U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM

59 posts, read 187,071 times

Advertisements

Florida State is one of the schools I am interested in attending next year for grad school. I don't know anything about Tallahassee and I would like any info y'all can give me.

How are the neighborhoods and the people? I have school aged children, so how are the schools? What is there to do for fun? How close is Tallahassee to the coast? Is housing affordable?

As you can see, I have a lot of questions. Any info would be wonderful.

I'm deciding between Tallahassee and New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans and feel very much myself and at home there. Will I feel the same about Tallahassee?

Looking forward to your posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
TD*

1,637 posts, read 3,624,090 times
Florida State is a great school. It is rich in history and has great architecture in its older buildings. The campus looks great and is well landscaped and manicured. The weather here is gorgeous.

The schools here for kids are great as well. I went through the public schools myself and I turned out alright.

I just graduated from Florida State in December and it was a great 4 years. If you want a family friendly city this is the place to be.

We offer a very high quality of life, with many parks, many outdoor excursions etc.

We are surrounded by natural beauty such as St Marks Wildlife refuge and Wakulla Springs Park.

Tallahassee is 18 Miles from the beach and about 20 miles from the Georgia Line.

The closest 'Nice" beach is St george Island which is about 1.5 hours away.

However If you just want to see the water you can go to St marks, Panacea, Mashes Sands, Alligator Point, Shell Point, etc. Which are all within 30-45 minutes drive.

Also, The best beaches in the world are only 2.5 - 3.5 hours away in the panhandle. The emerald coast stretching from Panama City to Pensacola offers sugar white sand and blue green water that takes your breath away.

People that come here tend to love it, and even if you don't stay after schooling you will like your time here. It is a unique part of florida with Rolling Hills and it has nice trees.

I say come down and give it a try, You wont regret it.

People after me may have different opinions, but take it from someone who was born here, lived here their entire life, and graduated from the school you want to go to.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,538,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
Florida State is one of the schools I am interested in attending next year for grad school. I don't know anything about Tallahassee and I would like any info y'all can give me.

How are the neighborhoods and the people? I have school aged children, so how are the schools? What is there to do for fun? How close is Tallahassee to the coast? Is housing affordable?

As you can see, I have a lot of questions. Any info would be wonderful.

I'm deciding between Tallahassee and New Orleans. I LOVE New Orleans and feel very much myself and at home there. Will I feel the same about Tallahassee?

Looking forward to your posts.
I have lived in both places for extended periods. I grew up in NOLA and have lived in Tallahassee for over 20 years. Gallatiore's was the first *real* restaurant I ever ate in as a kid, and is still my most favorite place to eat on the planet.

The two cities are not really comparable. New Orleans is New Orleans. There is no other. It is a wonderful place to live, culturally speaking, but having been a kid there and witnessed two murders before the age of 5 I don't think it is necessarily the best place to raise a child. But then again, I lived in Algiers...

Tallahassee is a very family/kid oriented place, once you get away from the university and surrouning area. There are people here that will tell you that Tallahassee is not much more than a college town. Do not listen to them - they probably came here for undergrad and never got more than 2 miles from campus.

The "good" neighborhoods, and thus a bit more expensive, are in the northeast quadrant and some new stuff in the southeast ('Southwood").

I agree with pretty much everything TD* says above (usually do). Tallahassee is not the most exciting place on earth if you are a young, single, childless yuppie looking for action, but I cannot tell you how many people I know that went to school here and then moved BACK to raise kids, because they didn't want to do that in Atlanta/Tampa/Miami/etc.

Long story short, it's nice, the people are polite and generally friendly, it seems conservative in appearance but is actually moderately liberal, it is a lot cleaner than most cities in Florida and is covered with and surrounded by forest. Big enough, but not too big.

And hey, NOLA is just a few hours away on I-10, if you really need that Eggs Sardou.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,454,312 times
It is good for families and schools if you are on the East side of town, if you were single and grad school I would advise differently. It is also very southern if this type of thing is not or is your thing.

Be wary that FSU is under some serious budget cuts possibly cutting 21 programs altogether, closing down the Panama City Campus as well as limiting other programs to core classes. Some of the stuff I was potentially going to do will now be up in the air so not even going to risk it, I am there now as Non Degree Seeking but was applying formally for the fall, now I'm not.

Given you are going to grad school, its future reputation might be flawed including tier 1 status.

As far as the cultural scene it doesn't hold weight on New Orleans at all.

The weather is nice if you like it SUPER hot... i.e. hotter than most of the rest of Florida. Some people like this, some people don't.

The east side of town is nice, some of the nicest in the south east for "family stuff" price wise, west of monroe and south of gaines it is pretty dirty/grimy littered with walmarts and fast food.

The campus itself is nice, the area around it, not so much.

I would not bother with any of the local beaches if you are going there "for a day at the beach", no waves, bad sand full of shells, lots of rednecks. St. Marks and Wakulla springs are cool though. Take the 1.5 hour drive to st. george p.c. or destin.

It is one of the better cities in the region for public schools though.

I am guessing you were thinking of Tulane?

Since you have kids I would definitely pick Tallahassee over New Orleans though...

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It is good for families and schools if you are on the East side of town, if you were single and grad school I would advise differently. It is also very southern if this type of thing is not or is your thing.

Be wary that FSU is under some serious budget cuts possibly cutting 21 programs altogether, closing down the Panama City Campus as well as limiting other programs to core classes. Some of the stuff I was potentially going to do will now be up in the air so not even going to risk it, I am there now as Non Degree Seeking but was applying formally for the fall, now I'm not.

Given you are going to grad school, its future reputation might be flawed including tier 1 status.

As far as the cultural scene it doesn't hold weight on New Orleans at all.

The weather is nice if you like it SUPER hot... i.e. hotter than most of the rest of Florida. Some people like this, some people don't.

The east side of town is nice, some of the nicest in the south east for "family stuff" price wise, west of monroe and south of gaines it is pretty dirty/grimy littered with walmarts and fast food.

The campus itself is nice, the area around it, not so much.

I would not bother with any of the local beaches if you are going there "for a day at the beach", no waves, bad sand full of shells, lots of rednecks. St. Marks and Wakulla springs are cool though. Take the 1.5 hour drive to st. george p.c. or destin.

It is one of the better cities in the region for public schools though.

I am guessing you were thinking of Tulane?

Since you have kids I would definitely pick Tallahassee over New Orleans though...

Sorry the thing about cutting the programs at FSU was all BS. Its not going to happen. The only reason T.K. brought it up was to get media and students involved so that it wont happen.

Don't always believe what you hear and make decisions based upon news headlines..

IF you decided not to apply based upon a news breif, then its your loss, because none of those programs that are supposedly in jeopardy will be going anywhere.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Sorry the thing about cutting the programs at FSU was all BS. Its not going to happen. The only reason T.K. brought it up was to get media and students involved so that it wont happen.

Don't always believe what you hear and make decisions based upon news headlines..

IF you decided not to apply based upon a news breif, then its your loss, because none of those programs that are supposedly in jeopardy will be going anywhere.
They have already cut classes for several things actually...this can be seen just looking at the recently released summer and fall classes they are offering vs. the 2008 ones. I hope it doesn't happen! I have a degree from there already and do not want to see it devalued.
For me there it was a combination of, limited class offerings (taking longer) and some better program & tuition elsewhere along with how they evaluate transcripts. I took some classes in Illinois that they won't take.

Why do you think this is not going to happen though?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
They have already cut classes for several things actually...this can be seen just looking at the recently released summer and fall classes they are offering vs. the 2008 ones. I hope it doesn't happen! I have a degree from there already and do not want to see it devalued.
For me there it was a combination of, limited class offerings (taking longer) and some better program & tuition elsewhere along with how they evaluate transcripts. I took some classes in Illinois that they won't take.

Why do you think this is not going to happen though?
I know, lets leave it at that.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah I thought that could be an exercise in scare tactics 101 by the U Admin

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,898,376 times
Quote:
All Universities are going to have some cuts. Most schools are talking up worst case scenarios in hopes it scares the senate into not cutting much.

If FSU doesn't cut anything they are just using the stimulus money that is only good for two years and betting that the economy will bounce back in two years. Good luck with that. If they don't have cuts now they'll only be delaying it for two years.

Last edited by Gatornation; 04-22-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
All Universities are going to have some cuts. Most schools are talking up worst case scenarios in hopes it scares the senate into not cutting much.

If FSU doesn't cut anything they are just using the stimulus money that is only good for two years and betting that the economy will bounce back in two years. Good luck with that. If they don't have cuts now they'll only be delaying it for two years.
Listening to uneducated comments like these could get you thinking the wrong thing.

Thats the whole point... The economy should be fine over the course of the next few years and so biting the bullet for a year is the best course of action to save the programs for the long haul.

This is what is going to happen, we will all be fine in the next year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee