U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,771,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguru View Post
If you can stand the distance, maybe you should consider the Southwest, which is more dynamic than the south. Santa Fe has a nice arts scene I think and would have dry weather and a warm/generally pleasant climate.
Have you explored employment there? It's a resort town. Rents are high, but jobs are not plentiful.

I think there is plenty to do in Tally.

At FSU just this past couple weeks there was a Kimya Dawson concert, a showing of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly,and Open Mic Night at the Warehouse.
In the coming weeks: the Florida Wine Festival and a performance by the real Doc Hollywood, Dr. Neil Shulman, a concert by Iron and Wine, A Taste of India.

Atlanta would certainly be more progressive, and of course most FSU graduates leave, but I don't this is because of any innate problems with Tallahassee--not every student seeks employment in the city in which he has completed his education--one of my kids ended up leaving the USA.
Certainly there is a financial crunch with Florida higher education--there is a crunch *everywhere* these days, budget cuts abound.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Default Relocating to Tallahassee

I'm also tired of cold, wet weather. I'm also attracted to the activities you mention. And, I'm also considering Tallahassee as a future home. I'm 53 year old female and was wondering if anyone had replied to your questions about what to DO there?

I'm feeling a little intimidated about moving htere from what I've read, but take it all with a grain of salt. My husband will fit right in. Fishing, tv remote, beer and BBQ and he's happy.

I'll require something more. I understand the University has theatre and arts. Is there a concert forum for bigger name bands? Is there a baseball team (at least University level?)

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about the Farmer's Markets? or good local produce? Local jam and pickle makers? Anyone doing a drumming circle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda987 View Post
Hello,

I am a 25 year old female living in Portland, OR. I grew up in Tallahassee and went to school in Pensacola. I've lived in Portland about 5 1/2 years now. I am considering moving back to Tallahassee because increasingly I can't stand the cold, wet weather and also because I need to be near to family (who still live in Tally).

What I want to know is, am I crazy? I love Portland for it's progressive thinking, the music scene, the arts and culture, and for the beauty of Oregon. I moved from Florida because I wanted the excitement of the big(ger) city and because I didn't like the conservative, stagnant views that predominate in the south.

What I am wondering is, what is there to do in Tallahassee? I've never lived there as an adult. I am not into the bar scene, and I always felt that was strong in Tallahassee when I was a kid. I like hiking and the outdoors, arts and culture, books, cooking, and alternative medicine. Does everyone just drink in Tallahassee or is there more to do now? What about if you are single? What about jobs?

I'll probably go back to grad school once I re-gain residency...which will keep me sufficiently busy. I'm just wondering what I'll do until then...

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,538,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallicka View Post
I'm also tired of cold, wet weather. I'm also attracted to the activities you mention. And, I'm also considering Tallahassee as a future home. I'm 53 year old female and was wondering if anyone had replied to your questions about what to DO there?

I'm feeling a little intimidated about moving htere from what I've read, but take it all with a grain of salt. My husband will fit right in. Fishing, tv remote, beer and BBQ and he's happy.

I'll require something more. I understand the University has theatre and arts. Is there a concert forum for bigger name bands? Is there a baseball team (at least University level?)

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about the Farmer's Markets? or good local produce? Local jam and pickle makers? Anyone doing a drumming circle?

Initmidated? There is literally nothing here to be intimidated about! The crime issue is seriously exaggerated. There hasn't been a significant crime in the neighborhood I live in for 15 years or more. The "crime problem" is more or less confined to distinct areas on the south and west sides of the city.

If you don't know there is college sports here, I just don't know what else to tell you. Getting big name bands to come here can be a problem sometimes, though they do come - just not as often as they would Tampa or Atlanta.

As for the last part - we are in the middle of a huge agricultural area. Yes there are farmer's markets. They have one downtown in the park most Saturdays except the middle of winter. There is a small arts district.

There is also no shortage of hippies so there's your drum circle. Just outside of town there is a commune that is one of the last left operating since the sixties - and successfully so.

I am still curious as to why you think Tallahassee is "intimidating." The biggest complaint we usually get is that things are too tame here.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 AM

340 posts, read 973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
You will see as many if not more people from Portland on the forums looking for greener pastures. I have to admit Im one of them. She probably got home sick for Florida, who could blame her, it is a dismal depressing climate here. When you combine the climate and the constant begging from the large numbers of homeless and drug types here and the lack of employment , well it can take a toll on a person. People need their families, Portland is a long way from Tallahassee, and a long ways from alot of things. I wish her luck, and I hope she gets to go home.
Such an exodus can only be good for the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,710,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
You will see as many if not more people from Portland on the forums looking for greener pastures. I have to admit Im one of them. She probably got home sick for Florida, who could blame her, it is a dismal depressing climate here. When you combine the climate and the constant begging from the large numbers of homeless and drug types here and the lack of employment , well it can take a toll on a person. People need their families, Portland is a long way from Tallahassee, and a long ways from alot of things. I wish her luck, and I hope she gets to go home.
Same reason I moved from there. It is an isolated area. It is pretty and has some cool restaurants, hang outs, and progressive people, but... It also has all the things you have mentioned (weather, drugs, depression, unemployment) and the worst elements seem to just be increasing with the current economy.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM

569 posts, read 1,573,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Same reason I moved from there. It is an isolated area. It is pretty and has some cool restaurants, hang outs, and progressive people, but... It also has all the things you have mentioned (weather, drugs, depression, unemployment) and the worst elements seem to just be increasing with the current economy.
Florida has all the same problems but with even less progress and opportunities. People aren't depressed, unemployed, on drugs, heavy drinkers, cons, criminals, illegals, etc. in Florida? I wish. If the weather wasn't warm here there would be nobody living here. That is the only draw that mesmerizes people into false hope.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM

71 posts, read 325,576 times
There's been a recent uptick in violent crime (shootings, armed robberies) around Tallahassee in the past few months due to the downtown. The local mental health services have been cut severely, resulting in a lot of mentally ill individuals walking around downtown untreated, and many are quite unstable. A lot of the violence stems from drug gangs as well, which have grown substantially since 2005. Florida has lost a lot of ground since the mid 1990s due to the extremely conservative state government since the Jeb Bush era. I believe Florida's state elected government has the highest percentage of republicans in elected office, though the state did manage somehow to vote for Obama.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,538,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguru View Post
There's been a recent uptick in violent crime (shootings, armed robberies) around Tallahassee in the past few months due to the downtown. The local mental health services have been cut severely, resulting in a lot of mentally ill individuals walking around downtown untreated, and many are quite unstable. A lot of the violence stems from drug gangs as well, which have grown substantially since 2005. Florida has lost a lot of ground since the mid 1990s due to the extremely conservative state government since the Jeb Bush era. I believe Florida's state elected government has the highest percentage of republicans in elected office, though the state did manage somehow to vote for Obama.

Funny, because I am sitting downtown right smack next to the homeless shelter and bus station right now and see no such thing.

You have posted on this topic before. For some odd reason, you hate this place. You are entitled to your opinion, I suppose, but I think your reasons are more personal than factual. Perhaps you had a bad experience here.

As for Jeb, I couldn't agree more. BTW Tallahassee went for Obama pretty big, but that was hardly surprising since moderate democrats have run this place since it existed.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,710,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Florida has all the same problems but with even less progress and opportunities. People aren't depressed, unemployed, on drugs, heavy drinkers, cons, criminals, illegals, etc. in Florida? I wish. If the weather wasn't warm here there would be nobody living here. That is the only draw that mesmerizes people into false hope.
I am not saying that. Have you been to Portland though? There are far more homeless than Florida. The weather here helps a lot though! Florida has a much larger population and its own issues. I like Florida much more and have been pretty blessed here. I was just trying to relate to them because I also gladly left the NW and hope to never return.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM

569 posts, read 1,573,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I am not saying that. Have you been to Portland though? There are far more homeless than Florida. The weather here helps a lot though! Florida has a much larger population and its own issues. I like Florida much more and have been pretty blessed here. I was just trying to relate to them because I also gladly left the NW and hope to never return.
I understand but Portland is a big city unlike most in Florida. You will always find more homeless and down and outs in cities like Portland. Regardless of the weather Florida can be just as bad if you can't find a good job with benefits. People just don't realize this most of the time. I know some people and even some retirees who would not move here to save their lives from Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. It's a totally different way of life. I would never move to Florida without a good job first. It is very tough here.

I am glad you are happier and doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee