Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:32 AM

6 posts, read 14,241 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm strongly considering moving to Tallahassee from Berkeley, CA to be closer to my boyfriend (who lives in Gainesville, but that's another story), and would greatly value hearing your suggestions as to neighborhoods in Tallahassee that are:

- left-leaning/progressive
- beautiful and tree-full, ideally with a creek or other body of water nearby
- relatively affordable (I'm looking to rent for myself within the $600-$900 range)

Any and all input is warmly welcomed!

Thank you so much in advance. Moving across the country to be closer to my love is a big deal, and any support in identifying a comfy landing pad is greatly appreciated.

Warmly,
TreeLover77
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Why not Gainesville?

Good luck on your move. Tallahassee has 2 Universities and is the state capital, it is left-leaning progressive compared to surrounding areas but compared to Berkley, CA it is not.

If being around church-going Cruz and Trump voters will send into fits, don't move. Also remember Tallahassee is in the Deep South, but remember just because a white person has a Southern accent... they are not pining away for Jim Crow Days.

Tallahassee unlike most of Florida has some hills and actually can get cold in the winter. Its a beautiful city, lots of tress and close to some very rural, near wilderness areas and very close to the Gulf Coast.

Any place is what you make it... and you might actually LIKE a Conservative or Libertarian They arent all bible-thumping, ignorant bigots

Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Check out IndianHead Acres,

Also try Midtown

Old 04-28-2016, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,816 times
To, Jwolfer-my wife and I lived in Gainesville for over 2 yrs. We will choose Tallahassee over Gainesville any day of the week. Why? More resources-better resources-much more charm Probably a better job market because it is the Capital. But don't get me wrong-Gainesville, I understand, has grown a lot from what I have read. You could not go wrong with either city but I think TLH has got Gainesville beat. My 2 cents,

Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the headsup, jwolfer. I am definitely going to do my best to keep an open mind

TD, thank you for the Midtown and IndianHead Acres suggestions. I will check them out!

Any other Tallahassee neighborhood suggestions, forum dwellers?

Blessings...

Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Midtown is another good area.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM

146 posts, read 184,865 times
I don't know if it is affordable or if there are rentals but what about miccosukee land co-op

Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 AM

Deb18, I just looked up the Miccosukee Land Co-op, and it looks amazing. What beautiful land and seemingly sweet community. I'll definitely be reaching out to them!

Thank you!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
"I'm strongly considering moving to Tallahassee from Berkeley". Oh oh. How on earth do you figure that is gonna work?

You are in for total culture shock. I lived in S.F. many years when it was a very liberal city (before you had to be a white tech yuppie to afford living there), and even as a very leftish liberal and rebel couldn't stand Berkeley because there is no liberalism there, just extreme viewpoints w/ no solutions. I cannot imagine in a million years how that sort of thing is going to fit in down here, or anywhere besides Eugene or Pahoa really. Left leaning and progressive??? In Florida? We moved to St Pete because it was one of the more liberal cities that we could find in Florida, but it is hardly what I would describe as what you're seeking. You'd better come for a visit before you move anywhere.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Thanks, smarino. I can appreciate your concern for my culture shock Indeed, I hear that Florida is a *very* different place from what I have been used to, and indeed, I'll be coming for a visit in about a week's time to check it out, visit different neighborhoods, and see how I feel there directly.

It's amazing how love can invite us to stretch While I would describe myself as very liberal and left-leaning, I also value open-mindedness and understanding of the shared human values that underlie our different viewpoints.

Warmly,
TreeLover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee