U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,534,226 times

Advertisements

Ok, does anyone know if Tallahassee is experiencing the same kind of lackluster market as South Florida? From what I've been told, Tallahassee has not and is not experiencing the same troubles as down there, but I don't exactly see the homes in my area being snatched up. Mine least of all!

I am currently trying to sell my townhome here. It's listed right at what the other townhomes in the same neighborhood are going for (except for two, priced waaay lower that haven't moved either)... AND it has more upgrades + nicer landscaping than the others.

Since listing about 20 days ago, however, there has been ONE showing. Which lasted about 5 minutes!! At what point do I start blaming the realtor for not driving traffic to the townhome, and at what point do I begin responding to a falling market to drop the price and attract buyers? I feel that buyers SHOULD know that the list price is not final! That they CAN haggle! But am I wrong? Will buying season "pick up" soon? My deadline to close is May 5th so I can relocate back home, but of course the sooner it sells the better so I can save on Mortgage payments for a couple months at least!

I HATE this whole house selling experience. It's more stress than I need right now in the midst of trying to graduate and find employment down South! I am thoroughly displeased with my realtor's lack of apparent enthusiasm, but feel locked into my contract (he wants to do a TWO HOUR open house tomorrow, and I have told him he needs to bump it up to FOUR and advertise heavily for it. No response yet.) If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,724,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ok, does anyone know if Tallahassee is experiencing the same kind of lackluster market as South Florida? From what I've been told, Tallahassee has not and is not experiencing the same troubles as down there, but I don't exactly see the homes in my area being snatched up. Mine least of all!

I am currently trying to sell my townhome here. It's listed right at what the other townhomes in the same neighborhood are going for (except for two, priced waaay lower that haven't moved either)... AND it has more upgrades + nicer landscaping than the others.

Since listing about 20 days ago, however, there has been ONE showing. Which lasted about 5 minutes!! At what point do I start blaming the realtor for not driving traffic to the townhome, and at what point do I begin responding to a falling market to drop the price and attract buyers? I feel that buyers SHOULD know that the list price is not final! That they CAN haggle! But am I wrong? Will buying season "pick up" soon? My deadline to close is May 5th so I can relocate back home, but of course the sooner it sells the better so I can save on Mortgage payments for a couple months at least!

I HATE this whole house selling experience. It's more stress than I need right now in the midst of trying to graduate and find employment down South! I am thoroughly displeased with my realtor's lack of apparent enthusiasm, but feel locked into my contract (he wants to do a TWO HOUR open house tomorrow, and I have told him he needs to bump it up to FOUR and advertise heavily for it. No response yet.) If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it!
20 DAYS!!!!! Try a time frame of maybe six months to sell. Your realtor can't make people buy. All he can do it show it and hope for the best. The truth is, unless you have something really different, townhouses are a dime a dozen and price is all you can really do to move a buyer. That is just a sad truth in this kind of market.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
20 DAYS!!!!! Try a time frame of maybe six months to sell. Your realtor can't make people buy. All he can do it show it and hope for the best. The truth is, unless you have something really different, townhouses are a dime a dozen and price is all you can really do to move a buyer. That is just a sad truth in this kind of market.

It's not so much 20 days.... but the lack of even a SHOWING in 20 days. My townhouse is in a planned "new urban" community, with homes ranging from townhouses like mine to million dollars+ estate homes.... so it's not quite the same game as the outlying area (which ARE cheaper sometimes, but the areas they are in are less desirable). New townhomes are going up in this neighborhood, but at a higher price than the pre-existing ones on the market.

Thanks though. I know I need patience, but the thought of being saddled with this place drives me crazy, and is a hard one to shake. Maybe I'm spoiled by the experience of my best friend. He put his townhouse in port st. lucie on the market in 2005 and sold without a realtor in a week, lol. My how times have changed.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,724,224 times
Quote:
It's not so much 20 days.... but the lack of even a SHOWING in 20 days. My townhouse is in a planned "new urban" community, with homes ranging from townhouses like mine to million dollars+ estate homes.... so it's not quite the same game as the outlying area (which ARE cheaper sometimes, but the areas they are in are less desirable). New townhomes are going up in this neighborhood, but at a higher price than the pre-existing ones on the market.

Thanks though. I know I need patience, but the thought of being saddled with this place drives me crazy, and is a hard one to shake. Maybe I'm spoiled by the experience of my best friend. He put his townhouse in port st. lucie on the market in 2005 and sold without a realtor in a week, lol. My how times have changed.
I bought three lots in a very nice gated community and sold one at the height of the market in a very short time. The other I over priced and after a while cut the price and managed to get it sold. The third I sat on maybe going to build myself but decided to sell it. It has been about 8 months and I will be closing on it next week. Now the prices. I paid $26,000 for each lot and sold the first for $180,000 and the second a while later after asking as much as $229,000 for $160,000.

The last one I am now selling I am getting $130,000 and really happy to be getting it. Like I said about your property, you may think it is something special but in reality, they are a dime a dozen. Price is the only chip you have to play in this market, no one needs your property, they will just go down the street. I would talk to buyers and tell them about the lake and tennis courts and all the amenities in the community, all they cared about was price. My lots by the way were all over an acre in a community with $600,000 to Million plus homes.

You feel what you have is so valuable and it may be to the right buyer. But to sell quick, price is all that matters from my experience, I the final analysis, it is just another piece of property on the market, nothing special. l am sure your agent would love to move it but what can he/she do? If you have an idea suggest it to them.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 AM

9,368 posts, read 23,890,343 times
Is it in Southwood?......

Old 02-10-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Is it in Southwood?......

Yeap, it's in Southwood. It's an awfully nice neighborhood, and I'm going to miss it, but it's time to head back home!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Yeap, it's in Southwood. It's an awfully nice neighborhood, and I'm going to miss it, but it's time to head back home!
Do they make you list with their Realtors at Southwood?

I would guess that with the newly elected officials heading to town, you might see a little more activity. Especially with so many changes in the cabinet. There is a message board in the capitol where you could post the listing. It is in the basement across from the cafeteria, unless things have changed in a couple of years.

Where is home?

Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Do they make you list with their Realtors at Southwood?

I would guess that with the newly elected officials heading to town, you might see a little more activity. Especially with so many changes in the cabinet. There is a message board in the capitol where you could post the listing. It is in the basement across from the cafeteria, unless things have changed in a couple of years.

Where is home?

No, you can use your own realtor. What they MAKE you do is buy their "sign" so that everyone has the same, uniform for sale sign, lol.

I believe that we have looked into the Capitol listing board. Not sure if he has posted it yet, but I'll definitely press him to do it, especially since I didn't think about the new cabinet members.

Home is the West Palm/Treasure Coast area. But I'm going to RENT for a couple years!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
No, you can use your own realtor. What they MAKE you do is buy their "sign" so that everyone has the same, uniform for sale sign, lol.

I believe that we have looked into the Capitol listing board. Not sure if he has posted it yet, but I'll definitely press him to do it, especially since I didn't think about the new cabinet members.

Home is the West Palm/Treasure Coast area. But I'm going to RENT for a couple years!!!!
I'm from Lighthouse Point- wish I never had left. I can't afford to return and own a home there.

The days are getting nicer- are you planning an open house?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Open house is tomorrow, actually. I had to tell the realtor to do four hours instead of two. Those extra hours can count, in my opinion!

I'm concerned that he hasn't advertised enough. If you've been to Southwood, you know that it's not the kind of place that gets "drive by traffic".... so I hope he isn't relying on THAT and signs posted on the major roads to direct passersby who just *happen* to be in the market!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee