Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 25 year old female living in Portland, OR. I grew up in Tallahassee and went to school in Pensacola. I've lived in Portland about 5 1/2 years now. I am considering moving back to Tallahassee because increasingly I can't stand the cold, wet weather and also because I need to be near to family (who still live in Tally).

What I want to know is, am I crazy? I love Portland for it's progressive thinking, the music scene, the arts and culture, and for the beauty of Oregon. I moved from Florida because I wanted the excitement of the big(ger) city and because I didn't like the conservative, stagnant views that predominate in the south.

What I am wondering is, what is there to do in Tallahassee? I've never lived there as an adult. I am not into the bar scene, and I always felt that was strong in Tallahassee when I was a kid. I like hiking and the outdoors, arts and culture, books, cooking, and alternative medicine. Does everyone just drink in Tallahassee or is there more to do now? What about if you are single? What about jobs?

I'll probably go back to grad school once I re-gain residency...which will keep me sufficiently busy. I'm just wondering what I'll do until then...

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
Hi Ananda,

From your post, specifically this part....."What I want to know is, am I crazy? I love Portland for it's progressive thinking, the music scene, the arts and culture, and for the beauty of Oregon. I moved from Florida because I wanted the excitement of the big(ger) city and because I didn't like the conservative, stagnant views that predominate in the south." it sounds like you won't really be happy in Tallahassee. Portland and Tallahassee are worlds apart. Tallahassee gets just as cold as Portland, and gets way more rain. It just doesn't come down in an ongoing drizzle throughout the entire Winter.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
I guess the original poster has bailed but I was wondering how the progress of the move was going.

Though I originally got interested in Jville....then I dabbled a bit with Tampa...my Florida interest is centering on Tally. It might have everything I'm looking for.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the job "sitch"....the big job websites aren't showing me much...

Old 04-06-2008, 04:34 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda987 View Post
Hello,

I am a 25 year old female living in Portland, OR. I grew up in Tallahassee and went to school in Pensacola. I've lived in Portland about 5 1/2 years now. I am considering moving back to Tallahassee because increasingly I can't stand the cold, wet weather and also because I need to be near to family (who still live in Tally).

What I want to know is, am I crazy? I love Portland for it's progressive thinking, the music scene, the arts and culture, and for the beauty of Oregon. I moved from Florida because I wanted the excitement of the big(ger) city and because I didn't like the conservative, stagnant views that predominate in the south.

What I am wondering is, what is there to do in Tallahassee? I've never lived there as an adult. I am not into the bar scene, and I always felt that was strong in Tallahassee when I was a kid. I like hiking and the outdoors, arts and culture, books, cooking, and alternative medicine. Does everyone just drink in Tallahassee or is there more to do now? What about if you are single? What about jobs?

I'll probably go back to grad school once I re-gain residency...which will keep me sufficiently busy. I'm just wondering what I'll do until then...

I'm curious:

Provide your top 3 priorities and crazy don't count>>>

Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
You will see as many if not more people from Portland on the forums looking for greener pastures. I have to admit Im one of them. She probably got home sick for Florida, who could blame her, it is a dismal depressing climate here. When you combine the climate and the constant begging from the large numbers of homeless and drug types here and the lack of employment , well it can take a toll on a person. People need their families, Portland is a long way from Tallahassee, and a long ways from alot of things. I wish her luck, and I hope she gets to go home.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM

71 posts, read 340,745 times
Default Advice to consider

I live in Tallahassee and would describe the city as one with a tiny bit of culture around the Florida State University campus, but during the summers it shuts down. The area by Railroad square between FSU and FAMU is the small liberal oasis, but it is pretty small. The city away from campus is very conservative. Tallahassee does have some nice beauty compared to other Florida cities. The weather here in winter is often colder than in Portland, though the days warm up. Overall we have more rain here than Portland (about 60 inches or so) that often falls in very intense storms in the spring and summer. Recently we have had tornados in storm systems every week or so.

The local politicians offer lip service to progressives. The city is not exciting and is very stagnant overall. The state government is so weak that it is hardly recognizable that Tallahassee is a capital city. Florida is cutting just about every publicly funded entity this year, so its hardly progressive. They will be eliminating some degree programs at FSU due to cuts, so probably don't bother coming to Florida to go to graduate school. Also the city has a serious crime problem. Just this week there have been daily drive by shootings on Tennessee St. The local job market is really really bad at this point. Just about every business is letting people go, and there's hiring freezes just about everywhere.

I intend to leave Tallahassee as do most other students at graduation because there is nothing to do in this town. If you can stand the distance, maybe you should consider the Southwest, which is more dynamic than the south. Santa Fe has a nice arts scene I think and would have dry weather and a warm/generally pleasant climate. Also, any state does better on its public services and higher education than Florida. Phoenix, if you can handle the hot summer would also be an option. Las Vegas could also suit the bill for you based on weather. If you need to be near Tallahassee, consider Atlanta or New Orleans which are the only large progressive cities in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda987 View Post
Hello,

Old 04-07-2008, 12:00 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguru View Post
I live in Tallahassee and would describe the city as one with a tiny bit of culture around the Florida State University campus, but during the summers it shuts down. The area by Railroad square between FSU and FAMU is the small liberal oasis, but it is pretty small. The city away from campus is very conservative. Tallahassee does have some nice beauty compared to other Florida cities. The weather here in winter is often colder than in Portland, though the days warm up. Overall we have more rain here than Portland (about 60 inches or so) that often falls in very intense storms in the spring and summer. Recently we have had tornados in storm systems every week or so.

The local politicians offer lip service to progressives. The city is not exciting and is very stagnant overall. The state government is so weak that it is hardly recognizable that Tallahassee is a capital city. Florida is cutting just about every publicly funded entity this year, so its hardly progressive. They will be eliminating some degree programs at FSU due to cuts, so probably don't bother coming to Florida to go to graduate school. Also the city has a serious crime problem. Just this week there have been daily drive by shootings on Tennessee St. The local job market is really really bad at this point. Just about every business is letting people go, and there's hiring freezes just about everywhere.

I intend to leave Tallahassee as do most other students at graduation because there is nothing to do in this town. If you can stand the distance, maybe you should consider the Southwest, which is more dynamic than the south. Santa Fe has a nice arts scene I think and would have dry weather and a warm/generally pleasant climate. Also, any state does better on its public services and higher education than Florida. Phoenix, if you can handle the hot summer would also be an option. Las Vegas could also suit the bill for you based on weather. If you need to be near Tallahassee, consider Atlanta or New Orleans which are the only large progressive cities in the region.

I have lived in Tallahassee - all over it - for 21 years and I disagree with just about everything this person said.

But if I never got more than a mile or two away from campus I guess I might think that too. I think this poster missed 80% of Tallahassee - sounds like a student that never strayed very far from campus, because most of what he/she said above is true only in certain parts of the city: around campus, and south of downtown.

Tallahassee is about as progressive as you can get in Florida. If you don't buy it, check out the red/blue electoral map for the last two Presidential elections.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
I've heard for about a year now that the Univ of Florida is going to gut a lot of grad programs. I haven't heard anything negative (financially) about FSU...

I believe people notice homeless and blight moreso in recessions then in positive economies. I'm not sure the "net" number of homeless has increased..I think people are noticing them more. May seem more like a human nature thing rather then an economic indicator. I know here in my part of Cali...there is a largely visible homeless population. I see them in the same areas as I've always seen them. What I haven't seen before is the large vacant retail space everywhere. I've seen this is San Diego, Albuquerque and Fresno...vacant retail space is everywhere...buildings are abandoned...blight is a national epidemic.

I'm anxious to check Tally out for myself...I think it could be a great place.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

71 posts, read 340,745 times
Office of the President (http://president.fsu.edu/issues/ - broken link)

This website has a video where the President of FSU is talking about some of brain drain problems. Also the Board of Trustees this last week had on its agenda program terminations. Specifics are not yet known. Board of Trustees - Florida State University (http://trustees.fsu.edu/meeting/index.html?2008-04-03A - broken link)

In reference to Strel, I have been in the outlying areas of Tallahassee and found nothing specifically progressive out there. I think downtown Miami is starting to have a bit of a renaissance, and the arts are improving some down there. The Gold Coast is a bit more progressive in my opinion. The biggest drawbacks down there are traffic congestion and some underbuilt infrastructure.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 AM

173 posts, read 521,952 times
Hmmm, well I lived in a not to bad area of the south side of Tallahassee. It seems like Tallahassee has changed, since I often see the city on cops. I'm in Jville now and I don't know if Tallahassee is as bad as bigger cities. I lived there throughout my life until last year, and I've heard there has been problems with bank robberies and etc. since I've left. But I'm sure the murder rate doesn't come close to the murder rate of bigger cities, which is indeed a blessing. Likes like it the FDLE report released here http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR...y_annual07.pdf , compare Leon counties crime index and murder rate to other cities. For example last year Leon county had five murders, compare that to Duval counties 125 murders, or Miami Dade Counties 228 murders.

But I agree with others, still use common sense and wisdom like you would use in a bigger city, and you may want to stay away from the southside, but don't fear the southside. Don't go there thinking your better than others, a tough guy, you might find problems. But then again, wikipedia says that Tallahassee was ranked higher in crime than Jacksonville, I also remember hearing that on the news. Go here Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and in the crime section you will see "As of Nov 19, 2007, Jacksonville ranked the 11th most dangerous city in Florida, safer than Orlando (1st), Miami (3rd), Tampa (6th), Tallahassee (7th) and Gainesville (8th). Nationwide, Jacksonville was ranked as the 115th most dangerous city; Detroit was 1st." Since I live in Jville Tally may be experiencing a crime problem I don't know about. Just be safe and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee