Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM

26 posts, read 100,944 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating somewhere, not where were at, no jobs, no opportunities. I have been told Tallahassee is nice. I am wondering how the jobs are in that area. I am also wondering about the weather, about hurricanes, and basically if its a good area to move with kids and to start a better life. If anyone out there has anything to tell me, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to know the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Tallahassee is a great place for families and for raising kids. Most people who live here really like it, in fact a lot of people come to Tallahassee for FSU and then just stay here. People do complain about traffic, but having lived in Miami I tell them they don't know what they're talking about.

The weather in North Fla. is different from that farther south -- in Tallahassee we get cold weather (like in the teens, sometimes) in winter, and it's considerably hotter here in summer than in Miami, for example. No sea breeze here.

The landscape also looks different from places farther south: we have live oak trees with Spanish moss rather than palm trees (we're very proud of our trees), and the land here is much hillier than in most of the rest of FL. Actually it looks more like Georgia or Alabama than it does like the rest of FL. This is the Deep South, with all that's good and bad about that.

We have been very, very lucky in escaping the hurricanes that have plagued the rest of the state. I have read that because of our geographical location we are less likely to be directly hit by a hurricane than other locations farther west, such as Pensacola. I don't know if that's true but it sounds good to me. Still, we're constantly warned to be ready for a hurricane strike. The last one that did any damage here was back in the mid-80's. (It also snowed here in the mid-80's!)

Now for the bad news: Finding employment here will be difficult, with this economic downturn. The major employers, FSU and state government, have either frozen new hires or are not actively seeking very many new employees. So while I highly recommend Tallahassee for you and your family, if you have a job where you're living now, I'd suggest trying to get a job in Tallahassee before moving here.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,806 times
I agree with Weindell, I use to work in Governor's budget office and when there are revenue shortfalls, all position vacancies in all state agencies and at the universities are frozen and usually those positions eliminated as part of budget cuts......

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM

73 posts, read 187,043 times
If you are looking for a place to stay short term, I would recommend
www.thepinestallahassee.com they offer short term housing incase you need to move.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Sugar, People love it here, its constantly rated high as a great place to live and to raise kids. People tell me all the time they move up here from South Florida and Love it, because its not as crowded, and the quality of life here is very high!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcandy View Post
My family and I are relocating somewhere, not where were at, no jobs, no opportunities. I have been told Tallahassee is nice. I am wondering how the jobs are in that area. I am also wondering about the weather, about hurricanes, and basically if its a good area to move with kids and to start a better life. If anyone out there has anything to tell me, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to know the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks....

I'm just waiting for grapico to chime un about the lack of night life for yuppies.

If you have a family and are past the college-party days, but also want to live in a place that is not too big but still has culture and lots of family-oriented stuff, then Tallahassee is worth a look.

It is a college town...but that really only applies to the areas around campus and those places frequented by the students outside those areas. Away from campus, Tallahassee is a clean, green family-oriented place for the most part.

Don't worry about the weather or hurricanes. Of all the places in Florida to live, Tallahassee is one of the safest in this context.

The bad? 4-6 hours to major city.

The ugly? Some of the central and southern parts of town

The rest is beautiful. Visit now in the spring while all the flowers are blooming.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee