Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,454 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from anyone with views/opinions on living in Tallahassee.
We are currently Orlando residents who have had it with the urban sprawl, traffic congestion, and limited vairation in weather ( hot and hotter ).
Tallahassee seems like a more laid back town without the overcrowding.
I don't need to worry about schools or job availability since we will be retired next year. We used to live in North Carolina and loved the changing seasons, without the extremes. It was also nice to see something besides flaaaaaat land all the time. You never know what you'll miss until you don't have it. I do like the fact that Florida doesn't have a state income tax so we will try to stay here if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 09:17 AM

37 posts, read 187,451 times
Hi fredz3fla, I lived in Tallahassee for 3 years before moving down to south Florida. Tallahassee really is a great city...it is a college town though because of FSU, but it really is a great city to raise a family in. The people are very friendly and the weather doesn't get as hot as it does more south. I found renting prices much cheaper in Tallahassee if you are looking to rent. There is a great feel for family in this city and there is lots to do. There are many parks including Maclay Gardens and Wakulla Springs which are beautiful areas to relax and enjoy nature. There is a beautiful small lake in the midst of the city called Lake Ella: there are ducks on this lake and it's nice to go walking around it. Also St.George Island is beautiful and it's like a 45 minute drive...i hope this info helps you in your decision

Old 09-15-2006, 12:50 PM

34 posts, read 35,191 times
Tally is alright. It feels more like Georgia than it does Florida to me. The climate is a little cooler. It's full of stripe malls and hot cement.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz3fla View Post
We are currently Orlando residents who have had it with the urban sprawl, traffic congestion, and limited vairation in weather ( hot and hotter ).
I don't need to worry about schools or job availability since we will be retired next year. We used to live in North Carolina and loved the changing seasons, without the extremes. It was also nice to see something besides flaaaaaat land all the time. You never know what you'll miss until you don't have it. I do like the fact that Florida doesn't have a state income tax so we will try to stay here if possible.
I think you would like Tallahassee. I moved here from Tampa 21 years ago and never thought to move away. We have seasons (it was 27 degrees this week), but it doesn't get too cold for too long. We also have trees and hills and a lot of park/green space in the city.

There isn't really urban sprawl too much, but because of the funky road system, traffic can be...interesting. It takes time to learn your way around and where the real shortcuts are. The local culture is probably very similar to what you experienced in North Carolina.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM

10 posts, read 12,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz3fla View Post

--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** PS pull up the demographics VIA the census .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee