U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. Currently, I'm living in Sacramento, and I'm drawing to the end of my career, but there is an opportunity to cap it off by applying for a promotion to our office - which is in gov't - in Tallahassee.

I have been to Tallahassee long ago while looking at possible future places that I might be working, and while originally from Iowa, I've lived on the East Coast - Northern and Central Virginia on the 95 corridor - and I lived in Jackson, MS from 99-07. So I'm familiar with the culture of the deep South and panhandle FL, which is much different than the rest of FL (which, quite frankly, having visited South Florida, is not a place I would want to be).

I'm not sure that at this point a move to TLH makes sense in my life cycle except it is a *lot* cheaper, with no state income tax. It would enable me to inflate my retirement savings a wee bit. However, it would also mean ripping up roots I've established here the last 11 years. Being single, and realizing this is a smaller city that's primary a college and gov't center, I am concerned about the size of the dating pool, for one. I have been divorced for 10 years and haven't had a great deal of luck in finding a compatible partner in greater Sacramento that's into a healthy lifestyle - many of the women my age or slightly younger either want a Johnny QB physical type, or if they are interested, look like they've swallowed a wine barrel for breakfast. I don't expect a supermodel but it would be nice to meet someone that's educated, fit and isn't a right wing religious, social or political fanatic (or gulp, all three). I am NOT a West Coast liberal but a fiscally conservative social libertarian.

I am also concerned that even for college towns in the South, quirky - I am a Buddhist, I do yoga, I dislike unhealthy lifestyles, I'm heavily inked, when I'm not at work, I'm wearing a kilt, and I'm a musician that plays bass in jazz and smooth jazz groups. I cycle moderately when I'm not doing yoga.

Housing here is insane, and the crowding and cost of everything is going to just get worse, but, OTOH, I am probably only going to be here another 3-4 years at the most, so I'm going to have to leave sooner or later. It would be nice to be a short drive to a beach that isn't surrounded by a monsterously huge city like the Bay Area and is actually swimmable during the warm months.

I'm looking at rents right now and dropping my jaw at how cheap a modest townhouse would be. I can rent one for the grand plus that one bedrooms appear to be going for here. But remembering my time in Jackson, the cling of social conservatism and anyone that isn't bowing to the Angry Protestant God - yes, I know its a college town, but its still the Deep South - and it doesn't seem wise to move somewhere that you can't be yourself because, well, being ME is frowned upon. LOL

I have until the 25th to put my application in, so I would appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,325,140 times
I think your fear of conservative south is a bit over the top.

Tally is one of the great liberal capital cities. We have excellent parks and greenways for biking, and quite the alternative crowd that appreciates different lifestyles.

Of course any where you go there will be people who have to try to be like everyone else and fit a certain lifestyle.

Overall I think you would love living here.

St George island is 1.5 hours away and a beautiful uncrwded beach.

Put in the application!

Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

1,555 posts, read 785,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinklibrary View Post
Greetings all. Currently, I'm living in Sacramento, and I'm drawing to the end of my career, but there is an opportunity to cap it off by applying for a promotion to our office - which is in gov't - in Tallahassee.

I have been to Tallahassee long ago while looking at possible future places that I might be working, and while originally from Iowa, I've lived on the East Coast - Northern and Central Virginia on the 95 corridor - and I lived in Jackson, MS from 99-07. So I'm familiar with the culture of the deep South and panhandle FL, which is much different than the rest of FL (which, quite frankly, having visited South Florida, is not a place I would want to be).

I'm not sure that at this point a move to TLH makes sense in my life cycle except it is a *lot* cheaper, with no state income tax. It would enable me to inflate my retirement savings a wee bit. However, it would also mean ripping up roots I've established here the last 11 years. Being single, and realizing this is a smaller city that's primary a college and gov't center, I am concerned about the size of the dating pool, for one. I have been divorced for 10 years and haven't had a great deal of luck in finding a compatible partner in greater Sacramento that's into a healthy lifestyle - many of the women my age or slightly younger either want a Johnny QB physical type, or if they are interested, look like they've swallowed a wine barrel for breakfast. I don't expect a supermodel but it would be nice to meet someone that's educated, fit and isn't a right wing religious, social or political fanatic (or gulp, all three). I am NOT a West Coast liberal but a fiscally conservative social libertarian.

I am also concerned that even for college towns in the South, quirky - I am a Buddhist, I do yoga, I dislike unhealthy lifestyles, I'm heavily inked, when I'm not at work, I'm wearing a kilt, and I'm a musician that plays bass in jazz and smooth jazz groups. I cycle moderately when I'm not doing yoga.

Housing here is insane, and the crowding and cost of everything is going to just get worse, but, OTOH, I am probably only going to be here another 3-4 years at the most, so I'm going to have to leave sooner or later. It would be nice to be a short drive to a beach that isn't surrounded by a monsterously huge city like the Bay Area and is actually swimmable during the warm months.

I'm looking at rents right now and dropping my jaw at how cheap a modest townhouse would be. I can rent one for the grand plus that one bedrooms appear to be going for here. But remembering my time in Jackson, the cling of social conservatism and anyone that isn't bowing to the Angry Protestant God - yes, I know its a college town, but its still the Deep South - and it doesn't seem wise to move somewhere that you can't be yourself because, well, being ME is frowned upon. LOL

I have until the 25th to put my application in, so I would appreciate any input.
I am from the Pac-12 region and lived in Tallahassee for about 14 years. It is a college town with a major focus on ages 18-22. Outside of that off campus, the state government is the largest employer. The workers and families are typically from the area near the FL Panhandle - mostly southerners of the "Bible Belt". Many of those local descendants of Confederates are very happy in Tallahassee. They celebrate the culture of the south with the flavor of the FL Panhandle. The college students tend to be more diverse - many are from South FL, Central FL or out-of-state. But it is a southern town by and large.

As for dating, the southern lifestyle usually leads to very early marraige. The conservative Bible Belt parishioners typically marry out of college at the latest. Needless to say, the divorce rate in the Deep South (including Tallahassee) is very high - 2nd only to Las Vegas. I have seen that pattern time and again for local FSU graduates. You can see it on the news: Jimbo Fisher and his wife's infidelity (the southern FSU football coach who has since moved to Texas A&M), the story of the FSU worker whose husband died on a "duck hunt" but was alleged to be the victim of a love triangle, or the FSU professor who was alleged to have died at the hands of some conspiracy or sorts traced to his ex-wife. I saw a lot of infidelity at work. It was common for middle-aged male managers to have emotional affairs with the young local college graduate from FSU. It was sleazy at times but also done in deep denial (albeit not so covertly).

As for culture, as noted, Tallahassee is deeply southern. As a brown Catholic from Arizona, I felt out-of-place. Tallahassee is less than 5% Catholic. I don't recall that many Buddhists either or new age religious groups. It was mainly Bible Belt Protestant. A lot of them are nice people. It's just that the culture gap was obvious. A lot of those southern families are truly happy in the FL Panhandle. I can't imagine them living anyplace else. There are deep southern roots along that route 20 and the small southern towns off the Gulf Coast going back many generations. The culture largely revolves around the beach, Protestant religion, college football (mostly FSU in Tallahassee but you can also find SEC graduates there too), tubing, NASCAR, hunting, fishing, boating, three-wheeling, etc. It's the "south".

In general, the dating odds are not very good for the FL Panhandle for those middle-aged and beyond. When I first moved to Tallahassee I was in my early 30s and had many chances to date young college girls. But the maturity gap was large even then. I remember once four drunk college girls from FSU tried to jump into my truck at night near FSU - girls "gone wild". It was about a week after spring break but they were still partying. As I grew older, I did manage to date someone closer to my age who was more compatible. But in general the older, compatible females are hard to meet in Tallahassee and typically, if single, divorced with children.

I would highly recommend Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clermont, Mt. Dora, etc. near Metro Orlando or Tampa off the I-4 corridor. I almost moved there in 2017 from Tallahassee but surprisingly got a job back in my home state of Phoenix. I have been euphoric ever since. Best wishes.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,735 times
Thank you both for your input. I'm sure the college town influence helps moderate being in the Deep South; during the time I visited Tallahassee it reminded me very much of places like Athens (well, maybe not as cool as UGA, which also has close proximity to ATL), or Oxford, MS but on a much larger scale.

I think long-term, the diversity of culture, as well as ethnic and religious diversity in the larger metro area, when you look at the demographics - would be an issue for me, long-term, as well as having a place to play music. As well as a very tiny dating pool.

And politically, the area outside TLH in Florida is just like being in Austin and Texas. That's bad. Austin is great, the rest of Texas sucks. And from Orlando south, Florida is just a mess socially and politically - much like SoCal.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,325,140 times
Grad student is a known troll who comes in voices their displeasure with Tallahassee and talks up how great his or her life is now that they are back in Arizona.

Not everyone’s experience can be encapsulated in their viewpoint.

And not everyone has the same world views.

Oh well.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:52 AM

77 posts, read 40,879 times
FWIW there’s a Kiltmart in Tally so at least your clothing needs will be met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or