Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 10:22 AM

63 posts, read 55,184 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does Tallahassee seem like a cutthroat market for local businesses? I've known more people than I can count on both hands who've taken out a business loan to set up shop somewhere in town and didn't make it through a year. The city doesn't seem to have been doing anything to ensure business longevity, and there's an absence of foot traffic, registered neighborhood organizations, and so on that are doing much to keep businesses alive beyond their toddler years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 08:11 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliEverIsAHero View Post
Is it just me or does Tallahassee seem like a cutthroat market for local businesses? I've known more people than I can count on both hands who've taken out a business loan to set up shop somewhere in town and didn't make it through a year. The city doesn't seem to have been doing anything to ensure business longevity, and there's an absence of foot traffic, registered neighborhood organizations, and so on that are doing much to keep businesses alive beyond their toddler years.
Most businesses don't make it past a couple years. No matter where you're.

Old 02-06-2024, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 55,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Most businesses don't make it past a couple years. No matter where you're.
This has not been my experience in Pittsburgh, PA or Portland, OR. Nor has this been my experience in small Florida towns (there is a long-running pub in Inverness, FL called Coach's that I believe has been there since the 1980s or so).

Old 02-08-2024, 10:13 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
This has not been my experience in Pittsburgh, PA or Portland, OR. Nor has this been my experience in small Florida towns (there is a long-running pub in Inverness, FL called Coach's that I believe has been there since the 1980s or so).
Maybe because places like Pitts, Portland are older, established cities? Inverness is a small town, which if the Pub has good service, the locals will comeback and be loyal. less competition in small places like that.

Here in FL you see businesses going in and out all the time. Especially retail strip malls. Even newer ones are ghost towns. They'll bring in new tenants and then within a year or two they're gone.

Cape Coral they keep building more small strip malls. yet yesterday when I was driving down the road in Cape I saw countless vacant store fronts in stripmalls that are modern, not some 40 year old POS stripmall.

Same with restaurants. Very hard to start one these days. Here in SWFL it's all big chain restaurants with multiple locations.

Tired of chain places.

Eventually most of Florida will be like Orlando. Commercialized, no small business all large chains.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:44 AM

179 posts, read 137,779 times
Quote:
Maybe because places like Pitts, Portland are older, established cities? Inverness is a small town, which if the Pub has good service, the locals will comeback and be loyal. less competition in small places like that.

Here in FL you see businesses going in and out all the time. Especially retail strip malls. Even newer ones are ghost towns. They'll bring in new tenants and then within a year or two they're gone.

Cape Coral they keep building more small strip malls. yet yesterday when I was driving down the road in Cape I saw countless vacant store fronts in stripmalls that are modern, not some 40 year old POS stripmall.

Same with restaurants. Very hard to start one these days. Here in SWFL it's all big chain restaurants with multiple locations.

Tired of chain places.

Eventually most of Florida will be like Orlando. Commercialized, no small business all large chains.
south florida is all chains. Who else can pay the exhorbitant rent here?

Old 02-19-2024, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
Quote:
Like you, I've seen many Tallahassee businesses come and go over the past 20 years. As for cutthroat, it's never that; also, it's not the city's job to help businesses grow; that's the business owner's responsibility. I will agree the first, third, fifth, and tenth years in business are the milestones a company must reach to consider themselves successful.

What I have witnessed time and time again is business owners will open a location, and it doesn't matter the industry they serve, i.e., retail, restaurant, home services, etc., they prefer to sit back and wait for business to arrive instead of proactively marketing their company to local residents and business owners.

Those who do typically see a surge in business right away, and for whatever reason, they pull back the reins and put their marketing on hold because they reached their business goal, not realizing they must keep promoting or lose future business. For instance, there was a business here in town that hired me to help them boost their business because they had seen a decline in new or repeat business.

They wanted a 20-30% increase in new business within 4-6 months. I was able to generate 42%. Then, the owner stopped all marketing because he was getting more business than he could handle. He had not anticipated any growth because, in his industry, it's uncommon to see fast growth. As a result of halting any marketing, his business quickly declined, and he eventually left the county.

Now, take Jason's Deli on the parkway. My son is one of the managers and loves going door to door and handing out catering menus the corporate office provides. As a result of his nonstop promotion, the deli continues to get more and more catering orders every week.

He's told me countless stories of meeting business owners who did not know Jason's offered catering, and due to his diligence, these individuals become new customers. In turn, those guests tell others who then show up at the deli and should they meet my son, John, are given catering menus to take with them, and the cycle continues.

Having been in business for 30+ years, I discovered long ago that you must constantly keep marketing your business if you want new or repeat business. Once a patron, customer, or client gets what they want or need from any business, they move on, and that is why we business owners must continue getting the word out about our products and services.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:58 AM

95 posts, read 83,368 times
Quote:

Tired of chain places.

Orlando has thousands of small businesses, do you only visit the theme park tourist area? or the actual city?

Old 02-29-2024, 10:09 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
This isn’t entirely true - I live in South Florida, but I’m in Tally at least twice a year as my wife and her family are from there.

South Florida has both an affluent customer base and customer base who is willing to spend money they may or may not have…either way that’s great for business. Simply put, the discretionary spending allows big chains, mom & pops, and specialty stores to all thrive.

Tallahassee in contrast doesn’t benefit from this mindset - this is especially noticed when the college students leave for break(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
south florida is all chains. Who else can pay the exhorbitant rent here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee