Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 05:55 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
But LKJ . . . RAIN is what is missing in your LIFE, Then why not ? ? ?
You still get more where you live VS tally sally on avg. The west coast just does not get much rain anymore in the summer with a west flow bro. I would much rather be in Glades county than tally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 01:41 PM

226 posts, read 214,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t live in Tallahassee anymore but lived there for about 3 years. One thing you might want to think about living there is that allergies are absolutely horrible. I’ve lived in several areas of Florida (from Tampa, also lived in the Jax area) and had more people taking sick days from allergies than I’ve had anywhere else. People would have trouble opening their eyes due to gunk and have other issues. Even people who don’t have allergies normally found that they have allergic issues there. It is something to consider.

I don’t particularly like it there because I like more to do, but it is very pretty and affordable. The allergies are the only issue I’d urge everyone to consider.
If that is the worst thing about it then I will be okay. I lived in the Atlanta area for 20+ years and the pollen season there is horrendous, so anywhere else is a cake-walk compared to it.

I think I will have to get up there and take a look around sometime soon!

Old 05-19-2021, 04:01 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Yes I think you will love the area. See you soon.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:00 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
With a decent income, it is a fairly easy place to live -- traffic only in the usual times and locations. Housing is relatively affordable, although many neighborhoods are quite scruffy. Hot and cold, and rainy, weather wise, but lots of greenery and open spaces. Isolated is an understatement.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:15 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
I currently live on the Treasure coast and I like it here but I am considering moving north now while I am still young enough (low 60s) to handle the move. My sister lives in GA and we would see each other more if it weren't a 10 hour drive.
What can you all tell me about living in north Tallahassee? I don't need a lot of entertainment, just a few restaurants, and close proximity to supermarkets and Lowes. I like the 'burbs, not too city and not too country.
Those of you who live or have lived in the area, please share your thoughts with me. Thanks.
It sounds like you want to be closer to your sister while still living in FL. Tallahassee has a lot of retirees. May state employees continue to live in Tallahassee after they retire. They are people who have raised families, put in their 30+ years at the state, and gotten the pension. With multi-generational roots and long-term community interactions, many seem comfortable. Albeit inland, the Gulf beaches are within driving distance. Panama City Beach is about 2.5 hours away. The other beaches like Destin (which my girlfriend used ot like) and Pensacola are not that far either. But could you handle being more inland? If not, Ponte Vedra might be a better choice in Jacksonville.

The one advantage Tallahassee has in my opinion (for Floridians who are comfortable in the area) would be low-priced homes of high quality in nice neighborhoods. I moved back to Phoenix and homes where I live now are about 700,000+ where buyers must put a 100,000+ down and waive inspections just to be considered. It's crazy out here for housing. I can't even afford one. By contrast, I had a house in Tallahassee with 1400+ square feet and 3 big rooms and two baths. Tallahassee does have affordability of quality homes. It was just that my family roots are in firmly in AZ. I was an outsider in Tallahassee. But for you it may be different.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:25 PM

120 posts, read 73,789 times
I been around Tallahassee for 5 years on and off now for school and during covid. Here is what your asking for.

Good
Low cost of living. Has most of the major chain stores. Has a decent winter compared to South Florida. FSU and FAMU bring in a decent amount of culture and educated people to the area. People are generally polite. Lots of nice green trees. Not as at risk for hurricanes compared to the rest of Florida due to being inland. Lots of good lawyers in town if you need legal help.

Bad
Similar to the rest of the south, lots of passive aggressiveness. Summer is horrible since its so hot that going outside really sucks. Is still missing some major chains like Wawa, Apple Store, etc. A beach is an hour away while a decent beach (Jax) is 2 1/2 hours. Isnt located to any othe major cities. Health care is pretty crappy.

Ugly
Very poor city due to the lack of a competitive economy. Only low paying government jobs and jobs at universities exist here. Standard of living is pretty low. Not really alot of potential for future growth. Downtown is pretty depressing since nothing really exist out there. Town caters to mostly college students who age 18 to 21. FSU is not an elite university (as someone who went there, its mostly a party college). Florida government is draconian and doesnt care at all about the people (more of a Florida problem but living in Tallahassee you notice it more).

For your situation Tallahassee sounds fine. If you have family in the area, you will be ok with it. I dont really have any ties to the city and plan on moving out by next year. Its not the greatest city but I been to much worse towns. Just find a safe neighborhood and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee