U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 AM

1,555 posts, read 784,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaTL View Post
Hi. I'm planning a move to Tallahassee in the next couple of months. I'm 49 and I wondered if I could get some opinions on what it is like to live there. I enjoy kayaking, swimming, etc. minus the alligators. I visited there in July and loved it, but I wanted to get some opinions here from people who are living there. Thanks.
I am also from Generation X. I felt very out-of-place in a college town with a hyperfocus on the age group of about 19-22. I think the I-4 corridor, Jacksonville, or some parts of South FL may be a better choice. If you are married with a family and have many relatives/friends in the area, then it may be an excellent choice. For those of that genre (married, southern, locally-rooted), Tallahassee is actually a good choice.
But for a single adult in the late 40s it's horrible. The town is youth-centric. The freshmen at FSU typically see as mid 20s or beyond as "very old". Even a graduate student of age 26 often feels out-of-place at FSU. Many FSU graduates move to the I-4 corridor or some other age-diverse metro area for that reason. Dating is horrible. The women closer to my age group were usually divorced with children. Despite being old, I actually did meet young FSU women who wanted to date. But they are in that phase of tailgating, campus partying, FSU dance marathon, spring break, etc. so that it was a severe mismatch. I don't even drink alcohol. To try and hang out with them would be like a scene out of "Old School". I didn't want to date undergraduates - a 30 year old DNP would have been a better match. But such a single person (undivorced without children) did not exist for me when I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDzLLhcjg

The typical Tallahasse person who is single in our age group (or close) is divorced with children (e.g. Jimbo Fisher and his ex-wife). I saw a lot of infidelity and divorce when I was there. Southern drama of failed marriages is common - just check the court dockets at Leon County. You will see many "disolutions of marriage". FSU has had some national exposure on failed marriages recently (one arrest occurred at the stadium - another involved an FSU law professor).

The people from Generation X who actually like it there are usually from the south - local FSU graduates born and raised in the FL Pahandle with multi-generational southern roots. It's part of the "Bible Belt". They would do things like tubing, church-based picnics (e.g. Anglican, Baptist), beach-related activities (ocean kayaking, saltwater fishing, beach volleyball, running, etc). NASCAR is big in the FL Pahnadle. So is southern-rooted football. In Tallahassee that would be FSU. The small college town gets ludicrously crowded during home-game weekends.

I moved back to Phoenix, AZ and prefer it here by far. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have met people in the FL Panhandle who I honestly cannot imagine being happy anywhere else. Some of them are truly rooted in the area.

I think it would be hard for a single woman of age 49 to truly enjoy Tallahassee since ageism is a problem there. The youth-centric focus on 19-22 with "young FSU college women" placed on a pedestal as a social standard of beauty would seem really unfair. But ageism is rampant there. I wouldn't recommend it. Just google "FSU cowgirls" and you will see what guys typically go for in that area (even some of the old guys).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM

231 posts, read 187,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaTL View Post
Hi. I'm planning a move to Tallahassee in the next couple of months. I'm 49 and I wondered if I could get some opinions on what it is like to live there. I enjoy kayaking, swimming, etc. minus the alligators. I visited there in July and loved it, but I wanted to get some opinions here from people who are living there. Thanks.
Now that you’re there how do you like it?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,324,714 times
Kayaking and swimming is brilliant here. Paddle the rivers and springs, swim at the beach or the springs. Come on down

Old 11-30-2019, 11:29 PM

394 posts, read 256,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyebluesky90 View Post
I grew up in Tallahassee and lived in the Bertín Hills neighborhood. It’s a great place to raise a family and for anyone looking for a little bit of a calmer city.
Betton Hills?

I grew up there too

Woo hoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or