Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,593,464 times

Advertisements

Thinking somewhere that is in between Tallahassee, and state parks like Florida Caverns and Torreya. Checked inside the parks and there was nothing available. Any other suggestions? Have a party of 7 and would prefer to all stay together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,115,699 times
try Airbnb for rentals in Tallahassee.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 PM

I looked, but unfortunately nothing really seemed to work out as well cost wise for our party. Other question: Was looking into either booking at the section of hotels at the last Tallahassee exit (199, near The Centre of Tallahassee Mall), which consist of a number of chains at varying prices, since that seems to be the last exit with wider options before Torreya. Now, there are a few places in between there I am curious about (Parkway Inn & Suites West Tallahassee at Exit 181, Snowbird Inn in Bristol, etc.), that may also be relatively cheap, but a little closer to the park. However, I am also worried about whether safety or cleanliness would be a concern at any of those locales. Do you get a lot of tourists from more flatland-ish parts of the state heading to these parks, and if so what were there experiences? Would you say that a motel near the park like that would be quaint/fine and potentially even add to the experience? Or would you say we are best to just stay at Exit 199, since that's still only about a 40-45 minute trip? Lastly, I'm familiar with Torreya, and Florida Caverns (and Falling Waters, though I don't know whether we will have time for that one also or how worthwhile it is considering that from what I understand it isn't very consistent unless there's a hard rain that day). We also have a general idea of some attractions we want to see for a few hours in Tallahassee on Sunday (and perhaps Friday night, as well). That being said, what else is there to do and see in the parks area west of town, besides trails and just sort of relaxing? I feel like that would be plenty, but we are traveling with 3 kids, and so there is an understanding that they may get antsy at certain points during the day. Don't want to have just one thing, and then have them tire of it by say, noonish. Lol.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 02-18-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 PM
TD*

Check out CCC campground.

They have tent camping, cabins you can rent that sleep 4, or RV sites.

It is a short distance from Torreya, and probably what you are looking for.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 PM

Great, thanks for that! I will look into it and see if they have any cabin rentals still available as that would work well if we could all fit in one especially.

As per parks. Is Falling Waters worth it? Which other state parks in the area are "can't miss"?

Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 AM
TD*

Falling waters is cool, but only after a large rain. If it's not rained lately there is a nice boardwalk which takes you out over a 80 foot or so drop where the falling water usually spills into. All of Florida state parks are nice for hiking and wildlife.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:28 AM
TD*

Another state park is 3 rivers in the area. Has nice camping and is on lake Seminole.

If you want to check out the beach, st George island state park or St. Andrews state park are very nice also

Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Thanks. I checked into what you said about the rain conditions at Falling Waters, and on their website apparently there is even a number you can call to see whether the waterfall is flowing well or not. Those all sound quite interesting. I think Tallahassee has the best natural features surrounding it of any decent sized city in the state of FL. The beaches you mentioned sound great, but given that it's only a Friday to Sunday trip, we probably won't hit them this time. Next time we are up though, it's quite probable we would do some combination of those beaches you mention, plus Apalachicola, as I've heard that town has a very unique vibe, given it's strong presence still in the fishing industry.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Hey, we really had a great trip. Ended up wimping out on cabin idea because of others in party. We stayed in budget, but chain hotels both nights. Friday night was in Tallahassee along Monroe Street near Exit 199. When we pulled in, even though we did pass a Starbucks and a Melting Pot, we were slightly worried that it might be a somewhat dangerous part of town? Is it? Couldn't beat hotel price for value. Felt much, much better there in the morning, so we met the party we were traveling with for breakfast between Whataburger and Krispy Kreme (don't have any of those back in Tampa Bay really. After that, we headed on to Torreya. It is really phenomenal between the forest, geology, and topography changes/views, unlike any other place I know of in FL. Does any other place compare? Because I don't know of one. It almost felt like hiking in Appalachia at times. Great loop and trail around the complex, very welcoming, and again, couldn't beat the 3$ admission tag for a full day of fun. After that, we headed on towards Marianna, and on a whim, went a little past it to Falling Waters, since they said there was at least some flow. We went, and were very pleasantly surprised. If nothing else, the sinkhole there is very impressive. Straight drop of a good distance, and thus, a unique waterfall. Flow wasn't spectacular, and it is not a place where one could kill a lot of time, but it was a very nice stop. We had a relaxing night in Marianna, which while a small town, had basic amenities met, and felt very safe/pleasant. Next morning, we headed over to Florida Caverns. The tour was extremely nice. I don't think many people would guess that something like this exists in Florida. It is a terrific place to visit for many Floridians who haven't been to a cave before, or at least not recently. The park also has a decent amount of trails also, not on the scale of Torreya, but one could probably kill at least half a day, if not a whole day here. On the way back, we stopped to visit a friend in Tallahassee, but she was delayed, and so we hit a couple stops beforehand (Jackson Mounds, and the Florida State Capitol). We then ate at a Cuban place near campus, called Gordo's. It was better than many Cuban places in Tampa Bay, and the price was excellent. From there, we headed out, but left on Miccosukee, one of the city's signature canopy roads. Overall, it was a fantastic trip and left me with an even more positive impression of the area, as a place to visit for a weekend, or even to eventually relocate too. It's smaller than other places in the state, and doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I feel it is very underrated. I think the fact that it is compact, and has the state capitol and Florida State help it compensate and offer as much to do as a number of larger cities further south in the state. I think the climate is preferably for me in that it actually gets cool during the winter, and more rapidly reaches a point where there are cooler mornings and evenings than in other parts of the state (April-May and September-October appear to be largely more comfortable than down south). It has a number of cultural institutions present because of it's standing, that can match some of the other FL cities, plus are cheaper since they are catering to people associated with the university, so one can attend them more regularly. I think the scenery surrounding Tallahassee is unmatched elsewhere in the state. Sure, you can still get to great beaches, but you also get forest everywhere (more deciduous looking), and at least some degree of topography too. Sports is already covered as I mentioned with FSU, some interesting history, good professional employment options, food that isn't just "southern comfort", again because of the university crowd I think in part, a pretty good mall, safe neighborhoods with good schools, and a COL-Earnings ratio that is much better than in the rest of the state. All around great place. Whether as a visitor, or even eventually as a resident, I will be back.

Edit: Forgot Location. I think it's pretty neat that I could drive to get to my Florida family/events/attractions in a single morning (7:30-12:00), but also in that amount of drive time get to places like New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, or even the Appalachian Mountains. Keeps you from feeling stuck, per se.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM
TD*

Im glad you had a good trip, and i hope you will move to Tallahassee soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee