Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Eh... Tallahassee is a great college town, if you want that and able to focus on getting degree it is good. Tallahassee is good for going to college, and raising a family, not much else though... so once you are done here... better to look elsewhere for a career, or, out of FL altogether most likely. As far as condos/apartments there are way too many to just name a few...depends where you want to be located really, and what your prices are... rent isn't outrageous here, but it isn't cheap either due to high demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
I think that Tallahassee is a great place- has many restaurants and stores. No, not on the same scale as a big city, but lots going on in such a small package.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 64,116 times
I just left Tallahassee after living there for eight months. It's a nice town but it wasn't for me although there are some things I miss about it now that I'm out of there.

The one thing I really didn't like about it was the cost of airfare from Tallahassee to New York City. There are no direct flights and the average airfare for many of my trips to NY was around $600 (and five to six hour travel time stopping over in Atlanta). If you won't be flying back to Detroit or anywhere else all that much, then it shouldn't be an issue for you like it was for me.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
You get the high airfare problem in a lot of small metros in the Southeast. Delta will have 75% or more of the flights at an airport, and it works out as an effective monopoly in airline terms.

It was better for a while when Northwest got serious about the region, but I expect prices to go up again because of the Delta-NWA merger.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 28,861 times
Thanks alot for your opinion. I grew up in the city but after graduating from highschool, i moved out of detroit and ive been living in warren,mi which is in macomb county, i like macomb county better, its more shopping plazas, more safe, and plus i work in macomb . Im not really worried about the different cultures because ive been around all different types of people and basically i can adapt to any environment as long as its clean,(trust me ive seen almost any kind of person u can think of in detroit and i know i cant be any worse than this) i know its a college town also but i plan to continue school anyway,basically i can get along with anyone with a good heart and good intentions so im looking foward to this small southern city. Once again thanks to you all. I would still like more opinions too. OH ANOTHER THINK I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANY,SKATING RINKS,BOWLING ALLEYS OR FITNESS GYMS IN TALLAHASSEE.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Default moving from MN to Tallahasee

i'm in the same situation and need help , i have 2 kids 5 and 6
was wondering how are the schools there ?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,304 times
I lived in Tallahassee for 18 years, raised my daughter there. Like anywhere if you get into the right area of town, the public schools are good. As for skating rinks there is one that attracts mostly middle school age kids, I never saw many college age people there and it is at about the opposite side of town from FSU. Out around FSU there was a bowling alley and a cheap theater, not sure they are still there but there are other bowling alleys and movie theaters and gyms. I do caution anyone moving there right now, there is pretty much only 2 main employers, the State and the universities FSU and FAMU. The state is cutting billions of dollars from the budget and I know there is a hiring freeze on, those cuts are also impacting the universities too so I'd bet they are not hiring either. There is no real industry there other than these employers and what I disliked the most about about Tallahassee is you are a 2 hour drive to get anywhere else, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Panama City, etc...Tallahassee is really in the middle of no where which is why the airfares to get in and out of there are so high. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed living there but was glad when I left.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl101 View Post
well i know my name is city girl but im not a typical city girl,im not really into partying and going to the hottest events, i want to get out of the big city and move to a warmer climate and focus on getting my degree. Virginia was the first place i started to look at and i liked it alot but ive had second thoughts about it, i dont operate in doubt so Virginia is out of the question for now. i have a good feeling about Tallahassee and i know that if i can survive in Detroit i can survive anywhere
Just FYI - it will be around 15 degrees F this Friday night in Tallahassee.

(But really, that only happens a few days out of the year).

You will find "surviving" in Tallahassee a lot easier than doing so in Detroit, I think. It is not the most exciting place to live, but I haven't found a good reason to leave in 20 years. For the most part, it is a clean, green, well-run city, unlike most of the state of Florida.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl101 View Post
Thanks alot for your opinion. I grew up in the city but after graduating from highschool, i moved out of detroit and ive been living in warren,mi which is in macomb county, i like macomb county better, its more shopping plazas, more safe, and plus i work in macomb . Im not really worried about the different cultures because ive been around all different types of people and basically i can adapt to any environment as long as its clean,(trust me ive seen almost any kind of person u can think of in detroit and i know i cant be any worse than this) i know its a college town also but i plan to continue school anyway,basically i can get along with anyone with a good heart and good intentions so im looking foward to this small southern city. Once again thanks to you all. I would still like more opinions too. OH ANOTHER THINK I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANY,SKATING RINKS,BOWLING ALLEYS OR FITNESS GYMS IN TALLAHASSEE.

There is much more to Tallahassee than being a college town. The college stuff is pretty much limited to that area just west and south of downtown.

Yes, we have all the above amenities. In fact we are up to our necks in fitness gyms.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshbsh View Post
i'm in the same situation and need help , i have 2 kids 5 and 6
was wondering how are the schools there ?
Generally good/better than the rest of the state.

DeSoto Trail Elementary is two blocks from my house and a very good "Blue Ribbon" school. Many parts of the city (including mine) are very family/kid oriented.

It is not unusual to see elementary age kids walking to school from home. No I am not kidding. That does still happen in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee