Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia1997 View Post
Stay in Philly. It's an awesome city! Nothing but racist white trash rednecks here with many employed by the government because they're unemployable in the private sector.

https://newsone.com/3838215/florida-...eme-tom-shand/

FSU officials, students react to revoked fraternity's post about Mexicans | News | wtxl.com

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...test-flag-ban/

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20...nfederate-flag

What a ridiculous load of pure crap. And breitbart? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 01:40 PM

63 posts, read 55,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan21 View Post
I currently live outside of Philadelphia, but my wife and I are considering the move to Florida within the next couple of years. I am looking to get a greater insight into what major city in Florida has to offer. We have already visited Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and plan to visit Tampa next. Tallahassee is on the list after that, but first I'd like to learn more about what this area has to offer.

First I will start off with what interests me in Tallahassee.

-It is the closest Florida metropolitan area to New Orleans, not considering the pure vacation resort cities like Pensacola and Panama. While Tampa, Orlando, and Miami seem to have more to offer in terms of entertainment for young professionals, Tallahassee is a much closer drive to my parents' house in Bay St. Louis, MS. Tallahassee would seem ideal for an extended weekend trip back home.

-I grew up in Southern Louisiana, so I am used to the heat and humidity. While the winters in the Philadelphia area are not as extreme as places father North, id take a heatwave over a blizzard any day.
When you come from the South and live up north for the first time, icy cold weather sucks.

-While Tallahassee is not on the beach, it is still close to the Panhandle beaches. If we did move closer, there is the possibility of my family buying beach property in the Panhandle for weekend getaways.

-The cost of living seems to be cheaper than South or Central Florida. Then again, the job opportunities are probably more limited and salary is most likely not as high.

And here are the questions I have for those

-Do you find much cultural diversity in Tallahassee? One of the aspects I love about living in the Northeast is that I get to meet people from so many different countries and ethnicities. My wife is from Brazil, so we would love to find other Brazilians to mingle with if possible.

-What would it be like meeting new people amongst our age group and lifestyle? Is there much of a cosmopolitan presence in the city or would one feel like an outsider if not born and raised in North Florida?

-We are both in our early 30s. We aren't looking for New Orleans, Miami or Las Vegas level of crazy nightlife, but still somewhere to go outside of college bars that bears some semblance of liveliness. We are what you would see DINKs, dual income, no kids. What is social life like for those within our demographics who aren't college students and aren't parents?

-Would you say Tallahassee is similar in atmosphere to Baton Rouge? Is there much outside of college life in Tallassee like there is in Baton Rouge? I lived in Baton Rouge, which is primarily a college town as well. Baton Rouge has its university dominated area, its urban area where the capital is located, and its suburban area.

This is just a consideration, but I would definitely have a job lined up first before away from where I am now. I am a certified ESL teacher, and my wife works in computer aid / informational systems management. How are the job markets for these respective fields in your area?
Wrt cultural diversity: International Coffee Hour at FSU, when things are operating as normal (e.g. no/minimal corona transmission risk), is open to the public and is a great place to meet people from other countries.

If you're a certified ESL teacher, you can keep your teaching abilities in shape by volunteering for Literacy Volunteers of Leon County (if you volunteer for them, say hi to Karen for me: she's an amazing volunteer manager). Education First also sporadically hires temporary ESL teachers for their summer homestay programs in the area if you ever find yourself in need of a short-term position while between jobs here.

Social income for DINKs would be the Midtown and Killearn areas (Midtown is the nightlife spot for grads/early-middle aged singles and DINKs with a ton of bars and restaurants, while Killearn is a much more tightlaced and conservative area but still has a few decent restaurants for a day out)

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee