U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 AM

189 posts, read 191,041 times

Advertisements

We are now in the Sarasota area and are thinking of moving further north as we travel in the summer months. The Crawfordville area seems nice,quiet,and a little country.Our concerns are proximity to shopping like groceries and Lowes/ Home Depot type places.Is the drive to Tally a fairly easy drive for say a day trip of shopping? We are retired so we just make a day of it. Our other concern was medical facilities being we're not getting any younger. Ideally we'd like to find a little 2 acre or so parcel with a smaller home for under $250,000,doable?
Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM
TD*

1,588 posts, read 3,371,302 times
Yes. Its about 30 minute drive to Tallahassee from Crawfordville.

They have a Winn Dixie in Crawfordville and a Walmart. I believe they have Ace hardware as well.

The drive is a straight shot up 319. 20-25 minutes and you hit capital circle. There is a publix grocery store right there at capital circle.

Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare and Capital Regional Medical Center are the 2 hospitals in Tally.

I think your budget is right, and you are soon on with your analysis that it is a little bit country in crawfordville.

I personally would live in Leon County, Gadsden, or Jefferson over Wakulla but thats just personal preference.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM

189 posts, read 191,041 times
Thanks TD for your advice. Would you mind elaborating more on the reasons for the other counties? We're definitely flexible with this move. We've lived in small towns before and have an idea of what to expect.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM
JAS

581 posts, read 1,847,333 times
Crawfordville is very "country" ... okay, redneck ... as are many of the areas outside of Tallahassee, some more than others. If you don't mind that, you should be able to find plenty of cheap land around there. One other note to make you aware ... the land south of Tallahassee in Wakulla County is very flat and sandy, compared to the more rolling hills and red clay base that is in the Tallahassee area.

I believe there have been some issues with government officials in the past, but I haven't paid much attention to that in recent years.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:01 PM

15 posts, read 10,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
We are now in the Sarasota area and are thinking of moving further north as we travel in the summer months. The Crawfordville area seems nice,quiet,and a little country.Our concerns are proximity to shopping like groceries and Lowes/ Home Depot type places.Is the drive to Tally a fairly easy drive for say a day trip of shopping? We are retired so we just make a day of it. Our other concern was medical facilities being we're not getting any younger. Ideally we'd like to find a little 2 acre or so parcel with a smaller home for under $250,000,doable?
Thanks in advance
It's beautiful there and I think you can get a lot for your money. They do have Walmart and an Ace Hardware. If you're used to the country, you'll be fine here. People are friendly. The coast is close if you like to fish or just look at the water. Wakulla Springs is nice, too. Closest hospital is in Tallahasse, but that's not too far of a drive. They have Urgent Care and a Minite Clinic in Crawforville for anything else. I'd recommend it.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
Thanks TD for your advice. Would you mind elaborating more on the reasons for the other counties? We're definitely flexible with this move. We've lived in small towns before and have an idea of what to expect.
Hello, I just joined City data and saw your post. I live in Crawfordville, FL and moved 10 years ago from Tallahassee.

I absolutely love it! It has small town charm and the locals are friendly. The county have several fun local festivals for different events. The Worm Gruntin Festival is in quaint little Sopchoppy where "back in the day" folks used to grunt worms for a living. The Blue Crab festival in Panacea is lots of fun and plenty of blue crab. The stone crab festival in the fall held in St Marks an "Old Florida" little fishing village.

Wakulla County also has three rivers that flow into the Gulf of Mexico. The Wakulla River starts at Wakulla Springs and is Gorgeous crystal clear water, The St Marks River has sparkling clear water and the fisherman love it, The Ocholocknee River divides Wakulla County & Franklin County right down the middle and has lots of boats on the river.

If you like "Laid Back" living, enjoy watching wildlife, miles of walking or biking trails, eating fresh seafood, hunting and fishing, boating, kayaking or walking on the beach, Wakulla County is the place for you!

Old 10-20-2018, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,097 times
New to forum & probably should have added new ? but decided to post here, as some people have given info about areas I am considering for move to FL. I have been reading the Tal forum to try and get a 'flavor' of the small coastal towns near Tal. Lived in Bradenton for elementary school years. I was young, so memories include awesome weather and beaches! Parents moved back to Michigan (freeze every winter) where I still live @ 50 years old now. Want to return to FL in next few years. Moving my business to mostly online work, so I will have flexibility with work options. Looking at small towns since I'm NOT a city person who needs close or sophisticated entertainment, art, cultural events; hour drive is fine for my needs Sounds like Tal would have all I would need. I prefer beaches, land, and dogs. Well educated (Masters degree), but would enjoy the simplicity of small town life. What I would like to find in a small town: 10 min or less to beach; 30 minutes or less to Wal-Mart or grocery store; restaurant options in small town that include more than just seafood restraunts; restraunts and/or pubs where people are friendly enough to have conversation with people, other than those they came with and low crime. Towns I am considering visiting to narrow my options: St Mark's; Carabelle; Keaton beach (not near Ta l-in Taylor County). I do understand the recent hurricane damage may impact these towns, but info about their pre-hurricane feel is fine. All feedback appreciated and welcome!

Last edited by Back to FL; 10-20-2018 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Bad typing lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee