Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee16240 View Post
Well, fishing is my forte! Got the flatsboat and the gear. So if I find a place where there is fresh and/or saltwater fishing, then I'd be happy. That's one good thing about being down here in Homestead, FL...I'm close to the keys and the bay and the ocean. This is what I will miss the most. So, I have to find work and a fishing place
What type of work are you looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:29 AM

19 posts, read 220,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What type of work are you looking for?
I am in the elevator trade and in the union and will have to put in for a transfer once I find a place we like. My wife is currently a business analyst and has her bachelor's degree in organizational leadership so she shouldn't have a problem getting a job anywhere we go, if she needs to work at all after we move. Not sure about that yet. So, A) there needs to be work in elevators, B) cost of living has to be much better than where we currently are, plus good neighborhoods and schools, and C) fishing and/or car shows (I have a 67 chevy nova that I am restoring, just did the motor )

Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Well lee, that puts Port St Joe out of the running.
The tallest building here is 3 stories!
You are still welcome to come fish though.
I really do think there is a bright future in northwest Florida.
It's just that our little spot will grow a bit more slowly.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 PM

148 posts, read 604,745 times
Default Tallahassee's future

Could it be that as people keep looking for cities where the cost of living is not as high as where they are from that Tallahassee might get more of the upscale places---restaurants, stores, malls, galleries, etc. that bigger cities already have, as more and more people start moving in?

It is getting to be where all the cities that appeal to a wide range of people---Seattle, WA/Portland, OR/Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC/Austin, TX have been discovered and are now heavily populated and very expensive. Know these are not everyone's ideas of what they want, but several are popular relocation destinations. Austin is affordable in the suburbs, but if you want to live in the older, quaint tree-lined streets near downtown, it is expensive and getting more so as Californians and others move in.

Anyone who likes the trendy urban things who lives in Tallahassee have any thoughts on this happening?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Could it be that as people keep looking for cities where the cost of living is not as high as where they are from that Tallahassee might get more of the upscale places---restaurants, stores, malls, galleries, etc. that bigger cities already have, as more and more people start moving in?

Anyone who likes the trendy urban things who lives in Tallahassee have any thoughts on this happening?
I think that this type of development is already happening in Sunrico's area.
There is a new place called Pier Park (Panama City Beach) which sounds really nice.
The Target already opened, and more upscale places will open in spring 2007.
This is a pdf file:
http://www.simon.com/mall/LeasingSheet/PierPark1204.pdf
If you look on page 8 of the Pier Park site, you can see what they are saying about the Panhandle's future.
Tallahassee is not quite there yet, but it's beginning. There is a really nice subdivision in Tallahassee called Southwood. Check out the photos here:
http://www.southwoodfl.com/Southwood_Tallahassee/default.aspx (broken link)

Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
We are in the process of developing the following:
Navarre Town Center
Navarre Beach Condo Project Photos and Floorplans WOW!!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,520 times
Hi,
I relocated from Baltimore to Tallahassee in 1988. If you love southern charm, canopy roads, white columned government buildings, family and church oriented you'd like it here. For a smaller, older city and the capitol it offers nice restuarants, good hospitals, good colleges, and reasonable prices across the board. There's lots of government, academic, health, technology, private sector employment opportunities. If you love the big city life this is not it - but is very nice - it's a small, big town - and it is clean - not like Jacksonville and other cities. It has flora like Maryland and Virginia, winding hills - and the coast. The coast is pristine - you can get to Panama City in 1 3/14 hours or St. George island which is secluded in 1 1/4. It's traditional, people are pretty polite to the point that you'd be embarrased to beep your horn if someone sat at a light for 30 seconds or more. Check it out on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee