U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM

74 posts, read 389,143 times

Advertisements

Good evening to everyone! I am looking at taking a job with the State of Florida in Tallahassee but I do not know anything about the area. Since it is so close to Alabama/Georgia, I suppose it would have a definite "redneck" feel about it (no insult intended). I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a short time and really did not like the tons of people on the beach and the roads and they were not very nice! Always in a hurry to get to the next red light. Anyway, is there much to do in the area? Golf, hiking, etc.? or is it just a bunch of pine trees? How far to a decent beach? Since it is a college town, apartments are probably pretty numerous? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 PM

37 posts, read 178,718 times
Hey JSGOOFN,

I lived in Tallahassee for 3 years and I thought it was a great place to live. It is a college town because of FSU, so yes there are many apartments and there is lots to do if you like the outdoors. There is Maclay Gardens which is a state park with room for hiking, swimming, and boating. The closest beach is St. George Island which is about a 50 minute drive, but it is worth it especially when you cross the beautiful bridge. There is a beautiful lake with a jogging/dog walking path and it's a great place to go relax or throw a football around: it's called Lake Ella. There are also many museums and there is nightlife because Tally is a college town. People in Tally are very friendly: the Southern hospitality thing Good luck to you whereever you move to

Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

33 posts, read 336,668 times
Post Tally

I live in the Tallahassee area now and when I was younger. I am from Atl Georgia, moved back to this area from Tennessee a year ago. It's not like central and south FL regarding traffic unless it's a game or a big event, which is good; but watch out on Tennessee ST, and the Parkway during game time. Tallahassee is a college town, from my experience it's hard to find a good apartment for the buck(Central and East FL apartments are better for the buck), and most things are based on the college life. I would suggest finding a surrounding area to live and commute to work, or way way I mean way from all of the colleges. It's a nice city, but if you are going to college or under 30 it's kind of hard to be taken seriously; because people in their 20's and 30's mostly come here and get their degrees and leave .

There are a lot of things to do in Tally from the arts, family outings, concerts of all genres, Springtime Tallahassee, downtown events, shopping to historcial sites. Beaches are about 30 to 50 mins away including St.Marks, Apalachicola beaches are close by as well about 45mins away;as well as Northern Central Fla beaches . Other places for things to do Panama City, Jacksonville, places in GA/AL are close by.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM

. O'yea we get tornadoes, lightning, and hurricanes too, just to warn ya.
It's somewhat like most FLa cities with a few hills and somewhat of a southern feel; but with palm trees here and there, swamps, lakes,sinkholes, snakes, gators, palmetto roaches, lizards etc It's still cool. Beaches are about 30 to 50 mins away including St.Marks, Apalachicola beaches are close by as well about 45mins away;as well as Northern Central Fla beaches . Other places for things to do Panama City, Jacksonville, places in GA/AL are close by. This area is like south Ga/AL/ and mostly FLa terrain combine in one, even in south GA/AL, the terrain is the same more like FLa. Thats the run down. lol

A tour

capitol

I-10 Tally

Thomasville RD.
http://i11.tinypic.com/3yfnrsz.jpg (broken link)
Downtown

Tally looking North

Lake Jackson

Wakulla Springs southeast of Tally

Last edited by whereisthegoodstuff; 01-12-2007 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvflorida View Post
Hey JSGOOFN,

I lived in Tallahassee for 3 years and I thought it was a great place to live. It is a college town because of FSU, so yes there are many apartments and there is lots to do if you like the outdoors. There is Maclay Gardens which is a state park with room for hiking, swimming, and boating. The closest beach is St. George Island which is about a 50 minute drive, but it is worth it especially when you cross the beautiful bridge. There is a beautiful lake with a jogging/dog walking path and it's a great place to go relax or throw a football around: it's called Lake Ella. There are also many museums and there is nightlife because Tally is a college town. People in Tally are very friendly: the Southern hospitality thing Good luck to you whereever you move to
http://i12.tinypic.com/4dlvehl.gif (broken link)
Lake Ella, sometimes they have a live band playing new age, native, tribe, jamacian music at the lake very relaxing. Look out for the ducks,gooses crossing the road and they came up to you for food.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,849,039 times
Thanks for posting the picture of Wakulla Springs. I haven't made it there, yet....now I know where I want to go the next time I get a weekend away!!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 PM

No prob, Wakulla Springs is a nice hidden spot 15-20mins south of Tallahassee. It's just one of those hidden places in this area there is a website regarding the events at Wakulla Springs, adult boat rides are like 6 dollars here's the websitehttp://www.floridastateparks.org/wakullasprings/Events.cfm,
and Apalachicola National Forest is actually near by.http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/panhandleeast/trails/apalachicola.htm not as relaxing and fun as Wakulla Springs it's more on the nature side.

Last edited by whereisthegoodstuff; 01-12-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 PM

My Bad that's not Thomasville Rd it's Capital Cir NE. about to merge onto Thomasville Rd under the flyover.

Moderator cut: duplicate

Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 PM

37 posts, read 178,718 times
Thanks for that great pic of Lake Ella, whereisthegoodstuff...i really miss watching the ducks...lol, i had names for all of them and yes u do have to watch out, they will come up to u and snatch food

Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 PM

lol, yea we feed them to, they are there without a care in the world even around dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee