Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

I'm a 39 year old single guy looking for a fall/winter/spring location. I would live in Portland or Seattle in summers. My job is via the Internet so employment isn't the issue. Big college basketball fan, like the outdoors, golf. I want to buy a craftsman style house close to town. I currently have live in Cali. for 20 years and I'm looking for more affordable housing + outdoors + a mid sized town with character and a progressive feel.

Has anyone spent time in Athens GA and Tallahassee FL? Can you give me opinions of both? Also considering: Baton Rouge LA, Lexington KY, Charlottesville VA, Asheville NC, and Fayetteville AR.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a 39 year old single guy looking for a fall/winter/spring location. I would live in Portland or Seattle in summers. My job is via the Internet so employment isn't the issue. Big college basketball fan, like the outdoors, golf. I want to buy a craftsman style house close to town. I currently have live in Cali. for 20 years and I'm looking for more affordable housing + outdoors + a mid sized town with character and a progressive feel.

Has anyone spent time in Athens GA and Tallahassee FL? Can you give me opinions of both? Also considering: Baton Rouge LA, Lexington KY, Charlottesville VA, Asheville NC, and Fayetteville AR.

Thanks!
Fla. may have some tax advantages.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Athens is a great place to spend you college years and the early half of your 20's. An Athens GA winter can and does get cold and icy for a few months. If I were a 39 year old single guy looking to get away to warmer weather and a good mature single scene, I'd be in South FL

Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Do a search around, you will find numerous threads on Tallahassee. I've lived here 20+ years and love it. I think it is bigger than Athens and thus has more going on, but as most people will tell you, Tallahassee is a great college town, and a nice place to raise a family, but it is not the most exciting place.

But if I were you, I'd be looking at Asheville first. It's gorgeous.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
Default Athens vs TLH

Strel - the mountains around Asheville are beautiful, but Asheville's combination of homeless, hippies, and locals can resemble a freakshow at times.

Regarding the initial post, many of the towns you listed are quite different. If you're narrowing it down to Athens vs Tallahassee, then Athens has the benefit of being close to Atlanta, but it is also more of a true college town than TLH. TLH certainly has a lot of college students, but there are some parts of the city where it doesn't feel like a college town, for better or for worse.

If you like being close to the mountains, Atlanta, and a more vibrant music/college atmosphere, then go with Athens. But also be aware of the weather differences.

If you prefer being closer to the beach, a very mild winter, and a more family-oriented place (with the benefits of a large university presence), then go with TLH.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Strel - the mountains around Asheville are beautiful, but Asheville's combination of homeless, hippies, and locals can resemble a freakshow at times.

Regarding the initial post, many of the towns you listed are quite different. If you're narrowing it down to Athens vs Tallahassee, then Athens has the benefit of being close to Atlanta, but it is also more of a true college town than TLH. TLH certainly has a lot of college students, but there are some parts of the city where it doesn't feel like a college town, for better or for worse.

If you like being close to the mountains, Atlanta, and a more vibrant music/college atmosphere, then go with Athens. But also be aware of the weather differences.

If you prefer being closer to the beach, a very mild winter, and a more family-oriented place (with the benefits of a large university presence), then go with TLH.
I heard it had gone hippie...which is OK with me, to a point. We have them in Tallahassee too but they tend to be Old South hippies that take showers, get haircuts and smoke pot indoors and discreetly LOL. Hippies with business degrees...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I've spent some time in both and was never fond of Athens. Just my opinion.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
oystercatcher...the problem with South FL are the crowds, congestion, crime, attitude, expense to live close to the beach, etc.... I prefer that winter climate down there but it comes with a lot of downsides.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
oystercatcher...the problem with South FL are the crowds, congestion, crime, attitude, expense to live close to the beach, etc.... I prefer that winter climate down there but it comes with a lot of downsides.
You would probably be surprised to see how comparable the crime rate in Leon County is to Palm Beach County and Broward County (actually lower per-capita), and it's not exactly 1980 anymore in Miami-Dade. Can't argue the rest though.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...-Profiles.aspx

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Quote:
I hear ya, did you want to know more about Athens? I know it well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee