U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,606 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am a college student and have the opportunity to transfer to FSU from the bay area here in California, but don't know if it would be worth it. I have family in Tallahassee and have visited frequently when I was young, but my wife hasn't. We're a young couple, and not looking to move there long term, only until I finish my schooling.

My wife is Mexican and i'm black, so how are interracial relationships treated down there? Other than blacks and whites, how diverse is it?

Other than the malls and movie theaters and museums, what other type of entertainment happens down there?

Is there a lot of discrimination? From what I remember, the town was pretty segregated, so is it still like that?

Any other information that would help us make a decision would be great!

It's either move to Tallahassee or Austin, Texas to go to University of Texas!

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM

894 posts, read 4,151,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendyn74 View Post
Hey all,
I am a college student and have the opportunity to transfer to FSU from the bay area here in California, but don't know if it would be worth it. I have family in Tallahassee and have visited frequently when I was young, but my wife hasn't. We're a young couple, and not looking to move there long term, only until I finish my schooling.

My wife is Mexican and i'm black, so how are interracial relationships treated down there? Other than blacks and whites, how diverse is it?

Other than the malls and movie theaters and museums, what other type of entertainment happens down there?

Is there a lot of discrimination? From what I remember, the town was pretty segregated, so is it still like that?

Any other information that would help us make a decision would be great!

It's either move to Tallahassee or Austin, Texas to go to University of Texas!

Thanks in advance
Let's see, I have a son at FSU and he loves it there. We go to Tally a couple times a year, and I haven't seen any discrimination. You have to remember that most Of Tally is a college town, so you are going to get college type entertainment, ie, bars and clubs.

The weather in Tally can be down right unbearable in the summer. It is inland and it gets humid, really, humid. And buggy.

As a young couple, I would also look at the NE section of town, it doesn't have as many college kids living there and is a little more upscale.

What are you studying?

good luck!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 PM

286 posts, read 1,162,838 times
I hate to steer you clear of Tallahassee, but there's not much going on there. Are you going to grad school? It's a big party school, and is more for singles.

Although, this all depends on the opportunity you have at FSU. Parts of Tallahasse can be beautiful, and the St. Marks River is close by. The other nice thing is that you're pretty close to the Gulf and only 2 1/2 hours to Pensacola and 2 1/2 hours to Jacksonville on either side.

I personally like Austin over Tallahassee, and I'm from FL! Austin has such a great scene and is so much more of a fluid city. You don't just have college students, you've got a real mix of ages and personalities. Plus, the food is wonderful! The food in Tallahassee is pretty standard: Applebee's, Chili's, etc., with alot of college bars thrown in for good measure.

It's a tough call. I would take some time - even if it's a 3 day weekend and fly over to Austin and Tallahassee w/your wife. Then you can really get the feel for the two cities. Trust me, I've moved sight unseen before and I wish that I had taken the time to at least see the city before moving there!

Good luck

Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM

286 posts, read 1,162,838 times
Also, this is a great blog site called Austinist Austinist: Austin News, Food, Arts & Events

It's got alot of great info on the Austin scene!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Great help!!

Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to get my MBA wherever I go! I have been leaning towards Austin more because there is more to do and the cost of living.

I guess the main reason why I would go back to Tallahassee is because my grandmother is living by herself and wants company nearby! Not the best reason to make a decision on my life, but we'll see!

Thanks again for the input - I welcome more!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,587,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendyn74 View Post
Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to get my MBA wherever I go! I have been leaning towards Austin more because there is more to do and the cost of living.

I guess the main reason why I would go back to Tallahassee is because my grandmother is living by herself and wants company nearby! Not the best reason to make a decision on my life, but we'll see!

Thanks again for the input - I welcome more!
FSU is not a bad school (they have a great MBA program) and if it gives you the opportunity to spend time with your grandmother I say go for it. Its just temporary anyway.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
TD*

1,644 posts, read 3,642,520 times
you will love tallahassee, I am a senior undergrad there now and their is tons to do if u like to be outdoors and on the water.

It is a very accepting well educated place that has good planning and is persuing green energy and sustainability.

people often knock it because they dont venture out beyond the universities, when there is truly much more to offer.

come to tally, you won't be dissappointed

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,554,886 times
I came up here for school in 1987 and fell in love with the place. I have lived here ever since. It is a great place to raise a family.

If you are looking for an urban scene though, you need to look elsewhere. Tallahassee isn't as small as most people think, but it maintains a small-town atmosphere.

As to the racial issue: I am white and my wife is Mexican. We have never experience any kind of harassment in Tallahassee at all. Tally is a fairly liberal place on that subject, and there are a lot of interracial couples, even notable, public persons that are in interracial marriages.

What DOES happen occasionally is when my Mexican wife and her Mexican aunt are in Wal-Mart speaking Spanish with my very Anglo looking baby daughter in tow, some people tend to stare because a) you don't hear that much Spanish in Tallahassee and b) they may think the baby doesn't belong to her.

Outside of that, we have never had a problem. There is the occasional incident on the south side where the cops are accused of this or that (sometimes truthfully, sometimes not), but by and large Tallahassee is a racially tolerant place.

Now in the surrounding rural "red" counties (Tallahassee is a blue dot in the Bible Belt), things could be quite different...

Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
i'm polish,german,check,russian,italian,indian,irish,s weedish,and turkish...(but i apear to be your adverage white) i'v lived here my whole life (my boyfriend[mexican] just move from mexico 3 yrs ago) and i like it here, however i'v noticed that there is still an uneasy amount of discrimination here in florida...however it is more or less it's against the white/cacuation than anything else. like any state you have your idiots who do the whole name calling thing and people who will just avoid you directly. tallahassee is ok and pretty level as far as inter raceal gos. pinellas park has a lot of asain/white cupples, saint pete has just about everything...but has a lot of gang related-crap. orlando had some black and white mix and orlando and fort laderdale have a big some of black-mix cupples. largo i think would be the safest for a mex/black mix, ssince there are a lot of mexicans and blacks there. Also homosexualality is becoming more and more excepted in florida, so i don't think the whole race thing will be a big problem for you....not to mention how barbaric even the idea of raceisum is. there are also people who beleve that (for example) only black can say n**** and only mex can say b***** and so on, but thats stupid i feel...no one should say such things.
ps:most parts of florida are use to people speaking different languages ^ ^

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks again

So how often do you see hispanics? Is it more like evertime you go to the store, or once a while you hear someone speaking spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee