Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 AM

168 posts, read 763,629 times

Advertisements

yeah, i agree - i think tally will continue to grow but i can't picture it as a wild and wooly sprawling metro area like jax. that may have something to do with the fact it is the seat of state gov't or simply, where it's located.

btw, my aunt used to work as secretary to the father of bob graham when he ran graham's dairy in miami. i believe this was during WWII. when the father became state senator of florida he wanted my aunt to be his secretary in tally but by then she was dating someone prominent in miami and wouldn't go. she remembered the graham kids - including bob - because they were always at the dairy.

bob graham is great guy; met him once or twice myself as an adult.

(oh, and cil....yes, the pacific wow - so cold. i got so used to the warm atlantic that i didn't realize how very cold the pacific could be. no way i swim in it! you were very brave!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM

148 posts, read 605,234 times
Default tallahassee's future

Thanks, hereinfla, for giving me your assessment of Tallahassee's growth. Kind of what I have thought myself.

Have thought that the street grid put in for downtown when the city was first formed probably pretty much determines the potential or lack of for a true metropolitan flavor. But some places can do a lot with a limited number of streets, so never know.

I guess all I am hoping for is that it increases more of the things already there that I like more and more as time goes on.

Liked hearing that Tallahassee has a nice blend of 'Birkenstocks and wingtips'...that's a good sign.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,435,560 times
Hello,

I currently live in Tallahassee and am somewhat familiar with the Killeran Lakes area. Apparently, it's a good time to buy up in that area because there are a lot of home offerings. The "Killearn" area of Tallahassee is one of the more desirable locations to live, and it is in the extreme North/Northeast portion of the City. The Eastern part of the city in general is the safer, cleaner side of city, more removed from the Western University side and "wrong side of the tracks" industrial portion.

Whereabouts will your job be located in the city? Traffic CAN be VERY bad at certain times of the day, especially at rush hour, so be careful where you move if commuting is an issue for you! Killearn is a bit of a drive.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Tallahassee neighborhoods

Hi TriMT7,

Is Indianhead area considered safe?

Also, the Midtown area?

Have gotten familiar with Tallahassee and like those 2 areas, but always good to get feedback.

Camelot area is supposed to be more affordable and safe, I think. (It is liveable looking to me...).

Saw parts of Killearn area and liked the older section off of Centreville Road---bigger lots for homes built before the zero lot craze took hold.

Myers Park was beautiful to me---older, richer area of town, I think.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,473,644 times
Is Tallahassee considered to be in a hurricane zone where property insurance is concerned?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,232,188 times
roarong-rox-

Indianhead is nice and great proximity to the downtown. A friend has lived there for years and loves it. Other close-in neighborhoods that are nice- Waverly, Meyers & Lafayette Parks, Betton and Brandt Hills. Town & Country-off north Monroe just inside I-10 is nice and a little less pricey, but I don't know about school zones there. Nice neighborhood just north of town up Meridian Road, inside I-10- don't remember the name.

When you go, find a good Realtor and let him/her show you around. There are many nice neighborhoods, but you'll never find them all without someone who has been there a while.

My 2 cents- make sure you find a realtor who has been in the business for a while, as with most professions, there are more mediocre than good, but a good one is well worth it.

I'm getting excited for you!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Default thanks, hereinfla!

Thank you, hereinfla, that was helpful!

Not sure where I which city I will end up in, but Tallahassee is on my list.

Had noticed Betton area too when I was visiting and liked the feel of that area and convenient location.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Default hurricane zones

Jammie,

Not sure about the hurricane zone status, but do know that the homeowners' insurance in Tallahassee is a lot lower than what it is in Pasco, and Hernando counties in central Florida.

From what I have heard, Tallahassee is not completely protected from hurricanes, but they have a ridge and higher elevation that makes flooding less of an issue for them.

Oh, just looked at a State of Florida Wind-Borne Debris Region map I printed off the Internet a while back---it has Leon County just outside the 110 mph area. The highest areas on this map are listed at 130 mph on the coastal regions.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,134 times
Exclamation Tallahassee Police Corruption and Poverty

The oldest police department in the southeast and 3rd oldest in the nation, it often encounters friction with lower-class. Poverty rates in Tallahassee are above average, twice the fraction of the population than the poverty in Manhattan (national census). From my experience living just west of the downtown area, I have noticed unsettling poverty in several regions, including many homeless citizens around the Gaines St. area close to the Railroad Square Art Park. I am uncomfortable stating specific instances of corruption, but you don't have to take my word for it. From my five years of experience in Tallahassee, I noticed a tremendous and escalating amount of fear and animosity towards police instilled in several of these reasons. Take note that the least document crimes are those committed by officers, and take note that if you are a minority, it is probable that you will experience racism and misjudgement as a vast array of others have. If you choose to live in Kilearn, you will not have a similar experience with police as this is an upper-middleclass/elite region. Observations of disparities between differing socioeconomic statuses in this town are clear (if you walk around), and this--in combination with frequently provocative and power-abusive authorities--has caused me to take a career path change so that I may participate in sociological research and policy studies, all in an effort to contribute what I can to diffusing these kinds of matters.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 25,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giev View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback on Tally. I look forward to visiting with my family in a couple of weeks. I like the small town feel, coming from a Northern Michigan comunity of 14,000. We have always lived on one of the great lakes, but a nice beach within an hour is just fine.

Any info on the area called Killearn Lakes?
We lived in Killearn Lakes for 3 years. Its approximately 16 miles into town. That 16 miles will take you around 45 - 60 minutes in morning & evening rush hour. There had been a building moritorium for several years out thwat way & they are finally "catching up" with building stores, etc. Houses are pretty expensive in that area & tend to be overpriced. We had looked at house out there for $175K during the boom & its now selling for $163K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee