U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,638 times

Advertisements

Hello Tallahassians
I'm returning to Tallahassee after leaving in 1999 so I can imagine Tallahassee has grown considerably.
I will be working on the West side of town and I'm looking for a friendly apartment complex nearby.
I've looked at a few apartments but after reading too many negative reviews I move on to then next apartment. Any recommendations? I had a friend who use to live in Arbor View and she loved it but that's all the knowledge I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 06:08 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,330,008 times
Hello! Any of the Arbor properties seem to be a good bet. Personally Im really fond of ashford club in midtown.

Another option is renting a duplex or a house from a property management company.

Tallahassee has grown tremendously, which has been nice.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 PM

1,571 posts, read 793,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohnsGhost View Post
Hello Tallahassians
I'm returning to Tallahassee after leaving in 1999 so I can imagine Tallahassee has grown considerably.
I will be working on the West side of town and I'm looking for a friendly apartment complex nearby.
I've looked at a few apartments but after reading too many negative reviews I move on to then next apartment. Any recommendations? I had a friend who use to live in Arbor View and she loved it but that's all the knowledge I have.
You were much younger in 1999. As a Generation X guy who recently left Tallahassee for Arizona, my impression of Tallahassee is that it is primarily a college town catering to those FSU students between 18-22. Those older would feel out-of-place as I knew many who did. I lived in Tallahassee from 2002-2017 (February). I remember the early days of the Chris Rix Era to the Winston scandals. Tallahassee did grow tremendously compared just to 2002. There is a whole neighborhood and set of business that grew out by Southwood Complex on land that was barren in 2002. I ultimately earned a master's degree from FSU while working for the state. I got to know Tallahassee really well. It definitely is a college town. Most FSU graduates I knew seemed to be happiest on the I-4 corridor to live the "Yuppie" lifestyle (Tampa, Orlando, etc). I was about to move to Orlando in March but suddenly got a job in Phoenix by surprise in February. So I left. To be fair to FL, I would have enjoyed Central FL.

The area near Pensacola St. and Ocala St. west of FSU would be best to avoid. Those apartments are teeming with college students (18-22). However, if you like to workout, I would recommend Gold's Gym on Pensacola St. The neighborhood out on route 20 on the far west side seems more family-friendly for an older demographic group. I know that area because I worked in Panama City for a few years and semi-commuted while owning a home in Tallahassee. You could also try Old Bainbridge Road north of I-10 or closer to it. The closer you get to FSU, the more college students you will see with the many parties, noise, real-life soap operas manifested from Tinder, facebook triangles, etc. I did not want to be like "Frank the Tank" just to fit in - LOL (the middle-aged "Old School" character partying with college students). I once had four drunk college girls from FSU try to get into my truck when I was at St. Thomas More praying at night. I just drove off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDzLLhcjg

I am 100% relieved to have left Tallahassee. Everyday I feel euphoric here in Arizona. This morning I went running at a national park near Tucson. I loved it. Tallahassee is in the past now. Scottsdale (North Phoenix) is definitely great for Generation X.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 AM
TD*

Glad you like Arizona

Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 PM

480 posts, read 940,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
You were much younger in 1999. As a Generation X guy who recently left Tallahassee for Arizona, my impression of Tallahassee is that it is primarily a college town catering to those FSU students between 18-22. Those older would feel out-of-place as I knew many who did. I lived in Tallahassee from 2002-2017 (February). I remember the early days of the Chris Rix Era to the Winston scandals. Tallahassee did grow tremendously compared just to 2002. There is a whole neighborhood and set of business that grew out by Southwood Complex on land that was barren in 2002. I ultimately earned a master's degree from FSU while working for the state. I got to know Tallahassee really well. It definitely is a college town. Most FSU graduates I knew seemed to be happiest on the I-4 corridor to live the "Yuppie" lifestyle (Tampa, Orlando, etc). I was about to move to Orlando in March but suddenly got a job in Phoenix by surprise in February. So I left. To be fair to FL, I would have enjoyed Central FL.

The area near Pensacola St. and Ocala St. west of FSU would be best to avoid. Those apartments are teeming with college students (18-22). However, if you like to workout, I would recommend Gold's Gym on Pensacola St. The neighborhood out on route 20 on the far west side seems more family-friendly for an older demographic group. I know that area because I worked in Panama City for a few years and semi-commuted while owning a home in Tallahassee. You could also try Old Bainbridge Road north of I-10 or closer to it. The closer you get to FSU, the more college students you will see with the many parties, noise, real-life soap operas manifested from Tinder, facebook triangles, etc. I did not want to be like "Frank the Tank" just to fit in - LOL (the middle-aged "Old School" character partying with college students). I once had four drunk college girls from FSU try to get into my truck when I was at St. Thomas More praying at night. I just drove off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDzLLhcjg

I am 100% relieved to have left Tallahassee. Everyday I feel euphoric here in Arizona. This morning I went running at a national park near Tucson. I loved it. Tallahassee is in the past now. Scottsdale (North Phoenix) is definitely great for Generation X.
Very nice in Scottsdale. I spend a lot of time there on business in the old town area (E Indian School Rd & Scottsdale Rd).

Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 AM

12 posts, read 5,177 times
Agreed, Tally is mostly a college town, and full of good ole boy bureaucrats..have fun.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 AM
TD*

JohnJohn when are you moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee