Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 27,903 times

Advertisements

We are looking to possibly move to the Panhandle area or maybe southern Alabama for my husband's work. Any recommendations on more rural or country areas away from the bigger cities or built up areas. We live in Houston now and are tired of the big city. Also how is the real estate market in either of those area? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 01:06 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Just my opinion, some of the best small towns in the region are:

On the Alabama side:
Andalusia
Florala
Atmore

On the Florida side:
Marianna
DeFuniak Springs

To help narrow it down, what kind of amenities do you want to be near? Where will your husband be working?

In Florida, the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive the real estate will be. Inland areas are still relatively affordable, though of course EVERYTHING has gone up everywhere.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:36 AM

11 posts, read 27,903 times
My husband is in sales. His territory would be Southern Mississippi, Alabama, the Panhandle and little of southern Georgia. We have lived in Houston TX for about 10 years, but are originally from Maine. We have also lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania. We both enjoy the beach and woods/lakes, but living near the beach isn't a must. Starting in July the plan is for him is to work two weeks in Houston and the other two weeks there. His boss is paying for us to rent a house for a year, so that should give us time to find a house we like and hopefully sell our house here.

Some of what we want:

Quiet area/Neighborhood/No HOA
Yard big enough to have a garden and maybe a few chickens.
Access to grocery store in area
Other stores/shopping such as Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Malls, Restaurants, Museums and Movie Theaters willing to travel 30 min to 1 hour away or more.

I'm sure there are more things I will eventually think of.

Thank you for your help!

Old 04-18-2023, 10:06 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballrmdanz777 View Post
Some of what we want:

Quiet area/Neighborhood/No HOA
Yard big enough to have a garden and maybe a few chickens.
Access to grocery store in area
Other stores/shopping such as Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Malls, Restaurants, Museums and Movie Theaters willing to travel 30 min to 1 hour away or more.

I'm sure there are more things I will eventually think of.

Thank you for your help!
Those amenities are only available in Tallahassee, Pensacola, and to some degree in Destin/Fort Walton Beach - so you'll need to be within 30 mins to an hour of either of those 3 metros.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The Whole Foods in Mobile closed last year- we were in Mobile to do Global Entry interviews and had planned on picking up a couple of sandwiches there only to discover an empty store when we got there.

I’d look at Tallahassee- a few miles out of town it gets pretty rural, it has all the amenities on your list and it also doesn’t have the varying levels of dislike of outsiders you get in the more solidly rural parts of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee