Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 11,178 times

Advertisements

We've moved quite a bit. We've lived outside Seattle, outside Charleston, and all over Indiana, and (most recently) in Pennsylvania. Husband was military years ago when we were young. We're lookin' to move again, but this time we have to stay planted for the kids' sake. While we love the hills of Pennsylvania, our area is waaaaay too rural. There is nothing to do. At all. Covid or not, kind of nothing. We weren't going to move again, but we are all miserable here for many reasons.

We aren't some big outdoor kind of people. My husband and I take walks daily (light rain or shine, and even in winter), we take lengthy family bike rides (two kids: 16, 12). Our youngest is into archery and horseback riding, and sometimes soccer, while the oldest is into tennis, volleyball, and blacksmithing (though it is often impossible to find volleyball for boys, so that's not a deal-breaker). We enjoy bookstores and "antique" shops.

Hunting and fishing aren't our thing. We very rarely hike. My husband's hobbies are mostly indoor. Mine are too, though I do love putzing around in the yard (veggie and flower gardening). I wouldn't mind getting involved in community theater. My husband and I used to love taking dance lessons (peppier stuff like WCS), but that's not a thing where we are now either.

I'm a heck of a cook and baker, so I need to be able to find a variety of food to keep me entertained (since I play with my food). I can't even find full-fat liquid buttermilk where I am now! We love being able to walk or bike to restaurants or things to do (outdoor seating now only). We don't even have options in the town we are in now.

We are, however, ready to live somewhere a bit more like-minded. We are open-minded and liberal. Tallahassee (and Florida in general) concern me. Job opps are calling, but we are torn. We want to make friends and for our kids to make friends. We would like like-minded friends for a change. Extended family isn't a consideration.

Our kids need a good school system as they are high ability. They are both engineering-minded and creative. Our youngest has a 10th grade reading level and is bored silly in classes where kids didn't know the meaning of the words "dictate" or "misery." They are extroverted and get involved in school activities.

We've done tornadoes and tropical storms, but that's it. We haven't been through a hurricane.

I'm concerned we will be bored again.

We've lived in small towns before, and have loved some of them. But, I don't think that will be a fit for us moving forward.

We wear masks. We want a school system that understands their importance (so Florida does make us nervous as a whole). It seems like we'd need to look at NE Tallahassee maybe for a good school system? At least, according to Great Schools.

We don't shop Walmart. Ever.

It would be a bit of a commute for my husband though (we're talking an hour commute from the NE side) and a lengthy commute is something we had originally put on our list of "things we don't want."

Do we stick with PA, but move to a city suburb? But...warmer weather, not having to deal with winter, and easy access to beaches is appealing. Then I wonder how our son could keep up his blacksmithing with the heat.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 07:07 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
In spite of the common misconception, Florida has no restrictions on masking your children in school. They are free to wear masks.

While Tallahassee does have some public schools that are good by Florida standards, Florida public schools in general are sub-par and I can't imagine they'd be comparable to what you already have in Pennsylvania.

Tallahassee is very "crunchy" and left-leaning. You will fit in fine in that regard.

Hurricanes are also extremely uncommon in that part of Florida, especially as far inland as Tallahassee.

Where is the job that would require a 1-hour commute from Tallahassee's NE side?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:18 AM

Oh, I mean we want schools where masking is mandatory. Where it isn't an option.

In a small town near the coast.

Thank you!

Old 10-12-2021, 08:01 AM

54 posts, read 57,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWriteLife View Post
Oh, I mean we want schools where masking is mandatory. Where it isn't an option.

In a small town near the coast.

Thank you!
Masks are mandatory in K-8 in Tallahassee until the end of October. An extension of the mandate depends on how the numbers look despite the idiocracy of the current governor that has made every attempt to oppose/block mandates.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:32 AM

I did see that. Just stating what we want in a school so outside Tallahassee schools may not be such a fit.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:24 AM

54 posts, read 57,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWriteLife View Post
We've moved quite a bit. We've lived outside Seattle, outside Charleston, and all over Indiana, and (most recently) in Pennsylvania. Husband was military years ago when we were young. We're lookin' to move again, but this time we have to stay planted for the kids' sake. While we love the hills of Pennsylvania, our area is waaaaay too rural. There is nothing to do. At all. Covid or not, kind of nothing. We weren't going to move again, but we are all miserable here for many reasons.

We aren't some big outdoor kind of people. My husband and I take walks daily (light rain or shine, and even in winter), we take lengthy family bike rides (two kids: 16, 12). Our youngest is into archery and horseback riding, and sometimes soccer, while the oldest is into tennis, volleyball, and blacksmithing (though it is often impossible to find volleyball for boys, so that's not a deal-breaker). We enjoy bookstores and "antique" shops.

Hunting and fishing aren't our thing. We very rarely hike. My husband's hobbies are mostly indoor. Mine are too, though I do love putzing around in the yard (veggie and flower gardening). I wouldn't mind getting involved in community theater. My husband and I used to love taking dance lessons (peppier stuff like WCS), but that's not a thing where we are now either.

I'm a heck of a cook and baker, so I need to be able to find a variety of food to keep me entertained (since I play with my food). I can't even find full-fat liquid buttermilk where I am now! We love being able to walk or bike to restaurants or things to do (outdoor seating now only). We don't even have options in the town we are in now.

We are, however, ready to live somewhere a bit more like-minded. We are open-minded and liberal. Tallahassee (and Florida in general) concern me. Job opps are calling, but we are torn. We want to make friends and for our kids to make friends. We would like like-minded friends for a change. Extended family isn't a consideration.

Our kids need a good school system as they are high ability. They are both engineering-minded and creative. Our youngest has a 10th grade reading level and is bored silly in classes where kids didn't know the meaning of the words "dictate" or "misery." They are extroverted and get involved in school activities.

We've done tornadoes and tropical storms, but that's it. We haven't been through a hurricane.

I'm concerned we will be bored again.

We've lived in small towns before, and have loved some of them. But, I don't think that will be a fit for us moving forward.

We wear masks. We want a school system that understands their importance (so Florida does make us nervous as a whole). It seems like we'd need to look at NE Tallahassee maybe for a good school system? At least, according to Great Schools.

We don't shop Walmart. Ever.

It would be a bit of a commute for my husband though (we're talking an hour commute from the NE side) and a lengthy commute is something we had originally put on our list of "things we don't want."

Do we stick with PA, but move to a city suburb? But...warmer weather, not having to deal with winter, and easy access to beaches is appealing. Then I wonder how our son could keep up his blacksmithing with the heat.

Thoughts?
Is there any way that your and your family could visit Tallahassee? If so, it would be best to visit after football season to get a feel for how slow the city really is. Sight unseen and recommendations City Data is dangerous. Don't me wrong. Tallahassee is not a bad option when compared to other places in Florida especially given the criteria you mentioned. You may want to make sure there's no potential for boredom once the novelty of being in a new environment wears off.

There are plenty of rolling hills, trees are plentiful everywhere and open spaces for horse back riding. Although the summers are quite humid, you will get use to it if you choose to move and unlike most of Florida, it does tend to get cooler, sometimes quite cold in the winter months so blacksmithing should not be a problem.

NE Tallahassee does indeed have great schools. I will also point out that if you are open to it, you may want to check out Maclay School or North Florida Christian if you're open to viable public school alternatives.

No Walmarts, CHECK!

The commute time really depends on when your husband has to venture to the coast. I will say that once he leaves Tallahassee, the commute will be on a 2-lane road. However, most of the traffic will be heading north into the city so baring any accidents, traffic should not be an issue heading south.

You also mentioned community theatre. Please check out the Theatre Tallahassee (aka Tallahassee Little Theatre when I used to live there).

Cycling in and around the city is also available. There is Tom Brown Park's Magnolia biking Trail on the east side, Cascade Park downtown which also has an outdoor amphitheater and host many events just to name a few. here is map of trails in and around town.

Lastly, there are plenty of market options to satisfy your cooking needs. I've never looked for full-fat liquid buttermilk but I'm pretty sure you can find it in Tallahassee.

I hope this helps you on your journey. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2021, 09:34 AM

Yeah, the novelty wearing off part is a concern. Haha Thanks for the links. We will likely only go down for a fast house hunt. Too hard with school in session.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2021, 04:54 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Sound like Tallahassee would be perfect for your family. North East Tallahassee, Buck Lake area or Southwood. Also check out midtown (if you can afford it). Quality of life is very high in tally.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:50 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
As far as beaches go, keep in mind that the nearest decent beach to Tallahassee is St. George Island - about an 1:45 drive.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:56 PM

Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: