U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,432 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid-twenties and will be moving to Tallahassee for a year. I would like some advice on good areas to live (apartments) that are safe, nice, have parking, and are suitable for this age group. I don't want to be with a bunch of college kids who party non-stop, but I also don't want to be with families or old people. Ideally an area with young professionals would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,597,144 times
Check out Southwood, Also check out north east Tallahassee,

Both of these areas are away from the "student side of town" however are both very nice.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM

5,061 posts, read 3,775,903 times
Check Eagle's Landing, Castle Apartments, Tanager Apts, or any of the Arbor Properties on the NE side of town.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM

73 posts, read 174,428 times
I would look into www.thepinestallahassee.com They offer short term rentals until you find out what or where you like. They are very secure and was not a student complex. Very affordable with a great staff. You can look at them and others on www.apartmentratings.com

Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,364,984 times
just a word of warning, tallahassee caters to about the 18-23 range, but most people are burned out with the college scene after junior year. ... and then people with families... not much young professional stuff to do. for somebody 24-40 and single ...ouch. I feel for you. Even if you are young and together without a family with no intentions on one ...ouch (I feel for myself!) It is a university and government town (obviously.) I am 28 and bored out of my mind here... gf the same way... we can't wait to leave. It ranks high for the mentioned ranges though. It is also not a young singles town at all...We most recently hail from SF and Chicago though, so... your mileage may differ.
Also, hope you can find a job... (another reason we are leaving and getting into a more diversified market.) The largest employers here are FSU and State of FL and Law Firms, besides that a bunch of chain stores and restaurants...handful of other business who pay seriously low wages comparatively. 70k students can bring wages down (working min wage for internships and experience) and government restrictions can do this easily as well for the local job market.
The city caters very well, possibly too well for its 2 main interests, and not much else.
If you were younger, or older with a family, I would give you different advice, but can't do that for you bud. Good luck.

Last edited by grapico; 03-24-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 AM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,597,144 times
Dont listen to grapico, he trolls on all these threads.

You just cant please some people, hes one of them.

Anyhow As i said before, come take a look, You will be glad you did.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,898,064 times
Default I don't think he's too far off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Dont listen to grapico, he trolls on all these threads.

You just cant please some people, hes one of them.

Anyhow As i said before, come take a look, You will be glad you did.
grapico makes some fair points ... I grew up in TLH, still have family there, and love the city ... but the job opportunities there aren't as great as other places. I make somewhat more in Atlanta than I would for a similar job in TLH, which is one of the main reasons why I don't live there now. TLH is a govt/university/services town, with almost nothing in the way of manufacturing, high-tech business, or the financial sector.

There are a lot of great things about TLH and I give it high marks - but it is not a very "business-friendly" town in my opinion. No place is perfect, and that is its drawback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: