U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 26,710 times

Advertisements

I wanted to move out of Detroit, Michigan for a while now,but i never knew where to go. I looked at virginia beach which seems really nice but i think i should hold out on virginia for the moment,because right now im single with no children and i rather be in a city where theres more going on; to me Virginia seems kind of reserved and maybe in my mid 30's ill think about going there; but now i want to go back to school to get my career going and i think i would meet more people and have a wider selection of things to choose from in a broader city,so ive decided to move to Tallahassee, Florida. I have my Aunt and cousin there and my mom might relocate to live with her sister too(my aunt). My question is what are some nice apartments/condos I should check out, i want to relocate by October this year. Im so ready to leave this cold weather.

Last edited by citygirl101; 01-04-2009 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: missed some words
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,561,355 times
If you are a "citygirl" then Tallahassee may not be a good fit for you, its a smaller town. I think you should consider cities like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, or Orlando that would offer greater city amenities and activities. All of these cities also have great public and private universities so that you can continue your education.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 AM

72 posts, read 150,093 times
If you are single, no kids and are looking for more going on, I would think Va. Bch. would be a better choice than Tallahassee.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM

10,777 posts, read 19,128,061 times
Tallahassee is pretty much Lansing with palm trees and without the snow and auto plants. If you like smaller metro areas like that, it can be a good fit, but I'd also look at University of South Florida if you want a bigger urban experience.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 PM

130 posts, read 249,878 times
I live in Crawfordville Florida which is about 30 minutes south of Tallahassee and in these parts of Florida its really southern and the pace of life is very slow even in the college town of Tallahassee. Tahllahassee is a great southern town. Dont be offended if you see Confederate flags flying because you will see alot in these parts.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM

well i know my name is city girl but im not a typical city girl,im not really into partying and going to the hottest events, i want to get out of the big city and move to a warmer climate and focus on getting my degree. Virginia was the first place i started to look at and i liked it alot but ive had second thoughts about it, i dont operate in doubt so Virginia is out of the question for now. i have a good feeling about Tallahassee and i know that if i can survive in Detroit i can survive anywhere

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,561,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl101 View Post
i have a good feeling about Tallahassee and i know that if i can survive in Detroit i can survive anywhere
If you have made up your mind than just go for it. Good luck

Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM

yeah guys im gonna pass on VA for right now, but what are some other cities near Tallahassee rather they are big or small. i hear the closest beach is 2 hrs away but thats fine. by any chance by Tallahassee being a small town is there anything(event wise) to look foward too a certain time of the year or any social events near downtown area.

Last edited by citygirl101; 01-06-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 3,956,138 times
Tallahassee is a medium-sized town. Probably the best thing to compare it to in Michigan is Lansing/East Lansing because you have the capitol and the university. But other than that, There isn't too much. As far as events, Tallahassee revolves around football season. August to December Seminole football is life. (At least for me). The Friday night before each home game is the Downtown Getdown which is a fun time even if you aren't a football fan. There's food, music, and all kinds of stuff.

I love Tallahassee, but coming from Detroit, it will be a big culture shock for you. From the urbanized North to the sleepy South.

Towns within driving distance to Tallahassee would be mainly Crawfordville and Monticello. Both of which are very small and not much going on.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM

360 posts, read 706,770 times
Though I've grown up and still live in the South, I am a seasoned traveler and have been all over the country. I almost moved to the Detroit area for a job a few years ago (and I actually really like the suburban area). I've also been to Detroit a few times so I can relate.

First of all, what part of Detroit are you from? Detroit proper vs. Oakland or Macomb County is a HUGE difference. I would never live IN Detroit or really anywhere in Wayne County; however, Novi, Wixom, Farmington Hills, etc. are wonderful places. I passed on the job because of the $ and the commute. I couldn't live anywhere near the job (in Dearborn) and couldn't justify a 30+ mile commute from Oakland County. (BTW the pay for the job was $33k a year for an accounting manager trainee program--you can't live off of that in Detroit).

Basically if you want a smaller, medium sized city that has everything and most of your major stores, then places like Tallahassee would fit. It's mostly a college town though, so I don't know if that bothers you. The culture is different down here but not everyone is a backwoods redneck. Though I find these folks obnoxious, I find some of the hood rats and trash of the city to be just as bad. You have good and bad people wherever you go, but that's common sense and most know that.

The cost of living and the commute will be much better here and kiss those pot-holed horrible Michigan roads goodbye. There's no state income tax in FL, which is nice also. If you move to the DC area of VA, the cost of living is actually much higher than Detroit, so you might want to think about that. Your dollar goes much further in the South. As a result, wages are typically lower, but I've found that it's still cheaper to live here. I used to want to get out of the South but the higher wages in the North do not make up for the cost of living.

If you're from a static suburb like anytown USA, then you'll do fine in any average city like Tallahassee. Be prepared for horrid summers though. You won't find me outside in the 95 degree weather with 100% humidity.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee