U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 AM

411 posts, read 329,263 times

Advertisements

It appears that you may be racist yourself. (Yes there is black on black racism/classism). We (all people and their issues) take ourselves with us no matter where we live. You cannot run from yourself. Why would you paint black neighborhoods as crime ridden? And really- who cares what colors you or your gf are? There are lovely older sections of Tally that are historically black - mainly older professionals who never moved away. There are white communities that are crime ridden (drugs). The question you should be asking perhaps, is not will others be good neighbors- but will you be a good neighbor. As it relates to your safety, that is guaranteed no place on planet earth. However, you can look at real estate apps that include info on their guess of which neighborhoods are reportedly more safe than others. On another note, Tally is a beautiful place to live and yes it does have its share of people with racist attitudes. So that would intimidate you??? Additionally, you probably should have a job rather than follow your gf and try to find a job. Your gf has a plan. What is yours? The job market is very competitive and you will need to bring good credentials or skills with you. That is where your head ought to be. I am reading into your question but I think you are interested in whether the the Tally culture is open minded to mixed couples. IMHO, yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 AM

1,867 posts, read 979,620 times
Tallahassee does not suffer from a high frequency of harsh blatant racism. I grew up out west in AZ and went to college in the midwest as an undergraduate. The stereotype of the "Deep South" is often negative: KKK, segregation, etc. But I lived in Tallahassee for about 13 years. That stereotype is not true. Harsh, blatant racism in the style of the 1960s George Wallace is no longer prevalent for much of the "Deep South". It can still happen, but it would most likely be infrequent compared to the 1950s.

However, I am Native American. I do have point out two new patterns of racism that tend to "fly under the radar": subtle racism and colorism. In the former, subtle racism is a type of minor, ambiguous racism that is not obvious to whites but very obvious to minorities. This type of subtle racism is still common in Tallahassee. So you may not run into multitude of whites professing loyalty to the KKK and yelling the "n" word. But you will very likely run into subtle racism: whites locking the car door in Publix parking lot, white women clutching purses at the sight of you, work-related promotions, etc. See this article to understand the context of subtle racism.
https://craigeisele.wordpress.com/20...society-today/

Next is colorism. This occurs when minorities discriminate against each other based on skin color. Based on my friendships with Asians, I do know there are traditional Asian families that do not want their children to marry "outsiders" - whites or blacks. That would be colorism. You may run into that from some (not all) Asians in the area. FSU has many Asian students and professors.

Another cold reality of modern Tallahassee for colorism involves black men and a pattern of preference for white women in the gym. I'll be blunt. I witnessed a very dark African American bodybuilder in Gold's Gym boast in the locker that he "... doesn't like black women". This guy was ultra-obsessed with blonde white women - particularly FSU college students. He pursued them with a passion and made a move on a different one almost daily in the gym. He was an example of colorism - a black man in Tallahassee who discriminates against black women by rejecting black women in preference for young blonde white women with blue eyes. The Eurocentric white beauty standards had obviously penetrated his innermost hormonal desires. That pattern does exist here. As a minority, I am well aware of colorism. He wasn't the only guy like that. Many of the FSU black male athletes have that same pattern. Herschel Walker and RGIII have both been with blonde white women from FSU. Walker actually impregnated an FSU alumna who was about 20 years younger but did not marry her. I wouldn't be surprised if RGIII does the same thing. The preference for white women is very intense in some of these guys. I am not naive.

To be fair, there is reverse racism from minorities to whites. When a coach or team asserts they prefer a "dual threat quarterback" that is code for "We don't want a slow white guy as a quarterback". The concept of the "slow white guy" and "ultra-fast black athletes" is reverse racism in the SEC and ACC. But that is also subtle. Brian Bosworth, the white linebacker of Oklahoma, blatantly pointed out that reverse racism in his book. A few years ago, his former coach, Barry Switzer, reasserted that reverse racism.

So racism is still prevalent in Tallahassee but in subtle, sophisticated ways "under the radar". But as a Native American I am well aware of these subtle patterns. I witnessed it many times. I now moved back to AZ.

Rural AZ is very harsh in racism against African Americans - far worse than the "Deep South". Southerners were relatively liberal. White racism is much worse in the suburbs of the midwestern metro areas like Chicago, Detroit, etc. When Notre Dame played Alabama in football, I actually felt more comfortable among Alabama fans as a brown Native American while working in Fort Lauderdale that year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee