U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 2,041 times

Advertisements

Good morning Everyone.

I have a question for anyone/everyone out there that knows the Tallahassee area.

My wife and I and looking to relocate from California, as we are both from smaller towns/cities around (100K population) and we are just simply tired of the high cost of living in the Western United states and the bigger city life. The traffic and not all but lots of rudeness of people because everyone is so rushed in big cities is just wearing us out!

That said, I traveled through Florida just to check it out in 2017. Began in Tampa, Ocala, Jacksonville and finally Tallahassee. And absolutely fell in love with Tallahassee. People were kind and very hospitable, I loved the perfect mid-size city feel, just big enough to have enough jobs, but not to large that your commute takes forever and using your GPS everywhere you go.. At least it seems?! Would this be accurate?

That said, we are in our recently married in our early 30s and looking to establish a place to call home, raise a family, build roots and find good people and community! Were also big outdoorsy people!

Our biggest concern however...we are slightly afraid of HURRICANES, especially as we know they seem to be getting worst year after year. Does Tallahassee FL get hit hard? Im not worried for normal flooding here and there. I'm more less concerned about roofs flying off or complete houses getting destroyed.

I know the panhandle got hit hard recently, however, since Tallahassee, is not "coastal" per say, right on the beach. But how hard does it get effected? Anyone know of houses getting destroyed and parts of the city just getting destroyed?

Also would it be difficult to find a job? My wife works for the Government County and I in Engineering. However that may change as I am looking into becoming a Real Estate Agent.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM
JAS

581 posts, read 1,834,477 times
I wouldn't stay away from TLH because of hurricanes. The city is not on the gulf, so the risks are more wind-related as opposed to flood-related (as is the case anywhere not literally next the water). Other exceptions would be if you live near a river or flood-prone area, but there are plenty of places not in flood zones in and around TLH.

Having said that, the wind damage can be significant on occasion, let's say once every 10 years on average ... but that is due to the tree coverage in TLH and the damage to structures and power lines from fallen trees and not because of your roof flying off. But I guess either way the damage would not be pleasant.

The hurricane damage in TLH seems to be cyclical. Some damage a couple years in a row, and then nothing for a few years. The significant damage would come from infrequent direct hits to the area or a mega-storm such as Michael a few years ago.

I can't speak about the job situation since I don't currently live there, but the city is government/services-based without a strong large-business presence.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:38 PM

JAS, thank you! I guess that makes sense! I wasn't sure if TLH got the severe flooding and wind damage as well I guess than Panama City did during Hurricane Michael.

That doesn't sound as bad! Again, we could totally deal with flooding streets here and there and a few power lines broken and without electric for a few days or so.

I guess our concern would be relocating, buying a house settling in for a few years, than ultimately loosing our house (or left with a unlivable destroyed house) because of a Hurricane and who knows if insurance would cover it?! And perhaps then be forced to move back on the SouthWest.

However, our encouragement is that we know tons and tons of people still choose Florida as a place to call home. But it's just all these Hurricanes that are happening and we wonder, are everyone who is in florida starting to look to move out as the years go by? Us not knowing what people are saying. We would hate to move and crowds and crowds of people are looking to do the opposite.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 AM

249 posts, read 105,203 times
I don't live near Talahassee but I do live further southwest in coastal Florida. My advice would be to buy a home that's been built in the last ten years preferably a cement block constructed home. The building code has changed over the years and many older homes aren't built to as strict of a code. We have a 20 year old home, though, and its built well so it is possible to find a well constructed older home. We put hurricane accordion type shutters on our windows and have motorized fabric curtains on our lanai. I'd also advise you to have a home with a hip type roof with little overhang. If you can keep your roof on during a hurricane you are miles ahead in avoiding major damage. I think previous posters mentioned flooding so I'd agree with them and say to avoid flood prone areas. Most people die from flood related problems rather than wind but wind can cause a lot of damage. I came to florida from a tornado prone area and I always feared those more. Florida does have tornados but they have been minor in my area. Good luck to you. I don't blame you for leaving California.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM

547 posts, read 583,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLB View Post
JAS, thank you! I guess that makes sense! I wasn't sure if TLH got the severe flooding and wind damage as well I guess than Panama City did during Hurricane Michael.

That doesn't sound as bad! Again, we could totally deal with flooding streets here and there and a few power lines broken and without electric for a few days or so.

I guess our concern would be relocating, buying a house settling in for a few years, than ultimately loosing our house (or left with a unlivable destroyed house) because of a Hurricane and who knows if insurance would cover it?! And perhaps then be forced to move back on the SouthWest.

However, our encouragement is that we know tons and tons of people still choose Florida as a place to call home. But it's just all these Hurricanes that are happening and we wonder, are everyone who is in florida starting to look to move out as the years go by? Us not knowing what people are saying. We would hate to move and crowds and crowds of people are looking to do the opposite.
The biggest risk in TLH if a hurricane hits, is a tree falling on your house. I absolutely love all the beautiful live oaks around here, and my house is surrounded by them, but it is a little scary when there are high winds. You can buy a house without large trees on the lot
Hurricanes are not a big concern here.

There is no mass exodus out of north Florida. I meet a lot of people who have moved here from south Florida and they absolutely love it. I have lived all over Florida, and north Florida is by far my favorite.

I do not know about the job situation, as I am retired.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:26 PM
TD*

1,572 posts, read 3,324,111 times
Yea Tallahassee is the best city in Florida for sure. Don’t worry about hurricanes, this is a great place to live for families with a high quality of life and plenty of very nice parks and greenways to explore.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:27 PM
TD*

There are a ton of jobs for engineers here, you won’t have a problem finding work as an engineer or in government.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
The biggest risk in TLH if a hurricane hits, is a tree falling on your house. I absolutely love all the beautiful live oaks around here, and my house is surrounded by them, but it is a little scary when there are high winds. You can buy a house without large trees on the lot
Hurricanes are not a big concern here.

There is no mass exodus out of north Florida. I meet a lot of people who have moved here from south Florida and they absolutely love it. I have lived all over Florida, and north Florida is by far my favorite.

I do not know about the job situation, as I am retired.

This is amazing feedback!! Thank you so much for sharing!! Does Tallahassee have the same feel as suburbs of Jacksonville? Have you lived in Jacksonville? I heard that Orange Park in those areas are also nice?! Does it compare?

I was just thinking for jobs, especially relocating across the country maybe easier to find work.

Either way, your feedback gives us great hope!!

Old 04-14-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Yea Tallahassee is the best city in Florida for sure. Don’t worry about hurricanes, this is a great place to live for families with a high quality of life and plenty of very nice parks and greenways to explore.

Thats excellent!! Yes, I need the outdoors.. and I've heard that the parks are in abundance! So totally good!!

Do you know if there is consistent construction and development in any parts of city or suburbs? Just wondering how the city is growing etc.

As for greenways.. I'm all about some good trails and hiking! Is there lots to offer there?
We studied NW Arkansas a little a few years back and that is why were so attracted to it.. it had 50-100 miles of trails in neighborhoods and in the woods. However... the consistent gloomy overcast, lack of sunshine and rain made us re-think it.

On that note, how is the weather there generally speaking... I know its cooler than South Florida, however, is it as sunny? Does it just have the tropical rain showers that come and go quickly? Or do you see rain for days if not weeks in a row without sun also?

Thanks!!

Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 PM
TD*

Yea the city is growing consistently. Weather is generally sunny, but we do get some afternoon rainstorms in the summer:

It’s also nice we get a hint of fall and spring up here, it’s not 4 seasons of summer. The terrain is very hilly which is nice for everything including hiking/biking and freshwater springs are in abundance for swimming snorkeling and kayaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee