U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 14,992 times

Advertisements

I currently live outside of Philadelphia, but my wife and I are considering the move to Florida within the next couple of years. I am looking to get a greater insight into what major city in Florida has to offer. We have already visited Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and plan to visit Tampa next. Tallahassee is on the list after that, but first I'd like to learn more about what this area has to offer.

First I will start off with what interests me in Tallahassee.

-It is the closest Florida metropolitan area to New Orleans, not considering the pure vacation resort cities like Pensacola and Panama. While Tampa, Orlando, and Miami seem to have more to offer in terms of entertainment for young professionals, Tallahassee is a much closer drive to my parents' house in Bay St. Louis, MS. Tallahassee would seem ideal for an extended weekend trip back home.

-I grew up in Southern Louisiana, so I am used to the heat and humidity. While the winters in the Philadelphia area are not as extreme as places father North, id take a heatwave over a blizzard any day.
When you come from the South and live up north for the first time, icy cold weather sucks.

-While Tallahassee is not on the beach, it is still close to the Panhandle beaches. If we did move closer, there is the possibility of my family buying beach property in the Panhandle for weekend getaways.

-The cost of living seems to be cheaper than South or Central Florida. Then again, the job opportunities are probably more limited and salary is most likely not as high.

And here are the questions I have for those

-Do you find much cultural diversity in Tallahassee? One of the aspects I love about living in the Northeast is that I get to meet people from so many different countries and ethnicities. My wife is from Brazil, so we would love to find other Brazilians to mingle with if possible.

-What would it be like meeting new people amongst our age group and lifestyle? Is there much of a cosmopolitan presence in the city or would one feel like an outsider if not born and raised in North Florida?

-We are both in our early 30s. We aren't looking for New Orleans, Miami or Las Vegas level of crazy nightlife, but still somewhere to go outside of college bars that bears some semblance of liveliness. We are what you would see DINKs, dual income, no kids. What is social life like for those within our demographics who aren't college students and aren't parents?

-Would you say Tallahassee is similar in atmosphere to Baton Rouge? Is there much outside of college life in Tallassee like there is in Baton Rouge? I lived in Baton Rouge, which is primarily a college town as well. Baton Rouge has its university dominated area, its urban area where the capital is located, and its suburban area.

This is just a consideration, but I would definitely have a job lined up first before away from where I am now. I am a certified ESL teacher, and my wife works in computer aid / informational systems management. How are the job markets for these respective fields in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,324,714 times
Tallahassee is a great city. I think you should come check it out. There are many areas outside of the University that are sophisticated and fun for going out.

Check out midtown, north-side etc.

The city has a great employment picture with city/county state government jobs, along with a growing tech startup scene. There are tech businesses and traditional banking and healthcare as well.

The best part of the city is it’s green and growing quickly. Trees everywhere and award winning parks and greenways also.

Meeting new people is easy. Lots of friendly groups and active people.

Come for a visit

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 PM
TD*

It is similar to Baton Rouge in some ways, but much better honestly.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 AM

17 posts, read 14,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
It is similar to Baton Rouge in some ways, but much better honestly.
In what ways?

Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM
TD*

I haven’t been to Baton Rouge, but the college, being a capital city, except it’s much nicer than Baton Rouge. People tell me Baton Rouge is kind of ghetto

Old 06-29-2018, 06:12 AM

370 posts, read 220,267 times
If being around Brazilians is a concern, South Orlando is for you.

Tally is not what one would call is "cosmopolitan" city. It's a college town that has more in common with South Georgia than FL.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 AM

370 posts, read 220,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I haven’t been to Baton Rouge, but the college, being a capital city, except it’s much nicer than Baton Rouge. People tell me Baton Rouge is kind of ghetto
LOL, so is Tally! Both cities have large AA populations.

Baton Rouge has a more diversified economy. Both cities have state government and college jobs, but BR also has good paying petro-chemical jobs and is a port city.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
-Do you find much cultural diversity in Tallahassee? One of the aspects I love about living in the Northeast is that I get to meet people from so many different countries and ethnicities. My wife is from Brazil, so we would love to find other Brazilians to mingle with if possible.
Florida is very diverse, especially South Florida and much of Central Florida. North Florida is lesser so, although you will still find a mix of people in Tallahassee thanks to the three colleges and state workforce.

-What would it be like meeting new people amongst our age group and lifestyle? Is there much of a cosmopolitan presence in the city or would one feel like an outsider if not born and raised in North Florida?
It's a pretty transient town as many people move there to study or work (or both, i.e. academia). There is a light cosmopolitan feeling to the city and it's ever-growing.

-We are both in our early 30s. We aren't looking for New Orleans, Miami or Las Vegas level of crazy nightlife, but still somewhere to go outside of college bars that bears some semblance of liveliness. We are what you would see DINKs, dual income, no kids. What is social life like for those within our demographics who aren't college students and aren't parents?
Midtown is a good option here. Tallahassee has a good night life, especially for a city its size. And when you're in the mood for college bars, you will have no problem finding a fun night out. Avoid the ones that allow under 21 and you'll be in better shape.

-Would you say Tallahassee is similar in atmosphere to Baton Rouge? Is there much outside of college life in Tallassee like there is in Baton Rouge? I lived in Baton Rouge, which is primarily a college town as well. Baton Rouge has its university dominated area, its urban area where the capital is located, and its suburban area.
Can't speak on this.

This is just a consideration, but I would definitely have a job lined up first before away from where I am now. I am a certified ESL teacher, and my wife works in computer aid / informational systems management. How are the job markets for these respective fields in your area?
Can't speak on this either.

I'll just add that I lived in Tallahassee for 4 years and fell in love with the city (and studied Urban Planning because of it). It's a dynamic city undergoing it's next incarnation as a cosmopolitan urban area brimming with an educated populace, and led by progressive thinkers. Good grade schools to choose from, too. And its quite beautiful.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 PM

1,555 posts, read 784,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan21 View Post
I currently live outside of Philadelphia, but my wife and I are considering the move to Florida within the next couple of years. I am looking to get a greater insight into what major city in Florida has to offer. We have already visited Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and plan to visit Tampa next. Tallahassee is on the list after that, but first I'd like to learn more about what this area has to offer.

First I will start off with what interests me in Tallahassee.

-It is the closest Florida metropolitan area to New Orleans, not considering the pure vacation resort cities like Pensacola and Panama. While Tampa, Orlando, and Miami seem to have more to offer in terms of entertainment for young professionals, Tallahassee is a much closer drive to my parents' house in Bay St. Louis, MS. Tallahassee would seem ideal for an extended weekend trip back home.

-I grew up in Southern Louisiana, so I am used to the heat and humidity. While the winters in the Philadelphia area are not as extreme as places father North, id take a heatwave over a blizzard any day.
When you come from the South and live up north for the first time, icy cold weather sucks.

-While Tallahassee is not on the beach, it is still close to the Panhandle beaches. If we did move closer, there is the possibility of my family buying beach property in the Panhandle for weekend getaways.

-The cost of living seems to be cheaper than South or Central Florida. Then again, the job opportunities are probably more limited and salary is most likely not as high.

And here are the questions I have for those

If your wife is in IT, the jobs are limited in Tallahassee. I worked in IT for nine years in Tallahassee. Most of those people worked at the state government. It was very political and somewhat medium in pay. The technology also tended to be behind the times. As a compromise, I would recommend Jacksonville or the I-4 corridor. Central FL and South FL also have more Brazilian communities. Your wife might get culturally isolated in Tallahassee. By contrast, it seems like you would be happy there since you are very familiar with the Gulf and the FL Panhandle. However, I understand marriage has to be a balance. I think your wife would be happier in Central or South FL. West Palm Beach has a huge presence of Brazilians - the kind who actually spell it with an "s" instead of a "z" with an accent over the "i". If she were to run a half marathon or marathon in South FL she would meet many of them - often the winners. I fell hard for a Brazilian woman when I was in graduate school in Gainesville at UF. I told her "Voce e linda". That was years ago. I have since moved back to AZ.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,458 times
South Orlando, Suits well for you...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or