U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,798 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Tallahassee next year to be with my Chinese girlfriend. The thing is, I am Black. I am worried that Whites and Latinos are going to kill me or call the cops on me, and if I live in a Black neighborhood it will be unsafe and crime-ridden (not to mention hostility against my Chinese girlfriend).

Any suggestions? She is going to be studying there, and I want to ensure our safety, find a decent mode of income there, and stay away from the criminal and/or racist element.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 11:42 AM
TD*

1,607 posts, read 3,458,226 times
You should not worry about that. Look into the Midtown area to live, its nice and safe.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
You should not worry about that. Look into the Midtown area to live, its nice and safe.
Thanks. I'll look into that area if I can. I appreciate your suggestion.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,055,483 times
Nah, you won't have any problems unless you go looking for it.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,166,534 times
It is not 1950, you should not have any problems as far as race.

Where are you moving from? If you are coming from a large metro area you will find Tallahassee to be a small town. Tallahassee has 2 universities and the state government but it is a large town in the middle of large swaths of rural areas

Old 07-26-2016, 07:15 PM

45 posts, read 41,542 times
Tally is like living in south Georgia or south Alabama, and it IS racist, even being the states capital. When Jeb Bush was governor, his Mexican-born wife refused to actually move from MIami to live there full time. THAT is a fact.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,055,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBad View Post
Tally is like living in south Georgia or south Alabama, and it IS racist, even being the states capital. When Jeb Bush was governor, his Mexican-born wife refused to actually move from MIami to live there full time. THAT is a fact.
I don't know what you are comparing Tallahassee to when you say that it's racist, but I found it to be much less racist/segregated than Daytona Beach where I grew up.

I don't think racial issues are why Columba was hesitant to move there. I think it had more to do with its relative small size and it being much more provincial than cosmopolitan Miami. She was just used to the big city life and all of its amenities.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:44 AM

23 posts, read 39,551 times
Tally is no more racist than any other area. I lived in Wisconsin. Same there as here.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,166,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
I don't know what you are comparing Tallahassee to when you say that it's racist, but I found it to be much less racist/segregated than Daytona Beach where I grew up.

I don't think racial issues are why Columba was hesitant to move there. I think it had more to do with its relative small size and it being much more provincial than cosmopolitan Miami. She was just used to the big city life and all of its amenities.
That is what is was or she just had an established life in Miami, why uproot everything for a a few years. It is pretty common for a politicians family to stay in the hometown and the elected official will commute

I have heard the Columba Bush is pretty unlikable as a person, regardless of her ethnic heritage

Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,672,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBad View Post
Yeah, Jeb's wife's racism is pretty well known, so it's no surprise she doesn't want to live around whites or blacks. That kind of attitude is widespread in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee