts, read 2,241,989 times
Tallahassee is an odd town. It is the state Capitol of Florida, and State business is its primary task. The Universities there are the secondary economy. Its economy revolves around these two activities. When school is out, the place all but shuts down.

Unless you are a College Sports fan, Tally can be quite boring. And there are still a lot of "Old South" attitudes in the surrounding country.
I used to live there in the 70s, have friends there, and stop in for a visit when passing through. It has not changed much over the years.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,864,894 times
Very different cities - almost nothing in common, really. Portland is larger, has more business opportunities, west coast liberalism. TLH is a govt/university town, is liberal by southern standards due to govt/university influences, but is mostly conservative apart from that. Hot/humid gulf coast climate vs Pacific NW.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:52 PM

4,590 posts, read 3,852,207 times
Portland, ME or Portland, OR? No one stopped to ask, and I'm assuming the latter, but, just wanted to check. Both Portland, ME and Portland, OR are larger, and quite possibly are surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery our world has to offer. As a whole package, either Portland probably offers more*. But, that is also in the eyes of the beholder. Tallahassee I think is very underrated. It is a state capitol, site of a flagship university, has more affordable housing, and in areas with good schools, than either Portland likely does (so depending on what the job offers depending on location, you'll probably get more for what you can do in Tally than Portland). Climate is a matter of personal preference. Portland, ME has what many consider to be brutal winters but I don't think they are that bad, and it's made up for by beautiful summers. Portland, OR has a near air conditioned climate, perhaps the most ideal anywhere IMO, but then again, I can't speak for everyone. It rarely goes above 75, and there are many gray days. If you want to sit out in the sun by the pool or beach, Tally is for you, and it only has 3 months of oppressive summer heat as opposed to 5 in lower parts of FL. Where are you moving from btw?

Old 04-20-2016, 02:47 AM

15 posts, read 28,078 times
Default Portland here I come

You'll get to drive by the plantations, yep they still exist and they're still owned by the racist white families that buy the elections and lobbyists here. They keep the old slave quarters up to date like they're proud of them. Mosey on over to Walton County and see the new Confederate flag they fly beside the United States flag at the county courthouse. If you move here you may one of the hundreds of lucky Tallahassee residents that gets application forms for the local KKK chapter in their driveway along with their Sunday paper. The KKK has infiltrated the local police force. The inbreds still have a monument in the Capital building to their rebel general nobody ever heard of in American History class. They still fly the CSA stars and bars flag over the city on a tow rope behind a Cessna.

I'm biracial in a biracial marriage here. We're from the Washington DC area. We've had the Tallahassee Police Department harass us. We've had one of their redneck cops tell our son he's coming back with a gun and kill his dog. It has been a nightmare and we can't wait to leave and never look back.

I don't care if it's Portlant Oregon or Portland Maine. Stay away from the deep south. There's no past, no present, and no future.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,779,987 times
Never lived in Tallahassee, but Portland was dreary rain, a standoffish cliquish population that bordered on outright unfriendliness, and seemed to have about 8 months of winter and 4 months (maybe closer to three months) of nice weather where you could actually see blue skies. Check out their forum for other people's experiences w/ the locals, especially if you came from California. They should issue a travel advisory to outsiders! It's a conservative, provincial place that imagines it's a liberal haven, but it's not really like that. Just divisive and obstructive. Maybe it's liberal for Oregon, but hardly compared to other liberal cities I've lived in. I moved there from San Francisco, and it was a huge step backwards in liberalism. The weather depresses a lot of people that aren't used to it, and it had that effect on me as well.

I think the poster above is hardly representing how Tallahassee really is. We're an interracial couple and never had those sorts of extreme problems anywhere, and their flag view is just Yankee ignorance and/or PC propaganda. But the conservative prejudice and racism hidden behind religion is real in many places in the South for sure. You can find it up North too, but the people there are more crafty at hiding it behind code words, and much less likely to tell people to their faces what they think (although they're plenty ready to say something behind their back).

I think you could do better than those two particular cities.

Last edited by smarino; 04-22-2016 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 41,431 times
Easy, Portland OR

Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM

45 posts, read 41,431 times
If you still want to be in FL, then drive further south to the Tampa Bay region, all the way down Naples/Ftt Myers....totally different universe than freekin Tally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee