U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 AM

8 posts, read 7,037 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure on which state that I want to relocate to yet, but Tallahassee, Florida is one that I'm considering. Is it a good place to raise a family, is there a strong job market and entertainment? I'm looking for a city to live that's midsize with the major city conviences.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 07:03 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
Yes, Tallahassee is a great city for families. It has great parks, is a great medium sized city. The job market is improving all the time, but tops in Law Firms, Government, Healthcare, Higher Education, and professional services. I think you would love it here

Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,034,768 times
Yes to all. It is a great city, beautiful and lively with something for everyone.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM
TD*

Have you made plans to take a trip here?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 PM

25 posts, read 37,721 times
Moved here in June after living in Europe for years. Weather was major factor for choosing this area but would have picked other FL cities if it were not just easier to stop here based on our circumstances.

Great sunny skies most of the time makes it excellent for outdoor play for kids and families, etc. During the day, bugs are at minimum. My daughter is outside daily, rain or shine, playing in sand, etc. She loves it. The beach on St. George Island is beautiful.

Mosquitoes are awful though in summer especially and just recently this month as early as January they're back on, only not as bad, mostly at dusk. That annoyance makes outdoor activities in Summer hard to adjust to especially because I am not that accustomed to them having grown up in western US drier climate. If you can figure out the best spray to repel them you'll do fine but avoid dusk and invest in a bat box. Not just an annoyance these days but a health hazard. That is something I may one day get tired of, in addition to the potential that hurricanes could pick up. This summer a minor one blew through and we lost power for a week. The trees are beautiful but huge and city not that prepared to deal with hurricanes and electric lines easily fall. Could change how long we stay if that sort of thing goes on too often as time passes by.

Definitely is a real city in that you can find whatever you need here for the most part. We came already having work so that was not an issue and I can't comment on job market but there appears to be plenty of retail gigs available and many we know work at the local universities or for the county/government. Taxes are reasonable overall for just about everything, but food tax is fairly high and we paid a hefty tax on our car we had just bought out of state prior to arrival, though we'd already paid in previous state.

Overall we like it but in all honesty, if you are from more liberal areas, the divide, which can be veiled at times, between races is at times challenging. People sticking to their own race and so forth, something I am not used to either coming from CA. But, one can find these kinds of things taking place in all sorts of places and ways around the globe, as I've experienced. Having said that though, people here are overall quite friendly and chatty. We feel safe and see many with families around. We particularly like the south heading from the city toward the coast for natural beauty and proximity to beach, also wacissa river, beautiful.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM
TD*

Fungirl what did u decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: